Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Feb 24, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #4,472 of 4,487
Today I got my T90 and damn, what a great headphone!
However, I got it secondhand so I'll have to replace the whole headband and all so can someone recommend me which spare parts to get? Will the DT 1770 slider kit work? This one:
https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/slider-repair-kit-1770-1990.html

Or DT770 slider kit? They all have the screws unlike the T5/T90 because it's damn difficult and I don't understand how to dissassembe/assemble the T90 slider parts. Tbh, I couldn't care less because I would like the sliders to be black.

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #4,473 of 4,487
Today I got my T90 and damn, what a great headphone!
However, I got it secondhand so I'll have to replace the whole headband and all so can someone recommend me which spare parts to get? Will the DT 1770 slider kit work? This one:
https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/slider-repair-kit-1770-1990.html

Or DT770 slider kit? They all have the screws unlike the T5/T90 because it's damn difficult and I don't understand how to dissassembe/assemble the T90 slider parts. Tbh, I couldn't care less because I would like the sliders to be black.
I've been trying to find slider kits for both my T90s, no luck.

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #4,474 of 4,487
I've been trying to find slider kits for both my T90s, no luck.
How come? You want the stock T90 sliders? I tried slider from my Tygr and it works too with the black bow.

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #4,475 of 4,487
So far I'm waiting for spare parts to 'fix' my T90. I tried the new fixing rings with the insert and they work too! It makes pad rolling easier.

What caught my interest, were there more color options for the earcups? I see there is option for dark grey and brown colors.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #4,476 of 4,487
Wanted for a long time and bought T70p in new condition, even smell like from the factory. I liked the sound very much, the middle is flatter and more pronounced and not sagging like in T90. The sound is very transparent, clear and detailed. The bass is not too much, but it is not too tight like in T90, but more fast and clear. The ear cushions are softer than in T90, they sit well and comfortably. The isolation is like in normal closed headphones, but the sound is not squeezed and similar to the sound in the open headphones, at that nothing is buzzing and resonates in the cases. Very easy to rock and even portable.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #4,478 of 4,487
My T90 headphones are starting to wear out.
What newer Beyerdynamic headphone is the "replacement" for the T90?

Unfortunately, there is no dedicated or direct replacement / successor of the T90.
Amiron Home is meant to be the successor, but has different signature and therefore in my opinion not really to be considered as the replacement.

I would go for the DT 1990 Pro.
DT 1990 Pro comes with 2 different sets of pads. With the analytical pads it is as close as you can get to the T90 within the newer Beyerdynamic headphones. With the balanced pads it is more like an improved DT990 but with analytical pads it should make you happy as T90 replacement - at least regarding the sound.

May 24, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #4,480 of 4,487
At the moment I have Hifi Man Ananda V2 besides T90 and T70p. Despite the fact that Ananda is more balanced in sound as its bass is more pronounced, of these three I prefer T70p because the sound is more transparent and detailed, and they are as light and comfortable as possible.

I never heard the Ananda myself, but I own T90 and T70p and I love them both.
If I don't need isolation / if I am in a quiet place, I prefer the T90. But if some isolation is needed, the T70p is a great alternative for me and it sounds so nice "open" even it is closed.

May 24, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #4,481 of 4,487
I never heard the Ananda myself, but I own T90 and T70p and I love them both.
If I don't need isolation / if I am in a quiet place, I prefer the T90. But if some isolation is needed, the T70p is a great alternative for me and it sounds so nice "open" even it is closed.
After I bought the T70p, I immediately felt that the midrange frequencies are much better than the T90s, smoother and more transparent. In the T90s the midrange is a bit dull and muffled. Also the T70p is more comfortable on the head. It's amazing and I thought that open earphones always sounded better, but for now I prefer the T70p among these two.

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #4,482 of 4,487
Am I a bit late to the Party? Nevertheless, here's my T90 Journey.

Always been a Beyer man, started with the old 770'250 in 2002. I must have had the DT880 at least 3 times, the last one, the 600 ohm Edition, has been my workhorse and reference for more than a decade. Never liked the Teslas though. There was a P "something" at a meet 2014, and my friend has the T1. Technically fantastic, but way too much detail and no musicality. Reminded my of the HD800 which I very much dislike. Have they all gone crazy?

In late 2022, I stumbled upon a broken T90 in digusting state and one broken driver. It was cheap. Ordered a new system and waited for the postman. It arrived and was in such bad state that I made a complete disassambly and put frame and cups into the dishwasher. Did not help much, most of the dirt turned out to be glue. Put one cup into hot water and ripped the out aluminium ring off to get the grille textile out and thorougly cleaned. Now to the systems. They turned out not to be T90 systems. So I had one new T90 system and some other Tesla driver which measured 237 ohms. Oh no...That was the point when I got really angry with myself, so I put everything into a project box and left it there for one year.
1706305893928.jpeg

Last christmas, I allowed myself to buy the remainder, headband pad, new pads and of course the 2nd driver. Put it together and started listening. It was horrible. There was really insane treble, and something wrong about all of the attack & decay. As if the music was played faster, all sounds were too short. A boooom was 'bom, a zzzzing was reduced to a zink. They have definetely gone crazy...but wait, Beyer recommends using them on their own amps, which infamously have an output impedence of 100 ohms...:thinking:
1706305832796.jpeg

Ended up soldering a step by step adapter from 0 up to 100 ohms. When I got past 50 ohms, things started softening, especially the hot treble and the nutty PRAT. Soon stepped up to (the recommended) 100 ohm value. And then I sat there, just listening, listening, listening. That was the best I have ever heard from a HP. If the HD800 had sounded like that, I would have instantly started putting money aside. And that at a time, when my most expensive HP was 250ish €.
1706306008499.jpeg

The T90 becomes a totally different HP when driven with a 100 ohm adapter. It's lush, fluid and musical, with the nicest mids, well textured and impactful bass, and the highs are there in an enjoyable way. And it is very detailed, I would not have thought that my DT880'600 has missed out so much micro details.

A word to the pads. I have dozens of pads in my tinker inventory, e.g. 880, 770, T1, diverse AKGs, Sonys at AT, and even some DIY stuff or modified china stuff. Forget all that. IMO, the T90 sounds best with the stock pads. Everything else sounds, at best, 80%, so you end up with an okayish sounding headphone. They are not listed any more in the (germany only) online spare parts shop, but you can order them with the Part No. 911348. Examples: EDT 90 (Germany) or EDT 90 (Australia). I have ordered 3 additional pairs, as I intend to get old with that thing.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #4,483 of 4,487
Great read, and very similar to my journey! I had the T90, sold it because I found it too much and then bought it again because I missed the life they pump into the music. To me, it sounds like the T90 has an ‘untamed’ version of the Tesla-driver. Like Beyerdynamic tuned later versions of it to be more friendly, but also sacrificed some of the magic in doing so.

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #4,484 of 4,487
Am I a bit late to the Party? Nevertheless, here's my T90 Journey.

Always been a Beyer man, started with the old 770'250 in 2002. I must have had the DT880 at least 3 times, the last one, the 600 ohm Edition, has been my workhorse and reference for more than a decade. Never liked the Teslas though. There was a P "something" at a meet 2014, and my friend has the T1. Technically fantastic, but way too much detail and no musicality. Reminded my of the HD800 which I very much dislike. Have they all gone crazy?

In late 2022, I stumbled upon a broken T90 in digusting state and one broken driver. It was cheap. Ordered a new system and waited for the postman. It arrived and was in such bad state that I made a complete disassambly and put frame and cups into the dishwasher. Did not help much, most of the dirt turned out to be glue. Put one cup into hot water and ripped the out aluminium ring off to get the grille textile out and thorougly cleaned. Now to the systems. They turned out not to be T90 systems. So I had one new T90 system and some other Tesla driver which measured 237 ohms. Oh no...That was the point when I got really angry with myself, so I put everything into a project box and left it there for one year.
1706305893928.jpeg
Last christmas, I allowed myself to buy the remainder, headband pad, new pads and of course the 2nd driver. Put it together and started listening. It was horrible. There was really insane treble, and something wrong about all of the attack & decay. As if the music was played faster, all sounds were too short. A boooom was 'bom, a zzzzing was reduced to a zink. They have definetely gone crazy...but wait, Beyer recommends using them on their own amps, which infamously have an output impedence of 100 ohms...:thinking:
1706305832796.jpeg
Ended up soldering a step by step adapter from 0 up to 100 ohms. When I got past 50 ohms, things started softening, especially the hot treble and the nutty PRAT. Soon stepped up to (the recommended) 100 ohm value. And then I sat there, just listening, listening, listening. That was the best I have ever heard from a HP. If the HD800 had sounded like that, I would have instantly started putting money aside. And that at a time, when my most expensive HP was 250ish €.
1706306008499.jpeg
The T90 becomes a totally different HP when driven with a 100 ohm adapter. It's lush, fluid and musical, with the nicest mids, well textured and impactful bass, and the highs are there in an enjoyable way. And it is very detailed, I would not have thought that my DT880'600 has missed out so much micro details.

A word to the pads. I have dozens of pads in my tinker inventory, e.g. 880, 770, T1, diverse AKGs, Sonys at AT, and even some DIY stuff or modified china stuff. Forget all that. IMO, the T90 sounds best with the stock pads. Everything else sounds, at best, 80%, so you end up with an okayish sounding headphone. They are not listed any more in the (germany only) online spare parts shop, but you can order them with the Part No. 911348. Examples: EDT 90 (Germany) or EDT 90 (Australia). I have ordered 3 additional pairs, as I intend to get old with that thing.
Good shout, my T90 pads are quite tired and flattened out... been meaning to get another set, pretty sure i just ordered the last 2 pairs in AU :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back