Blon in ear monitors impressions thread
Oct 12, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #31 of 6,129
Thanks, friend :)

Believe it or not, I was literally just checking that exact minutes before seeing your post. I’m happy to report that it still works perfectly fine with the stock cable!

Also, if anyone is interested, I’m currently using the Blons with the JC Ally QDC 8-core balanced cable (filed/modded socket of course).

The Blons do seem to give some benefits from more power. I have tried them in combination with the FiiO E12A and A5, with good results. However, I am in totally in love when running in balanced mode! Those with the ES100, try enabling 2x (balanced) mode. It makes a noticeable difference over 1x (balanced) mode. Very, very clean sound.

Can anyone provide more details about the supposed sound difference between the brown and silver colors? I forget who it was that 1st made the comment, but I’m skeptical that Blon would intentionally do this. I have a feeling any difference (real or perceived) could be chalked up to normal manufacturing variance. But who knows.

Bonus fact: The stock Blon cable works on TFZ IEMs with the NX7-style socket. Although, while the TFZ cable technically fits the Blon too, it doesn’t sit down all the way and therefore leaves a little gap from the extra bit of the Blon socket sticking up.
i was the one who find that there is a difference, i am waiting for second silver pair from the same store to confirm if it is retuned or just early batch or something, or the newest final tuning
the brown pair is warm and full, the upper bass and lower mids are more, treble is less
the silver pair has less upper bass, same sub bass, that gives the tonality less warmth, cleaner down there, the treble at the same time is more on the silver pair
at the end they have different presentation, brown pair very full and musical, silver pair less full but cleaner and with better soundstage because of the added treble and less upper bass

Oct 12, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #32 of 6,129
Both Symbio peel and Whirlwind widebores work perfectly for me in terms of fit and comfort.
I ended up using Symbio peel (medium) on 3 of my sets S8F, Spring 1 and BL-03, all perfect fit, isolation and comfort.
Yes cable change is a must for Blon. Currently I'm using single ended while I'm waiting for 2.5 balanced to arrive.

Oct 12, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #33 of 6,129
Out of the box this thing can be a tricky one..

Luckily it didn't take long for me to get a good fit. Tried various tips such as KZ starline, Spinfit cp100, comply tips and finally settled with medium CP145.
Got it in gunmetal color with TRN 6 core copper cable.

Love the natural and enjoyable sound out of it. Everything sounds thick and full.
Now CCA C12 is back in it's case

Oct 12, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #34 of 6,129
Is there any sound differences between the gunmetal and silver colored bl03? I have the silver one right now and ordering the gunmetal one from amazon.

Oct 12, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #35 of 6,129
Is there any sound differences between the gunmetal and silver colored bl03? I have the silver one right now and ordering the gunmetal one from amazon.

According to @FastAndClean , he heard slight differences where the gunmetal (or many called them brown variant) sounds a bit warmer, thus the silver one like cleaner with more trebles.
I love the silver one tuning and sounds and I haven't order the brown one, to be frank I like the gunmetal/brown color more, but if the tuning is different, I just order the silver one again.
Can you confirm this after you receive yours? thanks

Oct 12, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #36 of 6,129
According to @FastAndClean , he heard slight differences where the gunmetal (or many called them brown variant) sounds a bit warmer, thus the silver one like cleaner with more trebles.
I love the silver one tuning and sounds and I haven't order the brown one, to be frank I like the gunmetal/brown color more, but if the tuning is different, I just order the silver one again.

Will do.

Oct 13, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #37 of 6,129
the blon bl-03 are basically glued to my ears right now :) they're so good, they basically invalidate all the chi-fi I have purchased before this, lmao.

I've been tip rolling quite a bit, with some nice long double flange, spiral dots, and mh755 tips. whoever mentioned that spiral dots were the best for taming the midbass while keeping subbass in the other thread were pretty much dead on. I think the wider bore and the dots really do smooth out the sound quite a bit, that they're the best i've tried. the sony tips sounded much more warm and veiled in comparison...I highly suggest trying out some spiral dots if you want to try to get more clarity and lose some of the midbass. the blon are most definitely worth it :) eagerly waiting to see what an updated bl-03 could be, and still waiting for my 16 core silver plated cable.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #38 of 6,129
OOTB > I`m impressed.

I think it finally dethrones ATE/ATR/MH755 as being my best price vs. SQ. And not only that, it reaches very close to my all-time fav KPE.

Am I in the minority who has perfect fit? I mean, they had even perfect tips installed for my ears (package included 5 pairs - S/M/L in rounded shape + S/M in "cone" shape), using S "cones". And Stock cable provides also perfect fit.

Some things I notice right away compared to KPE (using KPE stock/modified cable):

* KPE has noticeably faster driver
* KPE has more "breath" and "air"
* KPE has less mid-bass but to my ears bass/percussion hits harder and goes deeper
* KPE has better micro-detail in bass area
* BL03 has more mid-bass but may cause slight fatigue for mid-bass sensitive ppl with longer listening sessions
* BL03 has quite coherent sound signature and is quite well balanced (no V-shape with artificial highs like many KZs others have).
* BL03 has very natural timbre but I wouldn`t say better than KPE. For my ears BL03 seems littlebit too "polite/smooth" and misses slightly that "breath & air" KPE has.
BL03 is slightly warmish sounding but not dark or "muddy".
* KPE has better separation and soundstage width. Soundscape is more "airy" and "open".
* BL03 has natural sounding cymbals but slightly missing extension in highs and "sparkle".

Will go and measure it right away and let it "burn-in" and do tip-rolling and report back soon... I hope mid-bass won`t click on my nerves since I`m sensitive to that when doing longer listening sessions.

Cable is actually quite nice and better than KZ ones. KPE Lyre cable has slightly better clarity and detail. But stock one is OK too imo. Will measure it soon too.

Probably will order 2 more sets.
+1 The medium cone silicone ear tips plus the detachable cables, which it came with, worked just fine for me...:thumbsup:

Oct 13, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #39 of 6,129
Do you mean the iem itself give different sound signature or cable?

Oct 13, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #40 of 6,129
Do you mean the iem itself give different sound signature or cable?

The IEM itself.

Some people that own both colors have commented that there is a noticeable sound difference between the 2 colors.

There could be a few reasons for this, but what we’re waiting to find out is how consistent it is.

In other words, is it random manufacturing variance to where some silver and some brown sound the same and some sound different. Or is it that ALL silver sound one way and ALL brown sound another way.

Oct 13, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #41 of 6,129
Or is it that ALL silver sound one way and ALL brown sound another way.

That would be annoying if that were the case. I am happy with my brown one and prefer that color . My husband has a silver one on the way... been on the way for far too long. He can compare when/if it arrives but mine is fully burned in so there is that.

Oct 13, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #43 of 6,129
My second silver pair is in the country, I will get them very soon and will confirm if it is unit variation or different tuning for the different colors

I think it would be really stupid to purposely tune them differently

Oct 13, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #44 of 6,129
That would be annoying if that were the case. I am happy with my brown one and prefer that color . My husband has a silver one on the way... been on the way for far too long. He can compare when/if it arrives but mine is fully burned in so there is that.

I agree.

I love the sound of my silver one, and I’m perfectly happy getting a 2nd silver one if it would guarantee the tuning is the same as my 1st one. But I would obviously prefer to have 1 of each color. I just don’t want to risk there being a difference in the sound between the 2 colors. Hopefully we’ll get to the bottom of it before 11.11.

This “different color, different tuning” thing isn’t unheard of though. The Rock Zircon has this anomaly as well. The white ones sound better than the black ones. And of course the 2 colors of the 1More H1707.

Usually, it just boils down to one color being made in a different factory or a different production run with slightly different drivers. And in the case of the 1More, we know for a fact each color uses different drivers because 1More told us.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #45 of 6,129
I agree.

I love the sound of my silver one, and I’m perfectly happy getting a 2nd silver one if it would guarantee the tuning is the same as my 1st one. But I would obviously prefer to have 1 of each color. I just don’t want to risk there being a difference in the sound between the 2 colors. Hopefully we’ll get to the bottom of it before 11.11.

This “different color, different tuning” thing isn’t unheard of though. The Rock Zircon has this anomaly as well. The white ones sound better than the black ones. And of course the 2 colors of the 1More H1707.

Usually, it just boils down to one color being made in different factory or a different production run with slightly different drivers. And in the case of the 1More, we know for a fact each color uses different drivers because 1More told us.
Did seller say is true iem different sound signature? Interesting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back