BF1942 or BF2? Both? CS Source?
Jun 10, 2006 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 113

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright, I downloaded a demo of Battlefield 2, and I love the game play. I'm really tempted to buy the full game. I just would like to know if BF1942 is also worth getting. I love FPS's, and I love FPS's that sound great with my new sound card (X-fi Xtrememusic).

I was also looking at getting CS: Source. It always looked like fun. The thing is, I don't really want to spend alot on a few games. I'm using a Radeon 9200, and I can get BF 2 to run smoothly in single player. BF 1942 should be no problem. But what about CS Source? That should be fine, right?

I don't know if I would like CS Source, though. I played CS 1.6 at my friends house, and got kind of annoyed. It wasn't very fun to me, but maybe that's because I got about 5 minutes of play time.

Suggestions?

Jun 10, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez
Alright, I downloaded a demo of Battlefield 2, and I love the game play. I'm really tempted to buy the full game. I just would like to know if BF1942 is also worth getting. I love FPS's, and I love FPS's that sound great with my new sound card (X-fi Xtrememusic).

I was also looking at getting CS: Source. It always looked like fun. The thing is, I don't really want to spend alot on a few games. I'm using a Radeon 9200, and I can get BF 2 to run smoothly in single player. BF 1942 should be no problem. But what about CS Source? That should be fine, right?

I don't know if I would like CS Source, though. I played CS 1.6 at my friends house, and got kind of annoyed. It wasn't very fun to me, but maybe that's because I got about 5 minutes of play time.

Suggestions?

I personally find 1.6 a lot more fun than Source. I played Source for about six months and went back to 1.6. 1.6 just has a better feel to it than Source. Maybe I prefer not so realistic games. Not to mention how much easier it is to run 1.6 with 100 fps.

I also find 1.6 to be slightly harder to pick up than Source though. My best example would be how much my cousin sucked at 1.6 and when he played Source he was a lot better than before. Hope it helped.

Jun 10, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 113
Maybe I'll ask to borrow counter strike from that friend just to get a little taste of it, and see if I start to like it more.

Any solution to the BF2/1942 stuff? I don't know how good BF1942 is, but I know I'm liking BF 2. Hows the online play with both?

Jun 10, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 113
Quote:

Maybe I'll ask to borrow counter strike from that friend just to get a little taste of it, and see if I start to like it more.

Any solution to the BF2/1942 stuff? I don't know how good BF1942 is, but I know I'm liking BF 2.

I've never tried BF1942 but I didn't really like BF2. The pace is a bit slow and there are way too many extra things like the vehicles.

Jun 10, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 113
Any other comments about any of these?

I see what you are saying about the vehicles and stuff, but sometimes I find that that adds fun to the game. Maybe I'll get BF1942 and CS 1.6. That's a total of $30, and maybe later on I can get BF 2.

Jun 10, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 113
Quote:

Any other comments about any of these?

I see what you are saying about the vehicles and stuff, but sometimes I find that that adds fun to the game. Maybe I'll get BF1942 and CS 1.6. That's a total of $30, and maybe later on I can get BF 2.

After you get used to 1.6, try playing it competitively in leagues like the Cyberathlete Amateur League (CAL). It's really fun especially if you play with a bunch of friends. You'll get hooked for a good amount of time for sure.

Jun 10, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 113
i recommend Day of Defeat Source. much more fun than cs and the spawning time is faster. also there is a slight lower amount of annoying dumb kids than cs. your card can handle it on medium or low graphic.

Jun 10, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
i recommend DODSource. much more fun than cs and the spawning time is faster. also there is a slight lower amount of annoying dumb kids than cs.

Bah I hate those dumb kids. There are so many that thinks that if anyone is better than they are, that person cheats. Happened to me so many times and I'd get banned for it since almost everyone in the server would agree with that dumb kid. And then there are those that thinks they're all that and yet they suck.

Jun 10, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 113
Does anybody have a solid suggestion? Does saying that I also like UT 2004 help? I think I may get CS 1.6, since it's only 15 bucks. If I don't like it, then I don't like it. If I do, then great! I guess I was looking for a game that can show off my EAX.
icon10.gif

Jun 10, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #10 of 113
source is so fun, once you find a good server. The game is really fast paced and the models are amazing. I liked DoD better then DoD source they just took out too many classes imo. Source is alot more newbie friendly then 1.6. In source flashbangs work and you don't get owned through walls. Source had laggy hitboxes in the beginning so there was a ton of of bs with shots because your hitbox would be 3 or 4 paces behind your model so you would either be a tank or the victim of a headshot when you clearly have cover; but that is fixed now.

Source looks pretty.

Jun 10, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #11 of 113
CS Source when I play pc games, GRAW on the 360...

Jun 10, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #12 of 113
Mostly GRAW ever since my 7800GT went up in a puff of steam.

Used to play BF2 before that. Infantry combat is a bit lacking, even though that's pretty much all I did.

Jun 10, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #13 of 113
Hi PYROphonez, you should play CS 1.6 or source at your friend's house some more. If you don't like de_dust, maybe CS isn't for you
smily_headphones1.gif

BF2 online kills my machine =(. It's acceptable on low-med settings, but I still feel that the response is never fully smooth. I've got some serious bottlenecks though, with ram less than half of the often recommended 2 gigs =( and a very old p4 2.4.

Btw single player games with the full version are just like the demo. You play with a very small map radius and only a couple of AI. Missions on the expansions might be better, but I haven't purchased any yet.

Also, I think there are 2 or 3 expansions out for BF2. Might be worth waiting a bit for them to pack em' all together in a bundle instead of spending too much to get them separately.

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #14 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Hi PYROphonez, you should play CS 1.6 or source at your friend's house some more. If you don't like de_dust, maybe CS isn't for you
smily_headphones1.gif

mad.gif
mad.gif
de_dust is one of the most ct stacked maps in the game. The ct's can cover all sites faster then t's can rush them the same with aztec. Dust_2 on the other hand is one of my favorite and the most balanced map imo.

Jun 10, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #15 of 113
One vote for getting BF1942 (the Platinum Edition including both XPacks is really priceworthy now, and hardware requirements are generally very moderate for modern standards...) - to me, it's still the most fun shooter out there. Online gaming is nice - usually I still get ~ 800 servers to choose from, whenever I want to play, so the community is still alive and kicking.

Oh, just btw, I found a nice 1942 server yesterday, which could be interesting for us, 'cause it's located somewhere in NY state and has a very fast connection - so fast that my ping from Germany was only 75 ms (I'm using a 2 Mbps/192 kbps DSL connection with error correction/without fastpath here - ping to German and close European 1942 servers usually is ~ 60 - 80 ms). Thus that would be the first US based 1942 server I'm aware of that would be good to meet up on for some transatlantic Head-Fi1942 fun...
wink.gif
It was listed as "jungle wars" and had the original maps plus original extra maps and both xpacks enabled.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back