BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Feb 17, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #2,536 of 5,353
The only variable in production that I saw on mine was that the filter was near the bottom of the tube while others seemed to be higher up the tube. I had a pair that sounded a bit muffled in the highs. I looked at the Knowles data sheet on dampening filters and it said that changing the position of the dampening filter in the tube changes the amount of mid crossover (or balance). So unless everyone else’s filter is in the exact same portion of the tube, there can be a slight variable there. I muffed my filters by taking them out, now I’m just waiting for a new set to see what changing those around will do...DM6 that is.

I remember that extraction, you could never get it to become “as new” again? It’s amazing that everyone has different ideas as to the sound, still I guess that’s normal for Head-Fi? Everyone has sudjective opinions.

And still you think that filter you pulled out was slightly in a too far pushed in place? Sad you could not fix your action. I’m amazed how delicate this whole sound adjustment thing is. I’m just surprised you couldn’t put “anything” back into the sound tube and get a sound you like? I can only see a green and grey filter. But I leave everything alone as I like the sound. I can’t see how the sound would be muffled? But my two pairs opened up after 40 hours. I ended putting 200 hours of burn in on two pairs. I will have to look to see if the tube filters are in different places between the two pairs I have. The two pairs sound exactly the same?

Edit:

The “new-set” are those IEMs or tube filters? I think you can buy the tube filters right?

And again if we can adjust tube filters it would be like doing EQ to every pair.

And......if this tube filter distance is a huge variation between IEMs and is creating a sound difference it COULD be responsible for different sounds between IEMs. It could be responsible for the treble spike.

Still I think there are multiple ways to skin a cat. Too high of treble due to filter placement in nozzle, change IEM tip, and cable till all is well.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #2,537 of 5,353
Haven't heard that there was some treble problems from november owners. This says something. Possibly only later this showed up.

I ordered mine last week in Nov last year. I have a few sets of IEMs with hot treble, so I know what it sounds like and don't like it one bit. The DM6 is exactly the opposite to my ears, with the amazing clarity in the high end and no piercing. Bass is nice and full and NOT overdone. I actually don't hear much of a bass peak on my set at all.

I have exactly one issue with my DM6. One of 2 things is true, either the right side of my DM6 is 1.5db quieter or my right ear is broken. I can't say for sure. I've tested over and over and over and I think my set is imbalanced. Now I don't know how much of an issue this might be to people. I am super ultra sensitive to stereo imaging being centered and can INSTANTLY if something is off. A lot of recordings actually are but I have some go-tos that I rely on.

Feb 18, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #2,538 of 5,353
I ordered mine last week in Nov last year. I have a few sets of IEMs with hot treble, so I know what it sounds like and don't like it one bit. The DM6 is exactly the opposite to my ears, with the amazing clarity in the high end and no piercing. Bass is nice and full and NOT overdone. I actually don't hear much of a bass peak on my set at all.

I have exactly one issue with my DM6. One of 2 things is true, either the right side of my DM6 is 1.5db quieter or my right ear is broken. I can't say for sure. I've tested over and over and over and I think my set is imbalanced. Now I don't know how much of an issue this might be to people. I am super ultra sensitive to stereo imaging being centered and can INSTANTLY if something is off. A lot of recordings actually are but I have some go-tos that I rely on.
Can you manage to put them in the opposite ears and determine if the volume difference follows the earpiece?

Feb 18, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #2,539 of 5,353
I remember that extraction, you could never get it to become “as new” again? It’s amazing that everyone has different ideas as to the sound, still I guess that’s normal for Head-Fi? Everyone has sudjective opinions.

And still you think that filter you pulled out was slightly in a too far pushed in place? Sad you could not fix your action. I’m amazed how delicate this whole sound adjustment thing is. I’m just surprised you couldn’t put “anything” back into the sound tube and get a sound you like? I can only see a green and grey filter. But I leave everything alone as I like the sound. I can’t see how the sound would be muffled? But my two pairs opened up after 40 hours. I ended putting 200 hours of burn in on two pairs. I will have to look to see if the tube filters are in different places between the two pairs I have. The two pairs sound exactly the same?

Edit:

The “new-set” are those IEMs or tube filters? I think you can buy the tube filters right?

And again if we can adjust tube filters it would be like doing EQ to every pair.

And......if this tube filter distance is a huge variation between IEMs and is creating a sound difference it COULD be responsible for different sounds between IEMs. It could be responsible for the treble spike.

Still I think there are multiple ways to skin a cat. Too high of treble due to filter placement in nozzle, change IEM tip, and cable till all is well.
There's actually an "extraction" tool that you can use (as I have found out) that grabs the filter and you can pull it out (don't know how easy that is). There are six or seven different dampering filters of various levels of dampering (of how much mids from the bass driver) mixes with the treble/mid side (which has no filter). The green filter is in the middle of the pack for filtering, so there are two or three sets on either end of the more/less degrees of filtering. I got the whole set plus the extraction tool for under $30. I'll probably just play with the filters on either side of the green one because I'm not sure which one is less/more of what I'm looking for (I'm also getting a green pair too, in case that one is the best one but I'll play with it's placement). Probably another week or two before they get to me though.
The Knowles datasheet shows some graphs of filter placement and its effect. Two positions A and B (one being close to the filter and one being closer to the exit of the tube) and all of the changes are slight variations in the upper frequencies.
Edit: And I can get the DM6 to sound pretty good with just sticking some acoustic foam material in bass side, but since I can get the filters, and they are stepped in adjustment, I thought I would go with that since it's repeatable (and understandable as to what it's actually doing) and won't disintegrate in the tube (like foam might).

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #2,540 of 5,353

I had a similar issue with the IT01s, one side was way quieter than the other by more than 6db. Cable swapped revealed that the stock cable was broken. Now my set is getting repaired but it's taking a long time without them... You may want to try another cable and see if it stays the same or improve...

Feb 18, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #2,541 of 5,353
This IS a SPC, as I still need to try pure copper.
https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Connection-Supported-MUC-M12NB1【Japan-products】/dp/B071WWFG1K

The “M12B1” is the only cable I like with the DM6. It has a very detailed low end. It has an acceptable treble. I like it. So used to the cable now, I just listen and don’t judge equipment anymore. I also use it with the 1Z which has a slight treble spike, but it’s still nice with the cable.
Isnt the kimber kable from sony 200+ usd? Currently out of my budget, but can't deny the sexiness of that kimber kable. Haha I think the muc-m12b1 is copper. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #2,542 of 5,353
which one are you referring to? DM6? Yeah they're largely handmade, there will be some imperfections. But I still ****ing love my dm6. The fa7 is made with a resin moulding.
Yeah don't get me wrong, not "imperfection" just the way it is, it was beautifully made. I really liked the design and build quality. I sent mine back, because I couldn't make it "enjoyable" with most of my songs. The best configuration I had was with gold plated balanced cables, even though still too bright. Sad, because I was really excited about it, better comfort than my Andromeda S.

Feb 18, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #2,543 of 5,353
Yeah don't get me wrong, not "imperfection" just the way it is, it was beautifully made. I really liked the design and build quality. I sent mine back, because I couldn't make it "enjoyable" with most of my songs. The best configuration I had was with gold plated balanced cables, even though still too bright. Sad, because I was really excited about it, better comfort than my Andromeda S.
Yeah. But it happens, not everyone likes the same things, especially with this hobby with so many variables. Just keep searching. The Fearless Audio line looks promising through BGGAR on YouTube, especially the S6Rui.

Feb 18, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #2,544 of 5,353
Yeah. But it happens, not everyone likes the same things, especially with this hobby with so many variables. Just keep searching. The Fearless Audio line looks promising through BGGAR on YouTube, especially the S6Rui.
Exactly, it's all subjective, I went with the flow and bought it, but was surprised when received. The Andromeda S was a blind buy too, but it was perfectly my cup of tea. I respect everyone that loves the DM6 and I understand, because the details on every other frequency of it is really good and gets better with burning in.

Feb 18, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #2,545 of 5,353
Edit

Attachments

• 3FE9463C-5534-43DD-A0EA-F43AD6AF7984.png
    3FE9463C-5534-43DD-A0EA-F43AD6AF7984.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #2,546 of 5,353
Isnt the kimber kable from sony 200+ usd? Currently out of my budget, but can't deny the sexiness of that kimber kable. Haha I think the muc-m12b1 is copper. Is that correct?

One is the 12SB1 SPC $166
One is the 12NB1 OFC $238

I really like the whole sound of the 12SB1 though who knows the 12NB1 may turn out to be a better combo with the DM6?
https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/headphone-extension-cables/muc-m12sb1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WWFG1K?tag=3340693-headfi-20

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #2,547 of 5,353
There's actually an "extraction" tool that you can use (as I have found out) that grabs the filter and you can pull it out (don't know how easy that is). There are six or seven different dampering filters of various levels of dampering (of how much mids from the bass driver) mixes with the treble/mid side (which has no filter). The green filter is in the middle of the pack for filtering, so there are two or three sets on either end of the more/less degrees of filtering. I got the whole set plus the extraction tool for under $30. I'll probably just play with the filters on either side of the green one because I'm not sure which one is less/more of what I'm looking for (I'm also getting a green pair too, in case that one is the best one but I'll play with it's placement). Probably another week or two before they get to me though.
The Knowles datasheet shows some graphs of filter placement and its effect. Two positions A and B (one being close to the filter and one being closer to the exit of the tube) and all of the changes are slight variations in the upper frequencies.
Edit: And I can get the DM6 to sound pretty good with just sticking some acoustic foam material in bass side, but since I can get the filters, and they are stepped in adjustment, I thought I would go with that since it's repeatable (and understandable as to what it's actually doing) and won't disintegrate in the tube (like foam might).

Wow! Cheers! More power to you. Your taking all this to the next level. Just the fact that people can actually buy a tuning kit and a tool for under $30 is amazing. So it seems your happy with your tune now but question just how far you could go? And.......just the fact that the filters are color coded so your experiences and final outcome can be emulated by others. So cool. Though I’m not so good with these types of maneuvers; I’ll probably leave stuff as it is and roll cables a little.

But we may actually find there is a slight difference in sound if filter placement creates a sound variable in the end. It seems this stuff is so very delicate that you could move a filter just a hair and maybe get change?

Feb 18, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #2,548 of 5,353
Can you manage to put them in the opposite ears and determine if the volume difference follows the earpiece?
Thanks for the suggestion. I did this and yeah, its not the DM6 being louder in one side, its that it doesn't fit my right ear well. Seems that canal is smaller. sheesh..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back