Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Aug 21, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #2,851 of 4,278
Kansei, I meant to add that when I was building my prototype I shorted the PS 3 times and had to replace the mosfets 3 times too!!! I discovered just how easy it is create even a very brief short on the regulator when testing. When I tried to think of a way to add protection to the PS I realized it was going to be much more expensive than it was worth.

And then once I stopped fooling around inside the PS, the regulator has been stable. So hopefully, you'll only have to replace the fets once.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #2,852 of 4,278
Is it possible to use 6N6's safely with regal's mods? There's a comment in the Tweaks section that indicates ECC99's should be used. Is this because the 6N6's draw too much current & may stress the PS?

Any thoughts or experiences would be welcome.

Thanks.

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #2,854 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by rolotube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to use 6N6's safely with regal's mods? There's a comment in the Tweaks section that indicates ECC99's should be used. Is this because the 6N6's draw too much current & may stress the PS?

Any thoughts or experiences would be welcome.

Thanks.

Yes, though you may have to regulate below 245V. I have mine @ 240V.

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #2,855 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by diego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will a 270dax overheat if I use it at 120v? If it overheats could I just put a 1.5 ohm resistor in the primary to drop those extra 5v?

Thanks.

diego the 270dax should not overheat running at 120V. These transformers are pretty durable.

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #2,857 of 4,278
Nice chassis Kansei. Next a nice wooden enclosure to finish it?

I'm looking for a schematic of an all tube headphone amplifier and found the Bijou. Being reluctant to reinvent the wheel, I wonder why the headphones are coupled through an outputcapacitor. Is it because of financial reasons the outputtransformer is replaced?

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #2,858 of 4,278
disco, the Bijou is what is called an Output Transformerl Less (OTL) amplifier. Transformers tend to limit the output bandwidth of an amp and so, over the years, many designers have sought to eliminate them.

The capacitor in the Bijou is needed because the output point (between the two triodes) is at 125VDC. The capacitor blocks the high DC voltage while passing the AC signal.

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #2,859 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
disco, the Bijou is what is called an Output Transformerl Less (OTL) amplifier. Transformers tend to limit the output bandwidth of an amp and so, over the years, many designers have sought to eliminate them.

The capacitor in the Bijou is needed because the output point (between the two triodes) is at 125VDC. The capacitor blocks the high DC voltage while passing the AC signal.

Sorry if I didn't make my point clear
wink.gif

I do own a pair of 4K:300 OT (BW -1dB >30KHz, so no restrictions there) and am looking for a circuit to build. Large output caps do not seem attractive to me...

Sep 5, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #2,860 of 4,278
The Bijou will have a much higher frequency response than your transformers. But, there are differences of opinion on how much this matters to the SQ.
smily_headphones1.gif
And I think you might find that the capacitor is less limiting than the transformer.

But, since you have transformers, there have been quite a few designs posted in various places for making a transformer output headphone amplifier. I wouldn't recomment using the Bijou's futterman topology with a transformer because this type of amp is specifically designed to be OTL, but some of these other designs, IIRC, are pretty nice. I don't have a pointer to any of them at the moment, but I suspect that you've seen many of them already.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #2,861 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Bijou will have a much higher frequency response than your transformers. But, there are differences of opinion on how much this matters to the SQ.
smily_headphones1.gif
And I think you might find that the capacitor is less limiting than the transformer.

But, since you have transformers, there have been quite a few designs posted in various places for making a transformer output headphone amplifier. I wouldn't recomment using the Bijou's futterman topology with a transformer because this type of amp is specifically designed to be OTL, but some of these other designs, IIRC, are pretty nice. I don't have a pointer to any of them at the moment, but I suspect that you've seen many of them already.
smily_headphones1.gif

Using an OT in an OTL would be contradictory, wouldn't it?
wink.gif

The reason for me posting here is to find a circuit. Perhaps other folks are lazy looking for them selves but the only not-OTL design I came across is the one from Simon Busbridge.

That's why I made the remark wrt the OT. Not only do I know that the output capacitor is much more offending to the actual reproduction quality of the amplifier than a good quality OT, it's more a matter of design principle. Financial reasoning would be a valid design choice though.

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #2,862 of 4,278
OK. I'm not sure that I can be of any further help except to note that the Bijou was designed as an OTL amplifier just because I had some ideas about doing one with a very simple power supply. There were no financial considerations involved regarding transformer cost vs. capacitor cost.

Perhaps others on this thread can suggest places to find OT amplifiers that might give more selection.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #2,863 of 4,278
So far afield, but look at the Raven in my sig, as well as the 307a - both balanced opt designs (though on the 307a, I'm NOT using a phase splitter on input as I have a balanced source). Pete also has a raft of designs on his site, which might be more in line with what you are seeking.

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #2,865 of 4,278
Great. Now that you've found something that you're interested in building you should start a new thread around this topic. There might be others who will participate if they see a new thread that is not buried down in the Bijou discussion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back