Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Oct 11, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #2,896 of 4,278
the 12v tube is the 8416.

Most of the people who have used this are using the R-core tranformer as it has two lots of heater secondaries, in series they produce 12.6v. I suppose you would have to string another tranformer in series with the orinigal hammond.

Oct 12, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #2,897 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cellsplicer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's now 99% complete. Just waiting for the knobs to get delivered
beyersmile.png

looks awesome!!! love the rocker switch too.

Oct 20, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #2,898 of 4,278
Hi All!

I ordered from Jeff Bijou Kit and now select chassis. But
don't know size of PCB boards.
Please measure your PCB boards of Bijou.

Thanks.

Oct 20, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #2,899 of 4,278
ntrl,

Amp boards are 3.4" x 2.6" with the mounting holes ~0.15" from the edges.

Power supply board is 4.5" x 3.8" with the mounting holes ~0.20" from the edges.

Diameter of mounting holes is around 0.140" (probably 6-32 clearance).

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #2,900 of 4,278
Been awhile since I last posted. I connected my Bijou to the computer and watched a blu-ray in Dolby headphone surround. Holy crap does it sound awesome! Very clean, very 3 dimensional sound. I kept taking my headphones off to make sure the sound wasn't coming from the surround sound speakers. My surround sound receiver has been collecting dust for the last 3 months. The only trouble I've had with this amp is that I didn't account for any ventilation in the chassis. After it's been powered up for a couple hours it gets noisy because of the heat build up. For a temporary fix I just have the cover propped up to keep it from overheating. I'll have to take it apart to cut ventilation holes in the lid. But, I have a question. After hearing this amp I am no longer happy with the sound of my receiver. Is there any way to build this amp on a larger scale to power a pair of stereo speakers?

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #2,901 of 4,278
jkroon, nice to hear this.
smily_headphones1.gif

The amp does get pretty hot and does need lots of air. However, it can't be turned into a speaker amp.

Which probably means that you should start looking into tube amps. Not all of them destroy your wallet, although there are quite a few that do.
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #2,902 of 4,278
Use it as a pre-amp. Thats what I do now »: )

That said... having transitioned to using two separate speaker setups, I'd like to warn you before you plunge a bunch of money into upgrading your amplifier and speakers. Do some research. Proper speaker positioning, room resonance and managing wall reflections is very important with speakers. So for example, if you live in one of those apt. flats with all brick/concrete walls... your headphones will probably sound leaps and bounds better than a speaker setup because of sound reflections (to generalize). Try moving your speakers to all different positions before you drop a big wad on new gear.

Now, that said... if you have the money, then goforit woo....

On a sorta related note... Alex, I know you mentioned designing a speaker amp about 6mo-1yr ago. I was just wondering if this was still something in the works or if it was just ultimately a pipe dream?

cheers,
chob

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #2,905 of 4,278
Cellsplicer,
It looks beautiful nice job. Do you have pics of the inside of the amp?

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #2,906 of 4,278
My Bijou is finished:

I had some problems with hum. The reason where the ground wires. Some of them were too close to the transformer. I rerouted the ground wires and made a new star ground point far away from the transformer and the hum was gone. The little PCB helped much dealing with all the cables from the transformer.

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #2,909 of 4,278
rille2,
beautiful!

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #2,910 of 4,278
I just finished assembling the boards for my Bijou using a glassjar kit. This is my first project so I'm going to need a lot of help finishing this! I built my boards with the caps underneath so that the tubes can be outside of the enclosure. The amp boards were easy, but the power supply was tricky. The heatsinks were mounted underneath so they are dangling off of the mosfets pins. Will this be ok, or should I mount them back on top where they were originally?

What are some nice aluminum enclosures available? Can you guys also recommend me RCA jacks, a phono jack, a nice power switch, and a power connector and cable? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back