BF1942 or BF2? Both? CS Source?
Jun 10, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #46 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez
Nope. Same video card too. He also said he wants to bring it to college.
mad.gif
That means no extra computer for me, that is if he has room in his dorm.
icon10.gif
By the time I go to college, my pc will be way out of date (about 9 years old by then) and my laptop will be greater then it in every way.

How olds your brother? HE probably should be studying and not gaming, lol. Don't buy a laptop for gaming, I have a friend who did and it was his biggest computer mistake. If you want one for school, geta lightweight.

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #47 of 113
My brother is 16, turning 17 over the summer, and is going into his senior year.

I'm not saying I would be getting a gaming laptop, I'm saying my desktop would be worthless to carry off to school by then. My laptop would overpower it even if it isn't a gaming laptop by speed and probably even by graphics.

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #48 of 113
Quote:

My brother is 16, turning 17 over the summer, and is going into his senior year.

I'm not saying I would be getting a gaming laptop, I'm saying my desktop would be worthless to carry off to school by then. My laptop would overpower it even if it isn't a gaming laptop by speed and probably even by graphics.

You'de be amazed how that might be untrue. Cpu wise, yes, but graphic cards, probably not. All the lightweight laptops I know of, or the majority of really lightweight ones have intergrated graphics which sucks compared to the 9200 radeon. Even the macbook has intergrated graphics.

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #50 of 113
Have fun with source. I think with your card you'll need to tweak the game a lot. Even then, your FPS will still fluctuate quite a bit. What about a video card upgrade
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #51 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by n1cx
Have fun with source. I think with your card you'll need to tweak the game a lot. Even then, your FPS will still fluctuate quite a bit. What about a video card upgrade
biggrin.gif

Yeah, with all low it should be playable. His parents seem to be pretty iffy from what I'm reading about games and upgrades.

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #52 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Yeah, with all low it should be playable. His parents seem to be pretty iffy from what I'm reading about games and upgrades.

He needs to tweak it more than that. All low helps quite a bit but usually not enough. I have an ATI Radeon 9200 as well. Unless he can bear the fairly low frame rate, it's almost unplayable. But then again I'm used to playing with constant 100 fps on 1.6.

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #53 of 113
Great. Now I'm worried about how playable this game will be.
mad.gif

Oh and by the way, my brothers pc does have a 2.4 ghz processor in it, but his computer seems to generally run slower, and I'm running Stylexp and many more things and he isn't. He hasn't even installed his X-fi yet.

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #54 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by n1cx
He needs to tweak it more than that. All low helps quite a bit but usually not enough. I have an ATI Radeon 9200 as well. Unless he can bear the fairly low frame rate, it's almost unplayable. But then again I'm used to playing with constant 100 fps on 1.6.

Well, atleast if he gets 1.6 he can get 100 FPS on 1.6.

Their are a lot of tweaks though and things you can change in CS, and it usually won't look too bad.

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #55 of 113
Hmmm. Maybe I'll buy 1.6 now.
icon10.gif
I may have a friend pick it up for me, just so my dad doesnt think I'm going crazy. Of course, I'll wait to play my new games, though.

Jun 10, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #56 of 113
Quote:

Hmmm. Maybe I'll buy 1.6 now.
icon10.gif
I may have a friend pick it up for me, just so my dad doesnt think I'm going crazy. Of course, I'll wait to play my new games, though.

Might be a smarter idea. I used to play 1.6 on a 5700 and p4 2 ghz and it ran so so itself, so CS:S doesn't seem like the smartest idea.

Jun 10, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #57 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Might be a smarter idea. I used to play 1.6 on a 5700 and p4 2 ghz and it ran so so itself, so CS:S doesn't seem like the smartest idea.

Well, I guess I'll find out how CS:S runs soon enough. I hope its at least half decent.

Jun 10, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #58 of 113
Quote:

Well, I guess I'll find out how CS:S runs soon enough. I hope its at least half decent.

Oh, you ordered already?

Jun 10, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #59 of 113
Quote:

Alright, I downloaded a demo of Battlefield 2, and I love the game play. I'm really tempted to buy the full game. I just would like to know if BF1942 is also worth getting. I love FPS's, and I love FPS's that sound great with my new sound card (X-fi Xtrememusic).

I was also looking at getting CS: Source. It always looked like fun. The thing is, I don't really want to spend alot on a few games. I'm using a Radeon 9200, and I can get BF 2 to run smoothly in single player. BF 1942 should be no problem. But what about CS Source? That should be fine, right?

I don't know if I would like CS Source, though. I played CS 1.6 at my friends house, and got kind of annoyed. It wasn't very fun to me, but maybe that's because I got about 5 minutes of play time.

Suggestions?

Well, 1942 is kind of died down. Compared to the gameplay of BF2 it's not as exciting. I'm waiting for BF 2142. BF2 should keep you busy, and Vietnam isn't too bad for a taste of the jungle, but the system requirements are crazy-ish. If you like BF2 then source probably isn't for you. It's fast paced, and has a steep learning curve before you become good.

Jun 10, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #60 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
Well, 1942 is kind of died down. Compared to the gameplay of BF2 it's not as exciting. I'm waiting for BF 2142. BF2 should keep you busy, and Vietnam isn't too bad for a taste of the jungle, but the system requirements are crazy-ish. If you like BF2 then source probably isn't for you. It's fast paced, and has a steep learning curve before you become good.

I found bf2 to complex, with vehicles and everything. CS is a really simple game, point, shoot/nade, capture the hostages, defend the hostages, plant the bomb, defuse the bomb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back