BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Dec 2, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #181 of 5,353
I liked the ZX300 but I was at the Tokyo Sony Flagship store and the gall told me the ZX300 there were strictly domestic models, which could not be switched to English. She laughed and said I could learn the Japanese. I have since then learned you can Rockbox the ZX300.

But I never purchased one. I also never had the DM6 to demo with the ZX300. So also, I never spent enough time to honestly describe the ZX300 sound, but remember it way warmer than the 1A.

The 1A is great balanced with the DM6 and that was what I first liked. Though now I’m 1Z all the way. The 1Z takes the DM6 to an amazing place. It pushes any flaw in robustness out to a better and more dynamic place. The desktop TA takes it even to a better level.
I might just save, and wait and make the jump straight to the 1Z.
Everyone that has it, absolutely loves it.
It would be my only DAP purchase till it conks out pretty much.
Keep my ZX300 for the gym :)

Dec 2, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #182 of 5,353
This is exactly what I am affraid of already. I ordered the golden Linsoul ones that HBB recomended on his youtube channel already and certainly at one point I will need to check out pure copper cables as well :wink:

I believe in cables changing the sound; but......the police have thought I was 5150 once too.:)

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/5150/

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #183 of 5,353
2x

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #184 of 5,353
I might just save, and wait and make the jump straight to the 1Z.
Everyone that has it, absolutely loves it.
It would be my only DAP purchase till it conks out pretty much.
Keep my ZX300 for the gym :)

No one really knows where the 1Z is in the whole “Sony new model” plan. But at this moment I feel I could live with the 1Z forever, it’s that good. Of course most that upgrade, say the same thing before.

If you go to a shop and do side by side, it will not show to be a wide margin between them. But when you get home and compare the two models, your brain focuses in on that small 10-25% and the difference is giant. It takes time to notice, but it’s all there. PM the one member who upgraded, I purchased the 1A after the 1Z because of complementary sound signatures.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #185 of 5,353
I believe in cables changing the sound; but......the police have thought I was 5150 once too.:)
I think the impedance of the cable might make the biggest difference... Now take that with a grain of salt because I'm no expert and I only go by ear... If I had to choose I like copper cables and that might be because of my home speakers system wired in copper so I always try to go copper when available..

Dec 2, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #186 of 5,353
No one really knows where the 1Z is in the whole “Sony new model” plan. But at this moment I feel I could live with the 1Z forever, it’s that good. Of course most that upgrade, say the same thing before.

If you go to a shop and do side by side, it will not show to be a wide margin between them. But when you get home and compare the two models, your brain focuses in on that small 10-25% and the difference is giant. It takes time to notice, but it’s all there. PM the one member who upgraded, I purchased the 1A after the 1Z because of complementary sound signatures.
You have both in hand and would be able to make the best comparison.
Thank you for your reply. Made a lot of things clear for me.
Much appreciated.

Dec 2, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #187 of 5,353
I liked the ZX300 but I was at the Tokyo Sony Flagship store and the gall told me the ZX300 there were strictly domestic models, which could not be switched to English. She laughed and said I could learn the Japanese. I have since then learned you can Rockbox the ZX300.

Yeah, you can use a tool available on the Rockbox website to switch "destination", that is the geographic market localisation of some Sony products, including the Sony ZX300. You still end up having the same Sony UI (not the Rockbox UI as we know it), but you get different languages etc, plus you can get around the sound cap for European countries.

I have the Sony ZX300a (same as the ZX300, but with 16Gb internal memory instead of 64, and costs signifcantly less), and actually ended up swtiching to the "J" destination (japanese - on the advice of somebody who did it first) - it retained the english menus I had selected on the original chinese model, and gained the ability of creating and renaming playlists on the player - which apparently only the original japanese version could do, lol

Dec 2, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #188 of 5,353
I think the impedance of the cable might make the biggest difference... Now take that with a grain of salt because I'm no expert and I only go by ear... If I had to choose I like copper cables and that might be because of my home speakers system wired in copper so I always try to go copper when available..

I purchased a Hansound Zen 4 wire for my Encore IEMs, but it was not warm enough, so I’m having the stock Encore cable made into 4.4 balanced. I believe cables can be too warm, too bright, or just right.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #189 of 5,353
I have both 4.4 mm ALO silver plated copper cable, and ALO 4.4mm pure occ copper cable on hand.
And the difference is pretty big.
You don't need to have a good ear to be able to tell the difference, and its not volume I am talking about.
Its tone, timbre, placement of mids, resolution and clarity.
Both cables sound very different with my CL2 and the DM6.

Dec 2, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #190 of 5,353
I have both 4.4 mm ALO silver plated copper cable, and ALO 4.4mm pure occ copper cable on hand.
And the difference is pretty big.
You don't need to have a good ear to be able to tell the difference, and its not volume I am talking about.
Its tone, timbre, placement of mids, resolution and clarity.
Both cables sound very different with my CL2 and the DM6.

I allocated the Hansound to my qdc Anole V3, and it’s a match made in heaven with the 1Z. Cables do make a slight difference. I don’t care about arguments though.......I’m too old for that.

Dec 2, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #191 of 5,353
I allocated the Hansound to my qdc Anole V3, and it’s a match made in heaven with the 1Z. Cable do make a slight difference. I don’t carve about arguments though.......I’m too old for that.
To my ear the difference is big. I think the metals make more of a difference than quality of metal.
No need to spend over 150 bucks for a cable, outside of comfort or quality of construction.
Copper to my ear just sounds better :)
But yeah, we all hear differently enough to have no objective truths in audio.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #192 of 5,353
20181202_035401[1].jpg

Got mine today. Ordered on Amazon through LSR on 11/11. First impressions are not good. My source is an idsd nano and compared to my iSine 10 and FLC 8s the bass is too thick and overpowering. Mids and treble sound good but can't really judge them well with the bass in the way. On the cable I noticed a lot of condensation under the shrink wrap/ear hook so I cut it off. That improved the fit for me as well. Didn't see any condensation inside the shells. Gonna put them in a jar with silica gel packets overnight to absorb the moisture and see if anything changes. Hope it isn't damaged.

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #193 of 5,353
You have to love the Chinese for their ingenuity. My dm6's are taking so long, is that they're being sent through Croatia.
For those who don't know, any parcel from an EU member state is tax exempt so no customs charge.
Did wonder why tracking was so sketchy, until I got it translated.

Got my rather nicenck crystal copper cable and spinfits here, still not sure how it's worth £60 but looks decent.

Hope they're everything I'm looking for.

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #194 of 5,353
You have to love the Chinese for their ingenuity. My dm6's are taking so long, is that they're being sent through Croatia.
For those who don't know, any parcel from an EU member state is tax exempt so no customs charge.
Did wonder why tracking was so sketchy, until I got it translated.

Got my rather nicenck crystal copper cable and spinfits here, still not sure how it's worth £60 but looks decent.

Hope they're everything I'm looking for.

Untill you get the message something went wrong with the package and you have to wait a bit more :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back