BGVP discussion thread DM7/ DM6/DMG and NEW BA series
Jan 23, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #1,816 of 5,353
Agree with fiio. Me too wanted to test fiio m6 first. But i think it's not so dependent on the exact dac than on it's implementation. But i could imagine that fiio usually a little bit too neutral and for dm6 i want warmer source as armatures compensates this. I heard topping from cheaper Chinese manufacturers has good reputation. One of my possible buys in the future their portable dac nX4 dsd. Don't think that such as chord mojo are worth bigger investment. As i am more mobile phone + dac than separate dac user. The 9038 chip used in NX4 is possibly better than 9018 with dx6. But no one will say till experience this with my own ears. :wink:
Not sure your budget and size target, but from memory the Fiio Q5 sound warm and really relaxing sound. Used to like a lotfor that, more than the X7mk2 that was flat neutral. Give it a try.

Jan 23, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #1,817 of 5,353
@Giullian which tips and cable were you using for listening to DM6 ?

It seems from numerous feedback that the DM6 is very sensitive to slightest variations in setup that change its sound signature.
I have only had a brief chance to test out the DM6 and the difference it made just by changing the source from the LG V30 to the iPhone XS was huge - improved clarity, 3D stereo and tight deeper sub bass. It’s like a veil is lifted in a very perceptible way. This level of change is not something that I experience with any of my other headphones. Certainly not the degree with DM6. Very strange iem.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #1,818 of 5,353

It seems from numerous feedback that the DM6 is very sensitive to slightest variations in setup that change its sound signature.
I have only had a brief chance to test out the DM6 and the difference it made just by changing the source from the LG V30 to the iPhone XS was huge - improved clarity, 3D stereo and tight deeper sub bass. It’s like a veil is lifted in a very perceptible way. This level of change is not something that I experience with any of my other headphones. Certainly not the degree with DM6. Very strange iem.

So iPhone xs was better than lgv30? Does xs has better dac than lg? i actually thought that no iPhone can compete with lg "musical" phones". Or this is the situation that lg dac doesnt't fit dm6,

Jan 23, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #1,819 of 5,353
Agree with fiio. Me too wanted to test fiio m6 first. But i think it's not so dependent on the exact dac than on it's implementation. But i could imagine that fiio usually a little bit too neutral and for dm6 i want warmer source as armatures compensates this. I heard topping from cheaper Chinese manufacturers has good reputation. One of my possible buys in the future their portable dac nX4 dsd. Don't think that such as chord mojo are worth bigger investment. As i am more mobile phone + dac than separate dac user. The 9038 chip used in NX4 is possibly better than 9018 with dx6. But no one will say till experience this with my own ears. :wink:
Sss is for S-abre, mostly in my experience. I'm neutral tuned AKM fan (Alien+).

Jan 23, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #1,820 of 5,353
O

I used both out of the box config. Silicon tips and original cables. I know my Andromeda's change slightly with the other balanced cable I have, but when comparing I avoid that.

So you're right about sensitivity of the DM6 and that applies to most IEM, specially comparing V30/V40 with any other smatphones. I also tried both with my Razer 2's dongle and the comparison's are the same, as both are being tested the same way, but trully the DM6 is much more enjoyable on that dongle as it is not as much detailed and precise as the DX7s desk config. The highs are not that harsh.

Really want to try them with my SR15 as they are warm and musical. But unfortunately it is on warranty check now, will do when it comes back.

Jan 23, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #1,821 of 5,353
So iPhone xs was better than lgv30? Does xs has better dac than lg? i actually thought that no iPhone can compete with lg "musical" phones". Or this is the situation that lg dac doesnt't fit dm6,

I can only speak of iPhone XS MAX with the the apple headphone adapter. It clearly sounds superior with all of my iem’s and headphones - just the difference is much more apparent now with DM6. Some LG loyalists are not going to accept my words easily.

As mentioned it has more clarity, better stereo sound (3D imaging/soundstage??) and much better low end bass. LG V30 sounds warmer, comparatively veiled and overall not as emotionally involving to listen to.

I use Tidal HiFi on both phones and also have HiRes local files that I play with audiophile player apps such as Neutron & USB player.

I first purchased a preowned V30 to use a dedicated DAP because of its DAC and 3.5mm jack and later the iPhone XS to use as smartphone. I really didn’t expect the sound from the iPhone to be better and dismissed it too soon.

The main positives of the LG are it can drive high ohm headphones, has BT LDAC and can do streaming Tidal MQA.

Jan 23, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #1,822 of 5,353
Iphones are more "musical" and cut a bit on the high frequencies. V30 is more detailed. From what I can hear and read about the DM6 they are not forgiving with the high's, so is understandable that the iphone sounded better if that's the case.

Jan 23, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #1,823 of 5,353
O

I used both out of the box config. Silicon tips and original cables

That does explain your findings better as most people having a positive feedback are making basic cheap changes with tips and or copper cable/balanced.

Jan 23, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #1,824 of 5,353
I can only speak of iPhone XS MAX with the the apple headphone adapter. It clearly sounds superior with all of my iem’s and headphones - just the difference is much more apparent now with DM6. Some LG loyalists are not going to accept my words easily.

As mentioned it has more clarity, better stereo sound (3D imaging/soundstage??) and much better low end bass. LG V30 sounds warmer, comparatively veiled and overall not as emotionally involving to listen to.

I use Tidal HiFi on both phones and also have HiRes local files that I play with audiophile player apps such as Neutron & USB player.

I first purchased a preowned V30 to use a dedicated DAP because of its DAC and 3.5mm jack and later the iPhone XS to use as smartphone. I really didn’t expect the sound from the iPhone to be better and dismissed it too soon.

The main positives of the LG are it can drive high ohm headphones, has BT LDAC and can do streaming Tidal MQA.
Nice to read that. Opposite from my listenings. But well well described. :)

Jan 23, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #1,825 of 5,353
Iphones are more "musical" and cut a bit on the high frequencies. V30 is more detailed. From what I can hear and read about the DM6 they are not forgiving with the high's, so is understandable that the iphone sounded better if that's the case.

I have to disagree with you on that. I didn’t say anything about highs being the reason to enjoy the sound from iPhone more.

I’m not suffering from highs with the DM6 using the LG and I’m a treble sensitive person.
In the past I couldn’t get along with the EX1000 or TF10 for this reason.

People are trashing the iPhone dongle too soon as did I. Performs excellent with the iPhone XS.

I would have much rather preferred the LG had better audio to my ears. Now I’m torn to choose between it or the iPhone XS for listening to music outside which was not the plan. LG definitely the one to drive my big headphones in the house and streaming over BT LDAC to HiFi rig.

Nice to read that. Opposite from my listenings. But well well described. :)

What source are you using ?

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #1,826 of 5,353
I just got my DM6 a couple days ago and I am comparing it to the Andromeda S now and I needed to come here to share my experience in quick words. :)

(Rig: Tidal hifi + Topping DX7s)

First trying it with Music I like and now how it should sound.

Wiz Khalifa - On my level (or pretty much anything out of the Rolling Paper album) - This album has really good low, mids and "clicks" on high frequency that shows straight away if a gear is Hash.

DM6 - Volume -40dbs - the highs get to a point that "hurts" some times. lows are slight muddy, still really good. Mids slight recessed. Really good imaging.
Andromeda - Volume -50dbs (needs much less power for the same punch) - a bit more neutral and the highs are definitely there and detailed, but doesn't get close to "hurt" as the DM6. Lows and Mids are there and are really detailed, but not muddy or overwhelming. Imaging is amazing and clearly better than DM6.

Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the jungle (Master) - Guns has a lot of mids and highs

DM6 - Volume -40dbs - Again, the highs are really present here and detailed, but too much for me that overcome everything else. Lows are there, but not the best song to test lows, still really good. Mids more forward than the Andromeda. Really good imaging.
Andromeda - Volume -50dbs (needs much less power for the same punch) - a bit more neutral and detailed high that don't "hurt". Lows as per DM6, not the best song to test Lows. Mids are definetely there, but a bit recessed compared to DM6, but still really detailed. Imaging is amazing and clearly better than DM6.

(tried other things too) Overall DM6 is a really good IEM, but I can't ignore the "S" problem (singer using S or drum plates) on the highs that gets a bit too much sometimes., much better than my KZ AS10 though, but Andromeda S is still a better all around, but for the price difference and if you are not as sensible to Highs as myself, is definitely a great buy.

Really good post, mate.

Not sure it would be fair/right to compare a brand new pair (DM6) with your Campfire Andros which you probably burned for like hundreds of hours, if not more.
Also, Try to use the DM6 with a pure copper cable. It makes a huge difference.
Additionally, try tip rolling.

Jan 23, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #1,827 of 5,353
Not sure it would be fair/right to compare a brand new pair (DM6) with your Campfire Andros which you probably burned for like hundreds of hours, if not more.
Also, Try to use the DM6 with a pure copper cable. It makes a huge difference.
Additionally, try tip rolling.
Not even a hundred on the Andromeda's. But agree, will burn a more the DM6 and hope it will get better. For comparison I like to use stock, as I want to see how it is intended but the manufacturer. But will try a different cable and balanced soon. Will update here if the findings change. :)

Jan 23, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #1,828 of 5,353
I have to disagree with you on that. I didn’t say anything about highs being the reason to enjoy the sound from iPhone more.

I’m not suffering from highs with the DM6 using the LG and I’m a treble sensitive person.
In the past I couldn’t get along with the EX1000 or TF10 for this reason.

People are trashing the iPhone dongle too soon as did I. Performs excellent with the iPhone XS.

What source are you using ?
Good that you like and is your taste, that's what us i. Iimportant. I tried the Andromeda's with iphone X and dongle and the V30. Didn't try the new iphones. I don't think iphone is bad, just think is not as much detailed. And I thought the highs area less bright. The Razer 2 with razer dongle sounds good, but that dongle has a lot of hiss that all my headphones detect. But sounding is subjective, right?

I will keep using the DM6 to burn and see what improves. I will update you guys later on. :)

Jan 23, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #1,829 of 5,353
Is there any way to check the authenticity of the DM6's? I am receiving mine today, bought them in Ali but want to check if they are the real deal. The price is consistent, but, again, I want to make sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back