BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Mar 21, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #3,033 of 5,353
Currently having the Final type E (size M) tips mounted on the DM6, I received the Spin Fit CP500 tips yesterday. Once more, I got the proof that rolling tips might change the sound signature of an IEM dramatically. I also experienced that with full size headphones, but to a lesser extent.

The Spin Fit CP500 expose the bore much more than the Final E, so we could think that the DM6 will sound more airy, with a wider soundstage. First, for my ears, the CP500 do not provide a good seal. They are very light and confortable, but they are not allowing a deep insertion. As a result, the bass impact almsot disappears along with the good imaging of the DM6. Secondly, the mids suffer from the average fit, losing their pleasent forwardness and the treble becomes too prominent. I cannot recommend pairing the DM6 with the CP500, or only to the people wanting to reduce the bass impact to the max and increasing the treble, not worried about sacrifying imaging and mids at the same time.

The only "wide" open tips I know that are not bad with the DM6 are the JVC Spiral dots. Finally, with comply foam tips, I had the impression that the sound is getting muddier, the DM6 losing soundstage and clarity. At the end, the Final type E tips are giving the best fit and the best listening experience, for my taste of course. I might try the Symbio W-serie in the future. Maybe someone tried them and can report on their fit and the way they make the DM6 sounds?

Here is a picture with Final E (on the left) and Spin Fit CP500 (on the right) mounted on the DM6:

IMG_20190321_094202.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #3,034 of 5,353
I had DM6 the last 3 months and have been listening to it a lot with pure copper cable from Nicehck. I can now give my feedback on it: they are good IEM for their price, but they are not worth this hype on them. They are by no mean bad IEM: The bass is awesome for BA, mids are OK and highs are detailed and separation is very good. They do not forgive bad recordings though. Now, they do have sibilance in some tracks where there are piano notes or violin. This is an issue for me because I am very sensitive to that kind of sibilance.

I ordered Final E2000 IEM at 40€ last week and started listening to them. On paper, these are entry level IEM with a cable that cannot be changed. I didn’t have high expectations on them and I was right. However, when listening to them, I found them much more relax than DM6 and I thought that this is the kind of sound that I am looking for. Yes, the highs and mids in final IEM are not the best and not as good as DM6, but I found myself becoming addictive to listening to my music using these IEM.

Overall, I find DM6 excellent in some tracks and aggressive in others. I cannot keep changing the IEM depending on which song I want to listen to. It all depends on your preference. I prefer IEM that are more relax even if I slightly lose some details in the highs. That’s why I decided to explore Final IEM hoping that I will find IEM that suit me the best

Mar 21, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #3,035 of 5,353
I had DM6 the last 3 months and have been listening to it a lot with pure copper cable from Nicehck. I can now give my feedback on it: they are good IEM for their price, but they are not worth this hype on them. They are by no mean bad IEM: The bass is awesome for BA, mids are OK and highs are detailed and separation is very good. They do not forgive bad recordings though. Now, they do have sibilance in some tracks where there are piano notes or violin. This is an issue for me because I am very sensitive to that kind of sibilance.

I ordered Final E2000 IEM at 40€ last week and started listening to them. On paper, these are entry level IEM with a cable that cannot be changed. I didn’t have high expectations on them and I was right. However, when listening to them, I found them much more relax than DM6 and I thought that this is the kind of sound that I am looking for. Yes, the highs and mids in final IEM are not the best and not as good as DM6, but I found myself becoming addictive to listening to my music using these IEM.

Overall, I find DM6 excellent in some tracks and aggressive in others. I cannot keep changing the IEM depending on which song I want to listen to. It all depends on your preference. I prefer IEM that are more relax even if I slightly lose some details in the highs. That’s why I decided to explore Final IEM hoping that I will find IEM that suit me the best
I also like the sound signature from my E5000 better than the one from the DM6 at the end of the day, but it's a close call. With really good mastered recordings, the DM6 sounds amazing. The E5000 is more forgiving, but also more natural in the major cases. Both are very good considering their prices.

Mar 21, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #3,036 of 5,353
After reading the last couple pages, it makes me want to at least suggest burn-in. Many here, if you go back in the thread, did not believe in burn-in. And while this is not the time or place for a burn-in discussion, many folks were surprised at what 40 hours of play did for the sound. So simply putting the DM6 in a drawer playing at medium for two days makes a big difference.

Also many here didn’t believe in cables changing the sound but did seem to notice slight differences between cables. You don’t have to be a believer to simply experiment with options with an open mind. Everyone here is going in the same direction trying to get the best IEM sound in the end.

Also...... “tips”........so much gets written about tips here. It’s because tips end up the single most important thing to affect sound in the end. And many of us did not get the best sound with the included tips.

This whole tip rolling thing can be bewildering as if the bass is reduced the treble can become more noticeable. Add treble the result can be a precived reduction in bass. Tips even change soundstage.

Finally it turns out that these IEMs are showing source characteristics. The DM6 can actually be source dependent depending on the signature your after. If your source is bright the DM6 will sound bright.

I’ve tried 5 or 6 cables with the DM6 and also upgraded to a balanced source noticing an upgrade in soundstage. But out of all the cables only two aftermarket cables seemed to get the sound I was after.

For many I wonder if the DM6 is simply not the overall sound they were looking for despite their personal effort to make it workout? Again though this thread shows the absolute subjectivity of personal audio. Though in my personal case I was 40 hours, new tips, and a different cable away from happiness.

Your millage may very.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #3,037 of 5,353
After reading the last couple pages, it makes me want to at least suggest burn-in. Many here, if you go back in the thread, did not believe in burn-in. And while this is not the time or place for a burn-in discussion, many folks were surprised at what 40 hours of play did for the sound. So simply putting the DM6 in a drawer playing at medium for two days makes a big difference.

Also many here didn’t believe in cables changing the sound but did seem to notice slight differences between cables. You don’t have to be a believer to simply experiment with options with an open mind. Everyone here is going in the same direction trying to get the best IEM sound in the end.

Also...... “tips”........so much gets written about tips here. It’s because tips end up the single most important thing to affect sound in the end. And many of us did not get the best sound with the included tips.

This whole tip rolling thing can be bewildering as if the bass is reduced the treble can become more noticeable. Add treble the result can be a precived reduction in bass. Tips even change soundstage.

Finally it turns out that these IEMs are showing source characteristics. The DM6 can actually be source dependent depending on the signature your after. If your source is bright the DM6 will sound bright.

I’ve tried 5 or 6 cables with the DM6 and also upgraded to a balanced source noticing an upgrade in soundstage. But out of all the cables only two aftermarket cables seemed to get the sound I was after.

For many I wonder if the DM6 is simply not the overall sound they were looking for despite their personal effort to make it workout? Again though this thread shows the absolute subjectivity of personal audio. Though in my personal case I was 40 hours, new tips, and a different cable away from happiness.

Your millage may very.
I agree 100% to everything you wrote in this post. Keeping an open mind while trying different set-up (source, tips, cable) and letting time doing its job (burn-in?) seems to work with the DM6. For me, at least. I own other IEMs that are (much) less sensitive to the above mentioned mods. DM6 remains a good set of IEM for their price and under the condition that you are not into a very smooth or warm sound signature.

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #3,038 of 5,353
I agree 100% to everything you wrote in this post. Keeping an open mind while trying different set-up (source, tips, cable) and letting time doing its job (burn-in?) seems to work with the DM6. For me, at least. I own other IEMs that are (much) less sensitive to the above mentioned mods. DM6 remains a good set of IEM for their price and under the condition that you are not into a very smooth or warm sound signature.

Also maybe the strangest thing is how each person is coming from a different sound signature that they are used to. The whole change of pace is a concept which can not be underestimated. If someone was visiting Seattle from California, Seattle may seem cold; though if a visitor was coming from Alaska then Seattle is warm.

The whole smooth or not smooth signature is again another perspective. Smooth or not smooth in comparison to what? As I actually have smoother IEMs but they don’t offer the soundstage detail of what you get with 5 BAs? And........just as posted above your always going to have folks wanting to trade smooth musicality for detail. Still, I may be crazy but I view the DM6 as a $600-$800 IEM? IMO

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #3,039 of 5,353
Also maybe the strangest thing is how each person is coming from a different sound signature that they are used to. The whole change of pace is a concept which can not be underestimated. If someone was visiting Seattle from California, Seattle may seem cold; though if a visitor was coming from Alaska then Seattle is warm.

The whole smooth or not smooth signature is again another perspective. Smooth or not smooth in comparison to what? As I actually have smoother IEMs but they don’t offer the soundstage detail of what you get with 5 BAs? And........just as posted above your always going to have folks wanting to trade smooth musicality for detail. Still, I may be crazy but I view the DM6 as a $600-$800 IEM? IMO

Everything is relative for sure, but in order to compare things, in the audio world or in other areas, we use references that are more or less accepted as such. For me, coming from the Audeze and Sony sound signatures (LCD-2, LCD-X, MDR-Z1R, XBA-Z5, XBA-N3 and Final E 5000), I ended up enjoying "brighter" or more "detailed" ear/headphones, like the Final Sonorous VI and now the DM6. I am pleasently surprised to discover that other kind of sound signature, which I like, even if it required patience at the beginning, simply because I have been listening to more or less the same sound signature for the last 10 years. It's difficult for me to say if the DM6 is worth USD 600, 800 or 1K. At the moment, I still like my Final E5000 and Sony Z5 better, but it's very very close. The E5000 really is playing above its USD 270 price point in my opinion. It also needed some adjustements, like a 4.4mm balanced cable (pure silver) and a good source. The Z5 is pricier, but plays my music exactly how I like it.

I maybe should try some TOTL IEM in a near future in order to compare the mid-level ones I own at the moment. I read your IER-Z1R review. I think I will start with it :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #3,040 of 5,353
Everything is relative for sure, but in order to compare things, in the audio world or in other areas, we use references that are more or less accepted as such. For me, coming from the Audeze and Sony sound signatures (LCD-2, LCD-X, MDR-Z1R, XBA-Z5, XBA-N3 and Final E 5000), I ended up enjoying "brighter" or more "detailed" ear/headphones, like the Final Sonorous VI and now the DM6. I am pleasently surprised to discover that other kind of sound signature, which I like, even it required patience at the beginning, simply because I have been listening to more or less the same sound signature for the last 10 years. It's difficult for me to say if the DM6 is worth USD 600, 800 or 1K. At the moment, I still like my Final E5000 and Sony Z5 better, but it's very very close. The E5000 really is playing above its USD 270 price point in my opinion. It also needed some adjustements, like a 4.4mm balanced cable (pure silver) and a good source. The Z5 is pricier, but plays my music exactly how I like it.

I maybe should try some TOTL IEM in a near future in order to compare the mid-level ones I own at the moment. I read your IER-Z1R review. I think I will start with it :wink:

Lol. If you like the Z5 then we’ll...............

But I agree trying new sound signatures make this hobby more active. Going to new sound signatures is like visiting new places. They are different and exciting but it’s always nice to get home. Though just like traveling it can make you wise? Maybe?

But the Noble Encore is an example of me exposing to a different sound signature. Fun at times, maybe especially if it’s totally different? If anything it reestablishes your true taste?

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #3,041 of 5,353
Lol. If you like the Z5 then we’ll...............

But I agree trying new sound signatures make this hobby more active. Going to new sound signatures is like visiting new places. They are different and exciting but it’s always nice to get home. Though just like traveling it can make you wise? Maybe?

But the Noble Encore is an example of me exposing to a different sound signature. Fun at times, maybe especially if it’s totally different? If anything it reestablishes your true taste?
Having birthday in June brings a good excuse to investigate the IER-Z1R with a possible purchase at the end.

Good analogy regarding SS and travelling. I second that, as I used to travel a lot.

Mar 21, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #3,042 of 5,353
Currently having the Final type E (size M) tips mounted on the DM6, I received the Spin Fit CP500 tips yesterday. Once more, I got the proof that rolling tips might change the sound signature of an IEM dramatically. I also experienced that with full size headphones, but to a lesser extent.

The Spin Fit CP500 expose the bore much more than the Final E, so we could think that the DM6 will sound more airy, with a wider soundstage. First, for my ears, the CP500 do not provide a good seal. They are very light and confortable, but they are not allowing a deep insertion. As a result, the bass impact almsot disappears along with the good imaging of the DM6. Secondly, the mids suffer from the average fit, losing their pleasent forwardness and the treble becomes too prominent. I cannot recommend pairing the DM6 with the CP500, or only to the people wanting to reduce the bass impact to the max and increasing the treble, not worried about sacrifying imaging and mids at the same time.

The only "wide" open tips I know that are not bad with the DM6 are the JVC Spiral dots. Finally, with comply foam tips, I had the impression that the sound is getting muddier, the DM6 losing soundstage and clarity. At the end, the Final type E tips are giving the best fit and the best listening experience, for my taste of course. I might try the Symbio W-serie in the future. Maybe someone tried them and can report on their fit and the way they make the DM6 sounds?

Here is a picture with Final E (on the left) and Spin Fit CP500 (on the right) mounted on the DM6:

I use final e too , sounds the best

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #3,043 of 5,353
IMG_20190321_212014.jpg If someone is interested in a Sony MUC-M12SM2 cable, 3.5mm, in mint condition, you can PM me. I could ship worldwide. I used one with my DM6 along with the 4.4mm version. The one I am selling is a spare unit.

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #3,044 of 5,353
How has anyone's experience been buying these from Massdrop?

I got into the early January drop when the DM6 orders from singles day started to just make progress (my impression from the threads). Received my DM6 last week in perfect condition. I'm patient but that doesn't mean it didn't make me anxious reading this thread.

Your millage may very.

Day one these bordered on sibilant. Hour 125 these were hurting my ears, they got really sharp. Hour 140 not nearly as sibilant, perhaps not at all.

I put mine on good old fashioned FM for 4-5 days. I'm gonna give them another 3 day dose.

I don't want to get into a burn in debate with these but they do change. I'm not listening continuously either so no brain burn in. Maybe I fried my ears?

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #3,045 of 5,353
You guys are starting to sound like a religious cult with all the "burn-in". There's a burn-in mentioned in every second post everywhere, I feel like I'm going crazy. With all the high tech measuring gadgets around, does anyone even have some relevant measurements to back up these claims?

I had IEMs for years, some days they sound way too bright to me, other days just perfect. Does that mean they are still "burning-in"?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back