BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Mar 21, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #3,046 of 5,353
I dunno, my DM6 seem to be getting better as well. It is definitely not brain or ear burn in because I have too many audio things to listen to to get adjusted to them. I'll say this, the goddamn tips seem to make or break them for me. Never really had that experience before.

Mar 21, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #3,047 of 5,353
You guys are starting to sound like a religious cult with all the "burn-in". There's a burn-in mentioned in every second post everywhere, I feel like I'm going crazy. With all the high tech measuring gadgets around, does anyone even have some relevant measurements to back up these claims?

I had IEMs for years, some days they sound way too bright to me, other days just perfect. Does that mean they are still "burning-in"?
You are asking for measurements, but you admit that some days you find your IEM too bright and some other time just perfect. I also am in your situation with most of my IEM and headphones. It's really depending on my mood, if I feel fit or not, lack of sleep, etc... You see, after the burn-in voodoo, we start talking about the way we feel listening to our music and the way it sounds given our state of mind :wink: Measurements could be done, why not, but I don't think that we will see some measurable changes. I would like to be proven wrong, so that we can stop the burn-in debate. Admitting the burn-in is all in our heads, what's wrong ? At the end of the day, we all are more or less audio enthusiasts trying to get the best out of our gears in order to enjoy our music in the best conditions. At least, this is what I am aiming for.

The DM6 remains the 1st set of IEMs that really made me asked myself about burn-in... Being at 120 hours, they still may sound bright at times with specific recordings, but overall they are providing a very enjoyable listening experience.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #3,048 of 5,353
My DM6, purchased in October, have sounded great from the get go.
I came from the Shure 846s, but had added the Tin Audio T2s and TRN V80s looking for different tuning and frankly more engagement.
I've probably put 300 hours through these since acquiring them and they remain my favorite IEMs.
Has the SQ changed over time? Perhaps, yes. The sound stage, some details in treble and the mid-range sound clearer, the bass a bit more impactful.
I have them on a custom 8 core copper cable terminated in 4.4mm for the Sony WM1A or on the meeAudio BTX1 bluetooth cable for when I commute or travel by plane.
I've tried a ton of tips. My current favorite at the JVC Spiral Dot. Suoer comfortable, very good isolation and airy , open soundstage.
Having come from headphones, I believe burn-in is a thing for dynamics. For BAs? Perhaps some glue loosens a bit over time? Don't know.
Just describing my journey with these great, relatively inexpensive IEMs

cheers

Mar 21, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #3,049 of 5,353
You guys are starting to sound like a religious cult with all the "burn-in". There's a burn-in mentioned in every second post everywhere, I feel like I'm going crazy. With all the high tech measuring gadgets around, does anyone even have some relevant measurements to back up these claims?

I had IEMs for years, some days they sound way too bright to me, other days just perfect. Does that mean they are still "burning-in"?

Your absolutely right it’s strange. I remember buying a new pair of IEMs and they sounded exactly like the pair with 100 hours on them. But again I was in a shop listening to a demo pair of IEMs with 200 hours on them and they were totally different than the new directly out of box pair.

We are not asking why or how it works or even asking anyone to believe anything. But many people found changes here after simply playing the DM6 for 40 hours. Nothing needs to be too serious here as it’s simply a fun hobby.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #3,050 of 5,353
Your absolutely right it’s strange. I remember buying a new pair of IEMs and they sounded exactly like the pair with 100 hours on them. But again I was in a shop listening to a demo pair of IEMs with 200 hours on them and they were totally different than the new directly out of box pair.

We are not asking why or how it works or even asking anyone to believe anything. But many people found changes here after simply playing the DM6 for 40 hours. Nothing needs to be too serious here as it’s simply a fun hobby.

Agreed! Burn in has an effect, doesn’t have an effect, doesn’t really matter! Let’s not take this too seriously, unless, of course, someone has the time, means and skill to carry out and publish the definitive study. My attitude has been I don’t believe it has a meaningful impact, but then I almost always burn in new gear because, well, what’s the harm? :)

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #3,051 of 5,353

Call it whatever you like but my DM6 journey is well documented on here.

I have gone from experiencing spikey grainy highs that had to be tamed with tip selection and buying a OCC copper cable to now shopping for a copper silver plated cable to add some fun sparkle back to the highs.

Love the DM6. They are Velvet smooth.

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #3,052 of 5,353
This post doesn't really belong here but the DM6 showed me I am losing hearing in my right ear. Or maybe I have a wax buildup problem in my eardrum. It sucks to have that ear be like 3db lower in sensitivity than the right. I never notice it day to day but as soon as I put on the DM6, with its crazy detail retrieval, I can clearly hear better in my right ear. I tried Hydrogen Perixoide with warm water, using an ear cleaner rig. Didn't help much, but maybe a little. I guess I better schedule a visit with a doctor. GAH! :triportsad:

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #3,053 of 5,353
This post doesn't really belong here but the DM6 showed me I am losing hearing in my right ear. Or maybe I have a wax buildup problem in my eardrum. It sucks to have that ear be like 3db lower in sensitivity than the right. I never notice it day to day but as soon as I put on the DM6, with its crazy detail retrieval, I can clearly hear better in my right ear. I tried Hydrogen Perixoide with warm water, using an ear cleaner rig. Didn't help much, but maybe a little. I guess I better schedule a visit with a doctor. GAH! :triportsad:
Depending on your source you may be able to adjust the channel balance. I have the same problem with my right ear and I have my phone adjusted to be louder in my right ear.

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #3,054 of 5,353

That must sux big time with you being someone that enjoys audiophile hobby. Hope you can get it sorted with the docs.

BTW Have you jumped on the Fearless bandwagon ?

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #3,056 of 5,353
I'm debating the Fearless wagon now. Ii have the Dm6 with Massdrop, but have to decide to cancel by today. Ughhhh!
But they are much more expensiv is it worth ?

I was going to buy the dm6 too but there are to much bad reviews

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #3,058 of 5,353
I don't know. That's my delimma. $$$ and not having a dap or dac. If I go with just $539 S8P/F or S6 Rui/P with or without Fiio Q1. I am sure I have annoyed the gracious people in the Fearless thread as well.
Better get a dac amp that gives you more quality

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #3,059 of 5,353
But they are much more expensiv is it worth ?

I was going to buy the dm6 too but there are to much bad reviews

Most bad reviews are from people that did not give enough time for the DM6 drivers to settle and gave up too soon. If you are prepared to give the DM6 150/200hrs of usage/burn time than you will be rewarded with the DM6 in its finest glory.
Very hard to beat at their price point and challenge earphones much more expensive.
If you can get them at a good price don’t be be put off to give them a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back