Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Oct 31, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #2,926 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else running the big asco 100uf motor run coupling caps? trying to find a mounting ring that fits them

Got mine here - about $10 for 2, which included shipping. Of course, it will take 3 weeks to get them, but, at least they are the right ones.

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #2,927 of 4,278
I've had the resistors for Regals mod for a couple of months and finally got around to switching them out. It was pretty tough to get at them since they're wedged between capacitors and tube sockets so I ended just putting them on the bottom of the board. I'd really recommend doing regal's mod from the start instead of upgrading later. The cost is trivial and the sound improvement is impressive. The imaging is much better when it was already great to start with. I also think that there's a little more impact to the bass now. Overall it seems like the sound cleaned up a little bit. On the other hand I hadn't been listening to my bijou much recently so this is all from memory. There is definitely less noise now and I don't think I changed the wiring that much when reinstalling the boards into the case.

On the channel imbalance, I think that the problem may be that I also recently recabled the k701s and may have damaged one of the drivers when soldering in the new wires. I think I only notice the difference on the bijou because of the huge soundstage which makes the imbalance seem bigger. It's hard to tell though.

Nov 1, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #2,928 of 4,278
I ended up using a Hammond 1441-10BK3 (4 x 2 x 8) steel chassis with matching 1451-10BK3 perforated cover. I used the chassis inverted, like a tray. This allowed me to put the amp in an 8" deep 4" wide 7.25" high enclosure. Some pictures att'd. This is the absolute smallest volume possible for this amp; I needed to stack the amp boards and mount the PS board vertically to get it all to fit in the enclosure.

I like the look that resulted. Also, the cost of this Hammond enclosure is quite moderate.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Nov 1, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #2,929 of 4,278
I thought the Forum would make thumbnails / links of my pictures.....

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #2,931 of 4,278
hum and heat? that's quite an impressive chassis job. cute as hell too. nice job milosz!

Nov 2, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #2,932 of 4,278
No hum issues.

Absolute full gain / full feedback - which would be way too loud to actually listen to with a normal line input - you can crank it up to hear hiss and some 60 Hz line hum, but at any gain / feedback setting that you'd actually use for listening it's dead silent.

The case top and sides are perforated so there is plenty of ventilation, I don't think heat will be any kind of an issue. It does get warm, but then it's tube gear- all tube gear gets warm.

I just couldn't see putting it in a big old case. There are some nice cases but they cost over $100- these Hammond pices were under $50 as I recall.

Thanks for the compliment. Usually I'm all thumbs but this turned out OK, maybe in my old age here I am finally learning some patience and how to measure twice and drill once.....
o2smile.gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #2,933 of 4,278
Ordering parts for the Bijou Amp, but Iam a little confussed with trafo choice.
The one listed on Cavalliaudio BOM is the Hammond 270DAX, but I understand this is not compatible with 220v (uk voltage), so what is an alternative?
Thanks
dean0

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #2,934 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ordering parts for the Bijou Amp, but Iam a little confussed with trafo choice.
The one listed on Cavalliaudio BOM is the Hammond 270DAX, but I understand this is not compatible with 220v (uk voltage), so what is an alternative?
Thanks
dean0

The 370DAX has the same specs but with 220v primary.

Nov 2, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #2,937 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by funch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might also look at the 370FX, which has higher current ratings.
My build has all the tweaks, and I'm using 6H30 input tubes (higher
heater current), and the 270DAX gets pretty warm. If I had it to do
over, I would use the FX tranny.

X2

dean0: The temperature of my DAX was very warm with a similar setup as funch. With the 90ma 270DAX transfo (w/EZ81/Regal mod) my B+ was dropping to < 238v@96ma. Changing to the 270FX (or 370FX) has worked out very well. The transfo is barely warm and the B+ is at spec with plenty of power to spare and without any significant heat buildup.

Nov 2, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #2,938 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by balderon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2

dean0: The temperature of my DAX was very warm with a similar setup as funch. With the 90ma 270DAX transfo (w/EZ81/Regal mod) my B+ was dropping to < 238v@96ma. Changing to the 270FX (or 370FX) has worked out very well. The transfo is barely warm and the B+ is at spec with plenty of power to spare and without any significant heat buildup.

thanks, I was having trouble finding the 370dax in stock anywhere but I can find either 370DX, 370HX and 370FX what is my best option?
Any other parts need changing to accomidate this transformer?
Regards
dean0

ps Iam building it stock, no mods, to start with anyway...

Nov 2, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #2,939 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks, I was having trouble finding the 370dax in stock anywhere but I can find either 370DX, 370HX and 370FX what is my best option?
Any other parts need changing to accomidate this transformer?
Regards
dean0

ps Iam building it stock, no mods, to start with anyway...

No changes are needed. Check out http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5719183-post2595.html

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #2,940 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by balderon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No changes are needed. Check out http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5719183-post2595.html

Thanks, everything is ordered, appart from enclosure (any suggestions?)
Little more expensive than I first thought, sure it will be worth it
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back