Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Sep 17, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #2,881 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also upping the current on the bugle boys really helps.

I am always interested in trying mods that improve the SQ. Have you bumped the current beyond your previous "Regal Mod"? If so, could you please share what resistor values you're using?
Thanks

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #2,883 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can go as far as the PS will let you, which isnt that far.

I was having difficulty maintaining the 250v B+ once I installed the "Regal Mod". I then installed a larger transfo. Now my PS has no problem maintaining the 250v and has a fair amount of reserve power. The Bijou is the first tube amp I have built and I currently don't possess the indebt knowledge needed to ensure I do not burn something out (especially my expensive BB's)
frown.gif
I certainly would like to find time to educate myself on that subject someday. Until then I rely on the expert knowledge of many members of this forum.

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #2,884 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by balderon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the same combo as your setup. I have often considered rolling to 6N6P's. Can you elaborate on why you prefer the ECC99?

Thanks

That's difficult. Best way I can put it is that the sound seems more spacious, detailed & 3D with ECC99's. But I've had the BB/ECC99 combo running for >50 hrs so they are well burnt in. The 6N6P's weren't in for anywhere near this long (a few hrs max) so I may be jumping the gun on their potential. I recall others as well as regal commenting that the 6N6's were better in their rigs. To be fair, I should give them a longer audition before passing judgment.

I'm also running the higher current mods for the BB as suggested by regal. I think this has "livened up" the sound a bit compared to stock. 370DAX, choke PS mods & all film caps (no electros) in the PS probably also provide some extra reserve current & improved filtering.

Its probably completely irrational, but I'm besotted with the BB/ECC99 combo in my Bijou & find it hard to be satisfied with the sound of any other tubes. Everyone's build is different so what works for me won't necessarily work for everyone (?anyone) else.

Sep 18, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #2,885 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by balderon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was having difficulty maintaining the 250v B+ once I installed the "Regal Mod". I then installed a larger transfo. Now my PS has no problem maintaining the 250v and has a fair amount of reserve power. The Bijou is the first tube amp I have built and I currently don't possess the indebt knowledge needed to ensure I do not burn something out (especially my expensive BB's)
frown.gif
I certainly would like to find time to educate myself on that subject someday. Until then I rely on the expert knowledge of many members of this forum.

A great place to start is Morgan jones "valve amplifiers". Teaches all the basics and is a fairly easy read. Would thoroughly recommend.

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #2,886 of 4,278
Hey everybody!

I'm finally building my Bijou.... got my kit months ago but other things kept getting in the way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, there wasn't any LED1s in my kit so I searched the thread and a few have taken them out with D7. Is that the way to go?

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #2,888 of 4,278
Quote:

If i remeber correctly, its the diode and led from the heater circuit you remove.

Thanks adamus, that's the ones.

Almost got my boards done. I'll post some pics soon if I work up the courage - there's some amazing looking Bijous on this thread!

First time I've ever done something like this.

Sep 21, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #2,889 of 4,278
We are waiting for the Pics. Good news on your progress.
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #2,890 of 4,278
Quote:

A great place to start is Morgan jones "valve amplifiers". Teaches all the basics and is a fairly easy read. Would thoroughly recommend.

Thanks adamus. I'll check it out.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #2,891 of 4,278
So I've tried searching through this thread without finding an explicit answer. Can you do do the Regel mod with a 270DAX or does the transformer need to be upgraded to support the higher current?

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #2,892 of 4,278
Most of the time you shouldn't have to upgrade the transformer. But the PS was not designed for handling this much current and you may find that the B+ pulls down some below 250V. If this happens you can dial the B+ down to 240V. The amp won't really notice the change.

Or you can try the cap multiplier solution that was created earlier in the thread.

Hopefully, yours will work with no issues.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #2,894 of 4,278
Looking really good. The knobs will polish it off nicely.

When I see the pics you guys post I remember why I haven't ever posted pics of my prototype.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #2,895 of 4,278
Does anyone have instructions/part numbers to convert the Bijou to use the cheaper 12V Amperex tubes? I couldn't find a transformer in the Hammond catalog. I've also forgetten the Amperex part number for the 12DJ8.

Another issue is my output caps are these huge motor run oils and I can't find a clamp big enough to secure them standing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back