Beyerdynamics T1 Amplification Thread
Oct 16, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #31 of 135

Quote:

Concerto seems interesting. Anybody compared the Meier Concerto to WA3 (or any other Woo-WA's) - or perhaps to the Grace m902.

I have the latter and have a problem with fatigue (cymbals, bright violins, trumpets etc)

The Concerto is a great SS match for the T1s IMO, but I do prefer tubes with them. The Woo6 is really good with them (and so is the Mapletree tube amp).

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #32 of 135
Most of you seem to prefer a tube amp! Do any of you know why?
Is it because of a higher output impedance typical for tupeamps mating better with the 600 ohm t1 or because of the tonal balance of tupe versus ss?

I ask because I have a Rudistor amp with a tonality thats very close to a typical tube amp while sounding perfect 1 minute after I turn it on. I love it and don´t want any other amp but I would like a pair of top open back phones to mate with it.

So my real question is. Could the T1 work with the low output impedance Rudistor?

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #34 of 135

Quote:
Most of you seem to prefer a tube amp! Do any of you know why?
Is it because of a higher output impedance typical for tupeamps mating better with the 600 ohm t1 or because of the tonal balance of tupe versus ss?

I ask because I have a Rudistor amp with a tonality thats very close to a typical tube amp while sounding perfect 1 minute after I turn it on. I love it and don´t want any other amp but I would like a pair of top open back phones to mate with it.

So my real question is. Could the T1 work with the low output impedance Rudistor?

Being 600 ohms headphones, they really need high voltage swings to drive them properly. This is (typically) where good tube amps surpass good SS amps.

Lower impedance headphones need more current...thus their general preference for SS amps.

Nov 10, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #35 of 135

Quote:

Hi Kasper. I think you should get the the T1 if you want :) It works great with a good SS. I have two  (Grace and Naim) and both are good with the T1. My only complaint is that I can find them a bit bright sometimes - but I am a brightness sensitive person (HD800 din't work for me, Grado's are no-go) So that's why I'm tempted to try the tubes. 

However, the Hifiman HE-6 might be an option for you also. They are low imp, it's just out now. 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/493214

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #36 of 135
The T1s are very good from the HP out of the Luxman L505-u. I'd heard very little about the headphones stages of the big Luxmans but this one has impressed me so far. And the amp is an absolute killer with Harbeths to boot...

I have found the T1s to preserve its sound across amps more consistently than some others I've owned. I like them with the Cary but they're superb through the GCHA also. I'd avoid a genuinely bright-sounding amp with the T1s, but few amps of real quality will have that characteristic anyway, I suspect.

best,

o

Nov 13, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #41 of 135
I think voltage swing has very little to do with it, particularly if you listen quiet (less than 80db)

Getting output impedance "right" is KEY in my experience, OTL amps with no global feedback do it. Other amps with high output impedances (through a resistor) can also work out.

Nov 13, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #42 of 135
The T1 sounds absolutely terrific being driven balanced from a Little Dot MK VI with RCA 6AS7G and Tung-Sol VT-229, it's like the music is sucking you in. I have heard the T1 from a SPL Auditor before and didn't like the sound, slow and a bit too analytical.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #43 of 135
I've been using the T1s on a Little Dot MKIII and it sounds fantastic in all aspects. What stands out the most is the transparency, instrument separation, soundstage and how engaging the music is, all with the right amount of bass level and impact, as well as treble. It's just a pure joy to listen to with ANY sort of music.  I am surprised a $200 amp can drive them so well. It has made me second guess my purchase of a Concerto which I am waiting to arrive. I guess i will have 2 great options :)

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #44 of 135

Quote:
I've been using the T1s on a Little Dot MKIII and it sounds fantastic in all aspects. What stands out the most is the transparency, instrument separation, soundstage and how engaging the music is, all with the right amount of bass level and impact, as well as treble. It's just a pure joy to listen to with ANY sort of music.  I am surprised a $200 amp can drive them so well. It has made me second guess my purchase of a Concerto which I am waiting to arrive. I guess i will have 2 great options :)

heard it on both the MK111 and Concerto. Different flavor but the Concerto is better than the MK111 but the Decware CSP-2 really makes them sound at a much higher level IMO

Dec 3, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #45 of 135
I am using the Concerto and as Ive read and as I can confirm this is a really really good combination. Actually, I still dont have another amp but I am waiting for my Sonett. Hopefully it will arrive before christmas :). When I have it, I will tell you possible differencies and I am sure that there will be differencies :).

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back