Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Oct 22, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #4,276 of 4,278
What do you mean by the opposite legs? All the heaters for all of the tubes are connected in parallel to one 6,3 Volts heater winding of the transformer.

Yes, parallel. That is the correct wording.

Big thanks to SergeyPe and funch (hey there, funch!) Busy weekend day here but I will retest before the day is over. I am confident that this will fix my mis-wired Bijou.

Oct 23, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #4,277 of 4,278
I should have taken a pic but all is well. Bijou powered up, all heaters glowing. I then connected the PS (to the amp boards) and saw only 236 but know I just have some adjusting to do. No worries. I just ran out of time.

Thanks again SergeyPe and funch for getting me on the right track.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #4,278 of 4,278
It's finally done. The project that kept getting put on the back burner for me that I really wanted to complete.

Kit from Glass Jar Audio, the rest from the four corners of the Internet. I've been buying parts here and there for years. I couldn't really get a front design that I liked which would set it apart from my other pieces. I wanted a vintage look for sure and finally settled on something that might include wing designs from the 1930s and a pilot light from many eras. The front panels were ultimately done by Front Panel Express. The rest of the design started falling into place this year. The wings, in particular, were a bit difficult for me to align with the pilot light as they came from a jewelry supply store so had their own mounting holes...which were not quite what was needed for a panel mount. Many drill bits and measuring(s) later they were done.

The rest of the parts are working really well together. 6922 or 6DJ8 tubes on the input and 6N6P output tubes. Regal mods. Gold Point stepped attenuator, Cardas input jacks, DH Labs Pro Studio interconnect as input, Cardas output wire, the 370DAX transformer and a Muffsy power breakout board which holds a MeanWell 120V -> 5V transformer for the pilot light. I am currently using the Pabbi-supplied photo flash caps which are 410uF. In the future I may change these to something lower. Who knows? There are no LEDs on the amp boards and I decided to skip the NFB circuit. So no, the amp isn't particularly great with Grados. As expected.

The amp is a treat with Sennheiser HD600s, of course. It's also happy with a pair of AT-ESW9. There is a musical rightness to it, even with mediocre sources. With great sources: it's delicious! Like most great components, though, it's difficult to describe what it is doing other than giving me more insight and emotion than many other amps I own.

Big thanks to Ericj, SergeyPe, funch and all the rest for keeping me on track as I blundered my way through this one.

DSC02298B.jpg

DSC02291B.jpg

DSC02297B.jpg

DSC02294B.jpg

DSC02296B.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back