Beyerdynamic Tesla T1/Burson HA-160?
Jun 2, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #16 of 35

Quote:
^^^

The review, while very well written, I completely disagree:

"The HD800 is smooth and very analog sounding. The T1 is lucid, sharp, and articulate. The HD800 is warm and full bodied. "

It's the other way around guys.
confused.gif

x1 even though the HD800 is more amp sensitive at least with my stuff and what I tried..

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #19 of 35

Quote:
If not the T1, what would be the best headphones to pair up with the Burson 160?

It seems to me with my research that people usually have very good things to say when pairing the high end Sennheisers with the Burson.  The HD800/Burson combo gets mentioned quite a lot.  

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #20 of 35
Audeze LCD-2's too. You can always check their blog to see what people is using with the Burson Machinery. 

I've heard some people liking the HA160 with T1's...others likes tubey sound. It comes to a personal choice. 

Jun 3, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #21 of 35
Audeze LCD-2's too. You can always check their blog to see what people is using with the Burson Machinery. 

I've heard some people liking the HA160 with T1's...others likes tubey sound. It comes to a personal choice. 

I actually enjoy the T1s with the Concerto....the Burson though was too bright and thin sounding with the T1s. Just my 2 cents.

It was great with the LCD-2s on the other hand.

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #22 of 35
Sory for hijacking the thread :wink:

It's a shame that taxes are so high when importing stuff from the US to UK. I Would love to try a pair of LSD2s, but wuold have to buy from EU, which is not very easy. T1s are readily vailable making it the first choice out of a range of headphones I think may be suitable for me. I will have to read some more about LCD2s and see whether these would be what I would like, if not, I am still going to try T1s and see how they work with HA-160D, if they do not I will get something else.

Jun 4, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #23 of 35

Quote:
I'm kind of surprised at the lack of synergy some people are reporting between the T1's and the Burson. I say this because a couple of Head-Fi'ers here (sorry I can't recall who) did a comparison with the Meier Concerto and the Burson HA-160. They said in effect that they brought out their notepads to record observations of their close listening and...nothing was written-- because they sounded pretty much the same, apparently. One person commented that the Burson might be just a tad brighter, but there were no real significant differences to report. Both were fairly positively regarded.

I bring that up because I've read a few folks say the Meier-T1 combo is pretty good, as far as SS is concerned. IF the Burson sounds very close to the Meier, one might then surmise that the Burson would work well with the T1's too. I don't know the spec details between the amps, but how might one then account for the heard mismatch between the T1 and the Burson?

Frankly, I want to believe that the T1-Burson combo is good-- because I happily own the Burson as my main amp, and I hope to get the T1's soon. I don't want to have to get another amp for it, at least not for a while. Also, on many recording at least, I quite enjoy the Burson with my Beyer DT880's. If anything, the Burson highlights both the virtues, and alas, the shortcomings of the 880's. But overall I thought if I enjoy the 880's with the Burson, I would likely be even happier upgrading to the T1.

What do people think? Does anyone else have the T1-Burson combo, or lived with it for a while?

I also find it curious that people have spoken positively about the Senn HD800-Burson combo, and the Audeze LCD2-Burson combo. I wonder why not the Beyers as well? 

That thread was an interesting read. The Head-Fi'er who goes by the name of milosz created a fascinating thread where he compared a variety of headphone amplifiers and was surprised by how similar they sounded. His actual listening experiences made somewhat of a mockery of his expectations, particularly when the comparisons involved expensive and inexpensive amps.

Dr Jan Meier advised me to "Be aware, differences between amplifiers are generally much smaller than differences between headphones. The headphone makes 80% of the sound." And I wonder how many contented T1/HA-160 combo owners haven't bothered to respond to this thread? 

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #24 of 35
I just got this combo (160D,T1) setup a couple days ago. I would say that even it's not the best setup for T1 but it's fine.
By the way, I may need to do some power cable, fuse and probably headphone cable replacement to suit my personal preference.

Note that "High Gain output" provided a better result than "Low Gain" when driving T1

I bought this 160D to try since I plan to use it as a source for my speaker system as well.

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #25 of 35

Quote:
I just got this combo (160D,T1) setup a couple days ago. I would say that even it's not the best setup for T1 but it's fine.
By the way, I may need to do some power cable, fuse and probably headphone cable replacement to suit my personal preference.

Note that "High Gain output" provided a better result than "Low Gain" when driving T1

I bought this 160D to try since I plan to use it as a source for my speaker system as well.

Would you be able to provide more detail about the HA-160D and T1 pairing? How is the brightness described by MacedonianHero? How is detail, bass etc.?

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #26 of 35
Brightness is base on personal preference and music listening, I used to own both 4070 and O2. I found myself enjoy listening to 4070 over O2 by some sort of music.
LCD2 excels in bass to mid range but a bit lack of extended treble to me. HD800 is very good in image/sound stage but less involving to me. Just to let you know my background.

Let's come back to your question:
- Detail: T1 is one of the best dynamic headphone that excel in this point. So, the overall result of this point will depend pretty much on DAC part of HA-160D.
I'll rate it 7.5-8/10. A dedicated DAC should do a better job.

- Bass/Impact: 160D has good enough power to drive T1 (with high gain output), I'm impressive, toe tapping and moving my head like this
L3000.gif
when listen to fusion jazz.
I'd rate bass 8/10, and impact 9/10

- Treble: I feel a bit lack of extended treble (should be better when changing a fuse to audio grade or silver headphone cable), I'll give 8.5/10

I'll give 8/10 for overall matching of this combo, and 9/10 for value of money. I personally believe that T1 should do a better job with tube amp (for one who want to setup rig without compromise).
note that the final comment base on my experience of DT880/Woo WA6.

PS. I just check your rig, and yes it might be a bit brightness to you. however, because of T1 not Burson 160D which give a bit warm tone to me. All these just from 10 mins listening, and I have no time to do some more experiment yet.

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #27 of 35
U can try. I didnt get asked to pay any tax or duty. I got it yesterday from US to Uk. But that could be lucky?
Quote:
Sory for hijacking the thread :wink:

It's a shame that taxes are so high when importing stuff from the US to UK. I Would love to try a pair of LSD2s, but wuold have to buy from EU, which is not very easy. T1s are readily vailable making it the first choice out of a range of headphones I think may be suitable for me. I will have to read some more about LCD2s and see whether these would be what I would like, if not, I am still going to try T1s and see how they work with HA-160D, if they do not I will get something else.

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #28 of 35

Quote:
U can try. I didnt get asked to pay any tax or duty. I got it yesterday from US to Uk. But that could be lucky?

Did you have it sent as a gift? How much did the whole can cost you including shipping and the likes?

On a second thought, I am not sure that LCD2s are the cans I am looking for.

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #29 of 35
No. I bought WA 6 SE and LCD 2 both last week. Neither was sent as a gift. The letter on the box stated clearly the involce value and every detail.

LCD 2 costed me £650 including shipping. Those companies don't lie on their shipping. And Alex replied me saying I might need 2 pay custom fees or tax depending on Uk govement. I jst didnt.

Quote:

Did you have it sent as a gift? How much did the whole can cost you including shipping and the likes?

Jun 8, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #30 of 35
Thanks everyeon for the opinions, I hope the OP will get some info out of this too, I am getting a lot of interesting information here.

You were realy lucky as I always pay taxes when I get anything from the US and it induriates me how that raises the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back