Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Oct 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #1,141 of 4,487
  Anyone recabled these to dual entry, upgraded wire?  These sound very good stock, but the single entry not my favorite.  I have DHC Peptide braided and waiting, can't help but think it would really be a good match.  I have about every DHC wire available, using the DHC Peptide on my DT 880 600 ohm.  Just out of the box today, and with my gears/tube amp, best headphones I have heard by far.  Could live with them with the stock cable, sounds very good, may decide to tinker......would like some feedback.  To my ears all of my DHC cables have improved on the original wire where used, can't imagine how these could sound with the change!  Using jRiver MC with crossfeed and audiophile settings, these are really bringing some new life to my library!

Feedback!

Did this!  Dual entry with DHC Peptide type 2 litz, lost that artificial sound that the stock cable had.  The Peptide cable offers a more natural sound the the T90, more refined details, better texture to the low end.  Lost that inside a box sound of the original cable!

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #1,142 of 4,487
Nov 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #1,144 of 4,487
Fragile termination pads on the drivers, make it something only for those experienced with soldering techniques.  Some headfiers ruin their drivers with too much heat, wouldn't advise without experience.  I had no problem with my DT880's or T90's, but I have made dozens of Sennheiser cables, and direct wired a half dozen other headphones!  This voids the warranty as well

Nov 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #1,145 of 4,487
Hi folks, are these worth £100/$160~ more than the T70?

People don't seem to rate the T70 all that highly, but love these...

I don't mind closed vs open but I'm more familiar with the former. Is that the only real difference?

I also have the Denon D600's in the frame and they're obviously cheaper. It's just for general use, music/movies/games (in that order).

Any thoughts?

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #1,146 of 4,487
Hi folks, are these worth £100/$160~ more than the T70?

People don't seem to rate the T70 all that highly, but love these...

I don't mind closed vs open but I'm more familiar with the former. Is that the only real difference?

I also have the Denon D600's in the frame and they're obviously cheaper. It's just for general use, music/movies/games (in that order).

Any thoughts?
The T90s are loved/hated as well. It's pretty split even amongst Beyer fans. I haven't heard the T70s myself but from what I've read, the T70s lack bass but everything else is clean and crisp.

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #1,148 of 4,487
I love my pair of T90s. For me, it was well worth the $500 that I spent. But to be fair, I haven't heard anything else so I can't say it's the best at it's price point, just that it really works for me and my ears/preference. I prefer a neutral-ish signature and don't mind a bright-lean. I like treble but I won't say that I'm a treblehead. I can't take too much of it, thus I didn't like the DT990s as much. You can check my profile for some other cans that I have/had as a reference point. atomicbob seems to think they're a bargain and he has/had higher tiered cans.

E: Another research point, Dave Mahler's Flagship comparison ranks the DT880 around the middle at 28 overall but is ranked 4 when price comes into play. The T1 is ranked 14 and 13. T90 is half the price of the T1 and better than the 880s. Just my opinion but, I think they would rank in the Top 10 price wise.

Nov 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #1,149 of 4,487
In my opinion only a well driven HE-500 is better in this price range. But the HE-500 is less comfortable and harder to drive to a comparable level of sound quality. Also it's harder to get the HE-500 on sale with its strict pricing. T90 is normally $650 and HE-500 is $700. Got mine both on sale for $150 off those prices.

Nov 1, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #1,150 of 4,487
Thanks guys.

I just need to pick between the T70 and T90 now, both of them seem to be available to me at better prices than their competitors (that are generally not considered to be as good).

I really need to try them, though this may prove slightly difficult if the shop don't allow it. I've never owned a pair of open headphones before but in theory they sound like something I'd enjoy.

The T70 are quite a lot cheaper, which certainly appeals (why wouldn't it), but if I find the T90's a much better sounding headphone then I wouldn't hesitate to pay the extra...

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #1,151 of 4,487
I'm enjoying my T90s a lot. I felt that my quest for good sounding cans was over. I just bought the momentums on ear for portability and looks but I was done for high quality.
However I can get the T1s on sale and my resolution is beginning to crumble.
Please save my wallet and the sanity of my wife, and convince me that I don't need those T1s!

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #1,152 of 4,487
Please save my wallet and the sanity of my wife, and convince me that I don't need those T1s!

One could point to the many reviews that say the performance of the T90 is almost identical to the T1, then point to the price difference. Granted, I just bought mine without hearing them, but I have to buy everything without hearing it. One reviewer said the T90 was 95-97% of the T1. I don't know what the consensus is here, but if that's remotely true it's not worth spending more. Put it away for a rainy day. 

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #1,153 of 4,487
Well, you are in fact quite convincing! My wallet suspires in relief.

One could point to the many reviews that say the performance of the T90 is almost identical to the T1, then point to the price difference. Granted, I just bought mine without hearing them, but I have to buy everything without hearing it. One reviewer said the T90 was 95-97% of the T1. I don't know what the consensus is here, but if that's remotely true it's not worth spending more. Put it away for a rainy day. 

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #1,154 of 4,487
I've been doing a lot of reading and overall, there doesn't seem to be a big difference between the T90 and T1 - at all.

That's not to say there aren't differences, but I bet you've got to be rather keen to pick them out/really enjoy them.

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #1,155 of 4,487

Users who are viewing this thread

Back