Beyerdynamics T1 Amplification Thread
Oct 13, 2010 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 135

ardilla

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all T1 owners!

Wouldn't it be a nice thread if everybody who owns a T1  write up which amps they have tried and which they enjoyed most and for what reason? 

Anyway, I I'llstart this thread. This is my amp, seen through the T1 using MY ears...

Amp1:
Grace m902. Great amp/dac combo. Prat and detail. Nuance. Beautiful 3D imaging  But I am quite sensitive to upper mids/lower trebles, and this amp doesn't make it easier for me.... My quasi-audiophile friend on the other hand was extatic about the combo and played it longer and louder than I'll be near of ever doing. So if you dont have an issue with this (I guess everybody who can listen to Grado's for more than 15 minutes don't..  - then Grace is a good choice. Especially all the functionality it has. LIke the cross feed. Remote. balanced out, pre-amp.. built in DAC...

Amp2: 
Naim Headline
Great Naim prat and detail. Slightly warmer and less hard on the treble than the Grace - otherwise they seem quite similar. But still very up-front. Prefer this one, but miss the crossfeed. Powered by a custom-made TeddyCap. 

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 135
The Decware CSP-2 is the best amp I have heard with the T1. The SS amp that was also very good was the PS Audio GCHA and the Matrix. The CSP_2 really makes them magical and wouldn't change the combo it is my reference. All others I had Matrix,PS Audi Asgard are all gone but the Decware is my permanent fixture

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 135
I like the GCHA a lot with the T1s -- sweet top end that works well with the Beyer's transparency and lots of grunt. Also using the Cary Sli-80 Sig with great success -- rich and spacious sound with zero fatigue. The EarMax Pro works well but not ideal for my listening preferences. I really look forward to my time with these -- suspect comfort is a factor here.

best,

o

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 135
I use my T1 on the Audio-GD ROC and WA3+. I like the sound of the WA3+ a little bit more, but the ROC has a far more refined sound with a wider soundstage.

Oct 14, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #6 of 135
I have only one amp for her, WA3 which sounds great to my ears. After nearly 5 years with this amp, I remain happy any upgrade-urge free. I want to try a Concerto but those funds went towards a new 32" monitor. Time to start saving again.

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #7 of 135

Quote:
I have only one amp for her, WA3 which sounds great to my ears. After nearly 5 years with this amp, I remain happy any upgrade-urge free. I want to try a Concerto but those funds went towards a new 32" monitor. Time to start saving again.

I may be alone in not loving the Concerto with the T1s. For me the combo was a bit dry, though there was all kinds of power and a good sense of space and drive. But everyone's ears are different. I actually think the T1s are quite forgiving, so long as the amp can handle the high impedance. They seem to work (at least ) well with the several amps I've tried with them -- such was NOT my experience when I owned the Hd800s. I'm becoming mich more of a fit n' forget guy when it comes to audio. The T1s are refreshing in that regard.

best,

o

Oct 14, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 135
I have tried my recabled T1 with: Rudistor RP010B MkII, Woo Audio WA5-LE, RSA Apache, Phonitor and Zana Deux,.
Even that they sound great with all of them it is clear to me that the tube amps make them sound better and especially my WA5-LE make them sound the best IMO. The soundwith it is very open, dymanic, 3 dimensional, great tone accross all frequencies and great bass.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 14, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 135

Quote:
Have anyone tried the T1 with the Burson HA-160?

Kinda been thinking of getting the T1 lately, but I have no idea if they're a good match for my amp. ^^

As a huge T1 fan that I am (I know, some might be surprised by this
wink.gif
), had I heard the Burson/T1 combo the very first time I ever heard the T1s, I would have returned them ASAP. The synergy for me was that off. For the money the Concerto (SS amp) or MAD Ear+HD (tube amp) or Woo6 (tube amp) make the T1s one of the 2 or 3 very best headphones I've ever heard.
L3000.gif

Quote:
I have tried my recabled T1 with: Rudistor RP010B MkII, Woo Audio WA5-LE, RSA Apache, Phonitor and Zana Deux,.
Even that they sound great with all of them it is clear to me that the tube amps make them sound better and especially my WA5-LE make them sound the best IMO. The soundwith it is very open, dymanic, 3 dimensional, great tone accross all frequencies and great bass.

My experiences with tubes match your experiences over SS amps as well with the T1s.

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #11 of 135
The T1 are absolutely terrific with the Woo WA2. I listen to them almost exclusively on the WA2 now. It's a terrific pairing.

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 135

Quote:
The T1 are absolutely terrific with the Woo WA2. I listen to them almost exclusively on the WA2 now. It's a terrific pairing.

What about your Leben?

How would you compare the Concerto to the Audio gd Phoenix (which I believe you used to own)?

Thanks Rob!

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #13 of 135
The Leben sounds good with everything, but it's really better with low impedance headphones. I use it with the Edition 8 and LCD-2.

The Concerto is quite good, for sure. I like it a lot with the T1. But the WA2 is definitely a step up in performance IMO.

Oct 14, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #14 of 135

Quote:
The Leben sounds good with everything, but it's really better with low impedance headphones. I use it with the Edition 8 and LCD-2.

The Concerto is quite good, for sure. I like it a lot with the T1. But the WA2 is definitely a step up in performance IMO.

Agreed. I do like the Concerto very much, but prefer my tube amp (and find a step up as well in performance).

Oct 15, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #15 of 135

Quote:

[size=medium]
How do the Woo-people find the T1's with regards to brightness? I find them rather fatiguing on my Grace, slightly less so on the Headline, both SS of course. 

Are tubes a bullet-proof fix to this? I am seriously considering getting a Woo - how big is the difference between WA3, WA6 or WA2? 
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back