Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Sep 9, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #961 of 4,487
Just spent a few hours going back and forth between the T90s. Q701's and Grado 325is.

I havent listend to the Q701's and Grados since I have had the T90's and wanted to see how good the lower cost cans I have on hand
are compared to the more expensive T90s..

I was surprised that the other cans by themselves are still very good cans, yes they sound different but not in a bad way.

The soundstage of the T90s is very coherent....well balanced from side to side or left to right.

The Q701's have a wonderful soundstage as well, but the noticeable difference which is a bit uncanny to me is the T90s have both a nice
left to right soundstage but also a forward and backward dimension....like 3D. Its really amazing and stood out across many well recorded
material.

The Grados are bright cans, and reallt clear, crystal clear no veil at all....the Grado sound can be abit much depending on the material for sure.
But with good material they are quite listenable....Larry Carltons cd and guitar work is very well done with these cans,

Going back and forth I noticed that the bass depth was a little lacking with the 701's .....the deep tones and harmonics were just not as good as the
T90's.

I was thinking of selling one of these cans...but after this session they all are good in their own right....

The favorite to me is the T90 followed by the Q701 and Grados.

Linda Ronstadt has a double cd with the Nelson Riddle orchestra, and its a wonderful journey into the past...the Round Midnight song on the end
of the second CD is melt in your mouth great, its like magic....very 3D like. With the T90s its like she is sitting on a stool in front of you...her voice in this
hits some very high strong notes...OMG there is NO sibilance of any kind....absolutley amazing...if your cans can reproduce her voice here they are really
doing their job extremely well..

All this with the lowly Objective 2 and ODAC still my favorite..

Alex

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #962 of 4,487
  Just spent a few hours going back and forth between the T90s. Q701's and Grado 325is.

I havent listend to the Q701's and Grados since I have had the T90's and wanted to see how good the lower cost cans I have on hand
are compared to the more expensive T90s..

I was surprised that the other cans by themselves are still very good cans, yes they sound different but not in a bad way.

The soundstage of the T90s is very coherent....well balanced from side to side or left to right.

The Q701's have a wonderful soundstage as well, but the noticeable difference which is a bit uncanny to me is the T90s have both a nice
left to right soundstage but also a forward and backward dimension....like 3D. Its really amazing and stood out across many well recorded
material.

The Grados are bright cans, and reallt clear, crystal clear no veil at all....the Grado sound can be abit much depending on the material for sure.
But with good material they are quite listenable....Larry Carltons cd and guitar work is very well done with these cans,

Going back and forth I noticed that the bass depth was a little lacking with the 701's .....the deep tones and harmonics were just not as good as the
T90's.

I was thinking of selling one of these cans...but after this session they all are good in their own right....

The favorite to me is the T90 followed by the Q701 and Grados.

Linda Ronstadt has a double cd with the Nelson Riddle orchestra, and its a wonderful journey into the past...the Round Midnight song on the end
of the second CD is melt in your mouth great, its like magic....very 3D like. With the T90s its like she is sitting on a stool in front of you...her voice in this
hits some very high strong notes...OMG there is NO sibilance of any kind....absolutley amazing...if your cans can reproduce her voice here they are really

Alex

Thanks for the impressions. So would you say the 325is is brighter than the T90?

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #964 of 4,487
*EDIT*
*EDIT*

Alex

O2+ODAC are a very good system. They are my favorites for transportable transparent sound. It takes something in the class of Violectric V800+V200 to achieve greater transparency. For an extra 3D experience try some of Chesky's Binaural+ recordings.

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #965 of 4,487
Hey,

I'm surprised someone thinks the 325i is brighter than the T90's. I've heard them a few times outside of my demo pair and they still strike me as shrill. I don't have SR-325is's anymore, but they were never as bright as the T90. 

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #967 of 4,487
Wow so many vewpoints on the 325's ....I have had mine for 2 yrs.

They are "bright" in that they sound very ver crisp and clear....many times we say that there it that "veil" with cans...

I notice this with many cans even with the LCD2's...there great but we seem to come back to that there is still that slight veil or lack of in you face openess...

With the Grados its like BAM, in your face clear.....or it sounds clear....and this compared to many other cans is startling to say the least....

Looking at the curves of 4 of the cans I use the most now:

The peaks of the Grado curve indicates where it is brighter, sharper, biting, shrill etc...compared to the T90's. This may be why I hear them so "clear" and veiless...

I am not saying this is good or bad...its just different to me.....enough to still want to listen to them with certain types of music....

Alex

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #968 of 4,487
The 325 IS much brighter than the t90, and the mids seem too loud compared the the overall volume. .hey the t90 doesn't hurt my ears, and still reveals much more of the music. Im trying to sell my 325s because I know ill never listen to them again.

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #969 of 4,487
oh mi gawd I want a T90 q.q, it just looks like the perfect upgrade to the Dt 880 [FUSING IT WITH A DT 990] damn... but it is like twice the price of my Balanced Dt 880 atm 

Oh yea... I got a fully balanced Dt 880 [Zombie did the recable <3] should be getting an actual balanaced listen here shortly out of my pb1 db1 combo

that and I'm going for an audio Gd in about 1-2 weeks as well. but STILL q.q the T90 looks so nice... maybe in the Spring I'll buy and balance one <3 

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #970 of 4,487
that right, beyer is really pushing hard. T80/90+custom ones? Can't wait to see all this xD.thanks
28.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #971 of 4,487
Last I heard Beyer had no plans to release a T80. But there will be a Custom One Studio and a Custom One Tesla coming out soon which should be interesting.

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #972 of 4,487
these are the first headphone, i've actually heard improve from burn in. 

got about 50 hours on them now, and they are phenomenal 

Sep 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #973 of 4,487
  these are the first headphone, i've actually heard improve from burn in. 

got about 50 hours on them now, and they are phenomenal 

The Dt 880 and 990 both did the same over 200 horus them selfs. I think it's the Beyer Pads not so much the headphones xD 

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #974 of 4,487
Auditioned these today alongside the Shure SRH1840 and the DT880 250ohm. Fell in love with the T90 immediately. Very clean sounding with excellent detail but not fatiguing like Grados. Very comfortable too. Now to find the cash...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back