BF1942 or BF2? Both? CS Source?
Jun 10, 2006 at 12:29 PM Post #16 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
One vote for getting BF1942 (the Platinum Edition including both XPacks is really priceworthy now, and hardware requirements are generally very moderate for modern standards...) - to me, it's still the most fun shooter out there. Online gaming is nice - usually I still get ~ 800 servers to choose from, whenever I want to play, so the community is still alive and kicking.

Oh, just btw, I found a nice 1942 server yesterday, which could be interesting for us, 'cause it's located somewhere in NY state and has a very fast connection - so fast that my ping from Germany was only 75 ms (I'm using a 2 Mbps/192 kbps DSL connection with error correction/without fastpath here - ping to German and close European 1942 servers usually is ~ 60 - 80 ms). Thus that would be the first US based 1942 server I'm aware of that would be good to meet up on for some transatlantic Head-Fi1942 fun...
wink.gif
It was listed as "jungle wars" and had the original maps plus original extra maps and both xpacks enabled.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Yes, my plan was to get the pack that came with all of the expansions. I believe that costs about $17. I think I'll pick that up, and get CS 1.6 or source later. I assume BF1942 doesn't have EAX?
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #17 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez
Yes, my plan was to get the pack that came with all of the expansions. I believe that costs about $17. I think I'll pick that up, and get CS 1.6 or source later. I assume BF1942 doesn't have EAX?
tongue.gif

A lot of games have eax 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0, few have 5.0, and any that do, your computer would probably die trying to run (no offense.) CS isn't a bad game, but people take it too far, especially a lot of other 13 year olds I know.

Jun 10, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #18 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman
mad.gif
mad.gif
de_dust is one of the most ct stacked maps in the game. The ct's can cover all sites faster then t's can rush them the same with aztec. Dust_2 on the other hand is one of my favorite and the most balanced map imo.

de_dust2 can be pretty one sided for the ts if you have decent strategies. de_cpl_mill is much more balanced imo.

Jun 10, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #19 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
A lot of games have eax 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0, few have 5.0, and any that do, your computer would probably die trying to run (no offense.) CS isn't a bad game, but people take it too far, especially a lot of other 13 year olds I know.

my computer was actually running the BF 2 demo with the sound set to Ultra High quality, with EAX enabled. Graphics were half low and half medium.

I think I'll start off with BF1942 and CS 1.6. That way I get free shipping. That Counter Strike 1 Anthology set does allow you to play online, right? Isn't it just three original cs games packed together?

Jun 10, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #20 of 113
Later today I'm ordering BF1942 collection, and probably the Counter Strike 1 Anthology. The thing is, the graphics of source look so tempting.
tongue.gif

I really need some more advice. Source looks like it would be fun with those graphics and lots of people say it's great, but more people say 1.6 is better. In what ways is it better?

I'm trying to get into the more realistic side of gaming. More than just run and kill games, which I will admit I love to do.

Jun 10, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #21 of 113
If you want realistic... neither are for you. They're fun games, but nowhere near reality. America's Army is the most realistic shooter available today, and it's free to boot.

BF1942 and CS:1.6 are really fun, but the graphics of Source and BF2 blows them out of the water. Your card will have trouble running BF2 online, I can guarantee that - I had a fair amount of lag with an X800XL, Athlon64 and 1GB RAM setup, and several driver issues. BF1942 has a lot of fun gameplay, I enjoyed it when I had it. It's a lot more team-based than CS, due to the differing vehicles and classes, and if you are on a good server with a good team - wow. It will be really fun.

Enjoy!

Jun 10, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #22 of 113
I know I'm going to order BF1942, but I don't know whether I want Source or 1.6. I was thinking maybe getting 1.6 now, but I really don't know what to choose. A big plus to 1.6 is that its 17 bucks with 2 other CS 1 games in the Anthology pack. I don't know which I would enjoy more. More help please.
icon10.gif

Wait, would cs source run fine on a radeon 9200?

Jun 10, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #23 of 113
Quote:

my computer was actually running the BF 2 demo with the sound set to Ultra High quality, with EAX enabled. Graphics were half low and half medium.

I think I'll start off with BF1942 and CS 1.6. That way I get free shipping. That Counter Strike 1 Anthology set does allow you to play online, right? Isn't it just three original cs games packed together?

CS 1.6 is online if that's what you mean. I don't know about the pack, I bought the pack with all the games together (opposing force, hl, cs, etc) and the other one with CS:S and Hl2, and the CZ one back in March of 2k4 I believe. BF2 does have good effects, but even on my sysetm with an x800xl it chokes.

Jun 10, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #24 of 113
Quote:

I know I'm going to order BF1942, but I don't know whether I want Source or 1.6. I was thinking maybe getting 1.6 now, but I really don't know what to choose. A big plus to 1.6 is that its 17 bucks with 2 other CS 1 games in the Anthology pack. I don't know which I would enjoy more. More help please.
icon10.gif

Wait, would cs source run fine on a radeon 9200?

CS:S may also choke quite a bit on a 9200. More so, regular CS takes like a 9800 pro or so to even get a stable 100 FPS, so even with regular CS, you will probably have a bit of choking problems near smoke and stuff, but it should be playable.

Jun 10, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #26 of 113
Quote:

Is CS source more "advanced" then UT 2004? Because I get occasional lag on UT 2004.

I have no idea, but I would guess they are similiar due to their similar release dates (both in 2004.)

Jun 10, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #27 of 113
I think I'm gonna get 1.6. That's the one my friend plays anyways. Then, if they release cs source in a multi pack thing for half the normal price, I might get it.

Jun 10, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #28 of 113
Quote:

I think I'm gonna get 1.6. That's the one my friend plays anyways. Then, if they release cs source in a multi pack thing for half the normal price, I might get it.

Buy both, on low settings it should run okay, not the smoothest, but you won't die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back