Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Nov 3, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #1,156 of 4,487
  Fragile termination pads on the drivers, make it something only for those experienced with soldering techniques.  Some headfiers ruin their drivers with too much heat, wouldn't advise without experience.  I had no problem with my DT880's or T90's, but I have made dozens of Sennheiser cables, and direct wired a half dozen other headphones!  This voids the warranty as well

Good to hear... I planned on getting a recable t90 my self... I have no interest in hearing stock I want it balanced or not at all 

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #1,157 of 4,487

Fragile termination pads on the drivers, make it something only for those experienced with soldering techniques.  Some headfiers ruin their drivers with too much heat, wouldn't advise without experience.  I had no problem with my DT880's or T90's, but I have made dozens of Sennheiser cables, and direct wired a half dozen other headphones!  This voids the warranty as well

Good to hear... I planned on getting a recable t90 my self... I have no interest in hearing stock I want it balanced or not at all

I just ordered more wire for my T90.  I am going to build an 8 wire DHC type 2 litz cable.  I read in a review that someone had a T1 with ALO custom cable, and it hammered the stock cable in sound.  I did a re-cable yesterday of my DT880 600 ohm, with 8 wire type 2 litz wire from DHC.  The difference was really unbelievable, I am really floored at the sound.  I have unleashed a monster in my DT880 with that wire configuration.  More voltage/current driving them, just as the T1 reviewer stated.  I was EQ'ing the DT880's until now.  Notes have much more meat, no more thin sounding DT880, bass is fantastic, more natural sounding.  The Beyerdynamic sig is still there, just much, much better all around, smooth powerful sound, no more EQ needed.  Now I am excited to get the new wire/cable finished for my T90, expecting the same results.  The DT880 rewired had moved well ahead of my stock T90, but I fully expect that to change later this week.  Did dual entry on the DT880 with a 8 wire square braid, four wire braid to each cup.  Now my HD600's and other headphones sound thin in comparison!

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #1,158 of 4,487

I just ordered more wire for my T90.  I am going to build an 8 wire DHC type 2 litz cable.  I read in a review that someone had a T1 with ALO custom cable, and it hammered the stock cable in sound.  I did a re-cable yesterday of my DT880 600 ohm, with 8 wire type 2 litz wire from DHC.  The difference was really unbelievable, I am really floored at the sound.  I have unleashed a monster in my DT880 with that wire configuration.  More voltage/current driving them, just as the T1 reviewer stated.  I was EQ'ing the DT880's until now.  Notes have much more meat, no more thin sounding DT880, bass is fantastic, more natural sounding.  The Beyerdynamic sig is still there, just much, much better all around, smooth powerful sound, no more EQ needed.  Now I am excited to get the new wire/cable finished for my T90, expecting the same results.  The DT880 rewired had moved well ahead of my stock T90, but I fully expect that to change later this week.  Did dual entry on the DT880 with a 8 wire square braid, four wire braid to each cup.  Now my HD600's and other headphones sound thin in comparison!

Exactly, I noticed awesome improvements in the Dt 880 when I got my recabled one! 

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #1,159 of 4,487
Hi I am using the T90 together with my Colorfly C4. And after (at least) 300 hours the sound still keeps changing. I was very satisfied in the last 100 hours with the T90. The sound was balanced. Sibiliance was gone. But now the T90 suprised me again with extreme sibiliance (comparable with the first hours after taking it out of the box). Songs lilke "give a little bit" (Supertramp remastered) or "Hotel California (HiRes version of HDTracks) or "On the Border" (Al Stward) or "Black Market" (Weather Report rematsered) became nearly unlistanable. I also checked with other sources (S9 from COWON). But it does not depend on the device. I am nearly now thinking to return to the shop and get a T5P or a LCD2 instead. Does anyone has similar experiences? When does the T90 finally settle? I also used the Sheffield burn-in track in the beginning to speed up the process. But obviously it did not help.

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #1,161 of 4,487
Most of them still sound good, maybe a little too bright. But the ones with lots of cymbals (e.g. Weather Report, one of my favourites) and some with acoustic and some electric guitars, mastered with lots of high frequencies (e.g. Supertramp, Rush) are really too sibilant. What bothers me most is that the T90 are still changing. Before I did extensive burn-in with special burn-in signals and music (> 200 hrs). I thought they have been settled and they kept their sound signature (which I liked) for 100 hours.  But suddenly they are changing again! When do they really settle?

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #1,162 of 4,487
Well, thanks for the reply.

My experience is very diffrerent, they have sounded the same after many hours of listening. No real change that I can detect.

Well recorded stuff sounds great still, and crap ...well still sounds like crap.

This am I went thru some of my recordings that are similar to what your listening to and I hear the same as your hearing.

Even though stuff is from HD tracks etc doesnt mean that the recordng is world class or any different than the original..
if that original was sibilent its still going to be that way or worse with more sampling and bits...

I hope your T90s settle in for you....for me they have been pretty solid consistent performers...

Alex

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #1,163 of 4,487
Cute, would you mind posting a picture of your upgraded T90s? 
happy_face1.gif
 Also, are there any good tutorials on making your own cables like you are doing?

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #1,164 of 4,487
In regards to the T1 vs the T90, the T1 has angled drivers so I'd expect soundstage depth to be better on it, if nothing else. Has anyone here heard both the T1 and the T90? Or the T90 and the T70? Someone was asking about those comparisons, I would be interested in hearing them as well.

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #1,165 of 4,487
Not both at the same time unfortunately - so I'm going off audio memory; with different chains. Generally though, my impression is that they're close, with T1 having an edge in sound stage/depth, micro detail, etc. I do get the sense though, that positioning in the sound stage is somehow better with the T90. Again, from memory, different chain, etc. I will say though, that my custom DAC/custom Crack/T90 chain has become my most listened to.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #1,166 of 4,487
In regards to the T1 vs the T90, the T1 has angled drivers so I'd expect soundstage depth to be better on it, if nothing else. Has anyone here heard both the T1 and the T90? Or the T90 and the T70? Someone was asking about those comparisons, I would be interested in hearing them as well.

I own both the T90 and T70p. They sound very different, the T70p have alot of detail in the upper mid range and treble, but are not as warm as the T90. The T70p are not a thin sounding headphone but they remain very nuetral on the bottom end of the sound spectrum. They EQ very well and can produce some very heavy bass, almost to where too much lift in bass on an album like "Pure Heroine" by Lorde is over powering. They are excellent for Jazz and Classical, and other accoustic music, but they don't have the same level of realism and detail as the T90.
With the T90s work well with just about every genre and they "show" you everything, edits, overdubbs, and room accoustics, some perfomances sound more "live." And I think thats thier appeal. The T90s are also open back with deep ear cups, which makes a greater sound stage and they sound more like speakers around your head rather than headphones directly in your ear. Both the T70p and T1 closed back and the sound stages of both aren't as big.

I've only simulated the T1 with the T70p through Accudio, the sound was just a little punchier and darker sounding than the T90. I personally don't think I'd like them as much as the T90s. Keep in mind the T1 are a portable headphone, with a short cord and low impedence. The idea of walking around and listening to an iPod or Phone with a $1400 headphone is a bit rediculous.
The T90 is the top end open back headphone from Beyerdynamic and the T70 &T70p is the top end Closed Back headphone. The T1 seems more like an experiment in marketing.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #1,167 of 4,487
  Not both at the same time unfortunately - so I'm going off audio memory; with different chains. Generally though, my impression is that they're close, with T1 having an edge in sound stage/depth, micro detail, etc. I do get the sense though, that positioning in the sound stage is somehow better with the T90. Again, from memory, different chain, etc. I will say though, that my custom DAC/custom Crack/T90 chain has become my most listened to.

What is your custom DAC? What mods to customize the Crack?

I find the ODAC/Crack/T90 an exceptional combination, especially with RCA clear top 12AU7 and Bendix 6080wb.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #1,168 of 4,487

Have you thought about a recable of the T90?  I read a 6moon review of the T1, and the reviewer was given a T1 with a high quality ALO cable, that significantly improved the sound of the T1.  His impression of the T! and the ALO cable, put the T1 as the best headphone that he ever heard......take into account that this was his opinion/review!  I recabled my T90 to dual entry, with high quality DHC Peptide type 2 litz, and I am currently working on an 8 wire braid for my T90.  I did the 8 wire braid, DHC Peptide type 2 litz to my DT880 600 ohm, and currently is my best headphone.  I was previously using a little EQ on the low end, and on the treble spike......since the 8 wire recable no EQ needed, and there is way more detail soundstage, and meat on the notes.....I am using an Audio-GD DAC and a very good tube amp as well!

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #1,169 of 4,487

Have you thought about a recable of the T90?  I read a 6moon review of the T1, and the reviewer was given a T1 with a high quality ALO cable, that significantly improved the sound of the T1.  His impression of the T! and the ALO cable, put the T1 as the best headphone that he ever heard......take into account that this was his opinion/review!  I recabled my T90 to dual entry, with high quality DHC Peptide type 2 litz, and I am currently working on an 8 wire braid for my T90.  I did the 8 wire braid, DHC Peptide type 2 litz to my DT880 600 ohm, and currently is my best headphone.  I was previously using a little EQ on the low end, and on the treble spike......since the 8 wire recable no EQ needed, and there is way more detail soundstage, and meat on the notes.....I am using an Audio-GD DAC and a very good tube amp as well!

Actually, I do plan to purchase another T90 and go balanced/recable. I'll probably get around to recabling my current SE chain pair at some point. I'm a believer in a good cable upgrade. 

Nov 6, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #1,170 of 4,487
I own both the T90 and T70p. They sound very different, the T70p have alot of detail in the upper mid range and treble, but are not as warm as the T90. The T70p are not a thin sounding headphone but they remain very nuetral on the bottom end of the sound spectrum. They EQ very well and can produce some very heavy bass, almost to where too much lift in bass on an album like "Pure Heroine" by Lorde is over powering. They are excellent for Jazz and Classical, and other accoustic music, but they don't have the same level of realism and detail as the T90.
With the T90s work well with just about every genre and they "show" you everything, edits, overdubbs, and room accoustics, some perfomances sound more "live." And I think thats thier appeal. The T90s are also open back with deep ear cups, which makes a greater sound stage and they sound more like speakers around your head rather than headphones directly in your ear. Both the T70p and T1 closed back and the sound stages of both aren't as big.

I've only simulated the T1 with the T70p through Accudio, the sound was just a little punchier and darker sounding than the T90. I personally don't think I'd like them as much as the T90s. The idea of walking around and listening to an iPod or Phone with a $1400 headphone is a bit rediculous.
The T90 is the top end open back headphone from Beyerdynamic and the
T70 &T70p is the top end Closed Back headphone. The T1 seems more like an experiment in marketing.

Uhh. What? This is so unimforming. Where do I start? First, T1 is semi-open back. It has high impedence (600ohms) and has a cord length of about 9-10 ft. The T1 is the flagship for open/semi-open and the T5p is the top closed back flagship. And you can't just eq/simulate the T1 since it's the only Beyer that has angled drivers, it's PHYSICALLY different. If you haven't actually heard it, please keep the "observation" to yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back