Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Sep 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #976 of 4,487
  deniall......I have been buying and selling stuff for years to get the cans I finally like...the T90's are indeed a classic set of cans.
Hope you get a set!
A.

What's your current setup?

Sep 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #978 of 4,487
My present system is (2) Objective 2 amps, one i bought assembled, one I built and installed in a case with the ODAC. I have 2 ODACS and a HRT MSii+.

I have several PC's setup and a Network AVR, enet LAN, HTPC etc..

So I can listend to the O2 amp and cans in several settings.

I can listen to cans:

1. Onkyo SR805 headphone jack..using the AVR's Dacs and Amp.
2. Onkyo SR805 pre out to the O2 and use the O2 amp with the Onkyo DAC.
3. HTPC via USB Dac either ODAC or others...to O2 amp.
4. HTPC via USB Dac either ODAC or others...to Van Alstine pre-amp and use its headphone amp and circuityr.
5. OPPP modded BD83SE using its Sabre Dac and its headphone amp.
6. A old gateway desktop via USB ODAC to O2...via JRiver on the PC.
7. USB drive attached to another Onkyo 2 ch stereo only Network receiver...use its Dac and amp via the headphone jack.
8. USB drive attached to another Onkyo 2 ch stereo only Network reveiver...use the pre amp out to the O2.

After many hours of comparing these AND other amps and dacs....blind testing etc..I have settled in on the O2 and ODAC as more that sufficient with a wide variety of headphones, LCD2's, AKG 701, 702, Q701, Grado 325is, Beyer 1350, Beyer T90, and more...also have tries the Schitt stuff, Lyr, Asgard, built several DIY amps, etc...

If boiled down to finding an amp and dac that, to me, was transparent and did not add or take away from the music being played etc...so I could listen to what the various headphones really can provide and the source music.

Many, many people buy a set of cans, and spend money and time trying to get them to sound like they want...and if they reach this goal..often get another set of cans and find the amp etc may not work they way they want with it and its off to the buy another amp etc that works with the new cans etc...

That to me gets old fast..as well as tube rolling....OMG...

So finding an amp and dac combo that is neutral or transparent...solves this for me....my money is now spent on cans and music...but after the T90s...there isnt much of an  burning desire to spend more on cans either....at this time (LOL).

My favorite listening setup is the simple ODAC to O2 via the old desktop....easy to setup and use.
All of these sound pretty good to me, but by subjective built in bias has me keeping it simple.

All the best
Alex

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #979 of 4,487
Thank you Alex! You guys have me really excited to try the T90 now. I'm glad you found your amp/DAC combo. I hope it pairs well with my project starlight.

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #980 of 4,487
Hey Ethan,,,,

I hope if you go this route your happy!!

Human beings change with the wind and time....LOL.

I am a person that looks for perfection as best can be obtained by technology.

I have a very narrow focus and look for something than can allow the soucre music to be sent from the source media, CD, flac file etc to
the transducers with little or no changes or adjustment.

Unfotunately the source material we have in this world is ALL OVER THE PLACE.

We spend so much time trying to make stuff sound good that never will the way it was recorded and mastered.

I only use my setup to listem to music, dont care about portability, iPhone, this phone or that phone.

Just good old 2 ch stereo...and how good is it in my head"phones".

It doesnt bother me if the layout is strange or cluttered for the most part...or if it comes in red or fuscia (sp?)..

But oh yeah...I unfortunately have to live on a budget as most of us do...so when I discovered the O2 and ODAC at their
pricepoint well....what can I say....awesome..

Alex

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #981 of 4,487
agree'd I love my oDac and Matrix M stage [upgrade OP amp in mine] still I'm going to be using a Hifiman HM 801 and PB1 combo for a few weeks >.> I sold off my oDac and M stage as I just got an Audio GD 10ES2 but China is having 2 holidays and a killer typhoon so I doubt I'll get  my 10ES2 for a month or so q.q 

but I to am excited about the prospect of getting this :D my plan is to run it balanced out of the Audio GD or a Little Dot MKVIII SE 

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #982 of 4,487
Hey Ethan,,,,

I hope if you go this route your happy!!

Human beings change with the wind and time....LOL.

I am a person that looks for perfection as best can be obtained by technology.

I have a very narrow focus and look for something than can allow the soucre music to be sent from the source media, CD, flac file etc to
the transducers with little or no changes or adjustment.

Unfotunately the source material we have in this world is ALL OVER THE PLACE.

We spend so much time trying to make stuff sound good that never will the way it was recorded and mastered.

I only use my setup to listem to music, dont care about portability, iPhone, this phone or that phone.

Just good old 2 ch stereo...and how good is it in my head"phones".

It doesnt bother me if the layout is strange or cluttered for the most part...or if it comes in red or fuscia (sp?)..

But oh yeah...I unfortunately have to live on a budget as most of us do...so when I discovered the O2 and ODAC at their
pricepoint well....what can I say....awesome..

Alex

I agree, source material varies so widely. I'm really picky when selecting music because of this. I enjoy searching for perfection in technology and other things as well. And while you may not care about aesthetics, you lucked out because the T90 is beautiful! For me headphones are Sound + Comfort + Aesthetics (but not equally weighted).

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #983 of 4,487
I agree, source material varies so widely. I'm really picky when selecting music because of this. I enjoy searching for perfection in technology and other things as well. And while you may not care about aesthetics, you lucked out because the T90 is beautiful! For me headphones are Sound + Comfort + Aesthetics (but not equally weighted).

Agree'd I love the look of the T90 just wish it had a 600 ohm varition q.q running it balanced at 250 ohms scares me a little bit... and I don't want to even run it SE, still the MKIII SE has a low gain option, as does the Audio GD 10ES2 so let's hope Beyer increased how much power the drivers can handle, the Dt 880 tops out at a pathetic 100mw... granted at that much power your ears would be hurting but still... at 600 ohm impedance it's no big deal. 

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #984 of 4,487
Agree'd I love the look of the T90 just wish it had a 600 ohm varition q.q running it balanced at 250 ohms scares me a little bit... and I don't want to even run it SE, still the MKIII SE has a low gain option, as does the Audio GD 10ES2 so let's hope Beyer increased how much power the drivers can handle, the Dt 880 tops out at a pathetic 100mw... granted at that much power your ears would be hurting but still... at 600 ohm impedance it's no big deal. 
Uh.... what? Why? Ppl balance the HD600 and it's 300 ohms. Ppl run the Hifi-man planars balanced and those are less than 50 ohms so I don't get where you're going with that... The ohms just let you know what type of power(electricity) you want to run it with. Low ohms wants more current. High ohms wants more voltage. And the 880/600s at 100mW will give you about 116dbSPL, that's concert loudness levels. That's more than enough.

And what's wrong with SE? I think you're letting the whole "balanced" thing get to your head tbh.

FWIW, the T90s are more sensitive @102/1mW so they're more efficient than the DT880s. At 100mW of power, they're pushing 122 dbSPLs. Pain threshold is 130....

E: I checked the spec sheets for the T90, they max out at 200mW giving you 125 dbSPLs.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #985 of 4,487
Uh.... what? Why? Ppl balance the HD600 and it's 300 ohms. Ppl run the Hifi-man planars balanced and those are less than 50 ohms so I don't get where you're going with that... The ohms just let you know what type of power(electricity) you want to run it with. Low ohms wants more current. High ohms wants more voltage. And the 880/600s at 100mW will give you about 116dbSPL, that's concert loudness levels. That's more than enough.

And what's wrong with SE? I think you're letting the whole "balanced" thing get to your head tbh.

FWIW, the T90s are more sensitive @102/1mW so they're more efficient than the DT880s. At 100mW of power, they're pushing 122 dbSPLs. Pain threshold is 130....

E: I checked the spec sheets for the T90, they max out at 200mW giving you 125 dbSPLs.

Still that said, I'm glad to hear I shouldn't be able to destory my cans without hurting my ears, and I under stand what ohms is, all that about resitance, voltage and amps ect... ect... just don't understand what the limits are, what is TO much voltage and [stupid me] the headphones only draw as much current as they need... I am the one who will give them to much voltage herp derp, excuse my stupidity 

and I'm just moving to a Balanced Set up at home, and SE on the go. I don't want to run it SE at home because I JUST SPENT $600 on a freaking BALANCED AMP AND DAC xD I want to use 100% of that amp. So if that means recableing all my home cans then so be it damnit! I want to get the MOST out of this solid state as I'm not upgrading any moar with Amps for a LONG time. Want the LD MKVIII SE as my End Path Tube,

TRUST me I have nothing again'st SE but seeing as I spent the money to get balanced I feel as though I should honor that purchase and balanced all my cans, and I can afford it as I've mentioned gatta spend these goverment grants some kinda way... cuz after 2 years I'll be paying house payments and what not! 

SO once I get the T90 and LD MK VIII SE [and some tubes] I am DONE with upgrades till I've got my own place to stay and a car that runs better than my current one. I can njoy a small house, I can enjoy a small car, I can njoy eating rice everyday of my life, but there will come a time in which I've got to upgrade so I can has a family. So again getting all my big purchases out the way now while I'm single, and I'm the ALL OR NOTHING guy, 

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #987 of 4,487
Then why would you got with a SE tube amp??? You need to balance that schiit too!
BAM!!

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa22.html
biggrin.gif

STUPID HEAD the LD VIII SE is BALANCED! FAWGHET bout the wa22 I can't afford that schiit! 

http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=871&sid=2d08b7f48cc31761812ef6d957989340

DUAL mono with isoalted amps

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #989 of 4,487
Oops. lol I thought the SE meant single-end. haha.
Still..... wa22 looks nicer.
biggrin.gif

I know but it cost 2x as much... but if u want ugly look at the LD MKVI+ q.q 

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #990 of 4,487
Hey all,
Joined the forum today just to put in my 2 cents about the T90's. I've had Grado's for the last decade or so with some fairly average amps, so I'm by no means a connoisseur of high quality cans, but I can say that matched with the ALO Pan Am tube amp/DAC, they have blown my mind. So yeah, +1 for the T90's from me. Coming from sub-$500 Grado's, the bass is incredible. I found the build quality to be quite good too. I was concerned from the pics I'd seen that they might be a little plastic-y, but they are more metallic feeling than I'd expected.

Anti.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back