Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Jun 26, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #4,456 of 4,487
How do they t90 compare to the 1st two gens of t1?

I have the T90 and the AK T1p which is based on the second generation T1.
I prefer the T90.
To my ears the T90 sounds more clear and more bright.
The AK T1p is more laid back.
Please keep in mind that I not have the original T1 but the Astell & Kern AK T1p variant.

Dec 27, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #4,457 of 4,487
Hi all! I have been using the T90 for 1 year, mainly paired with the QLS QA-361 player. I really like the sound - the detail of the high frequencies, the stage, the separation and delineation of the instruments. I want to try Ananda v2. Has anyone compared them to each other? Will Ananda like it after T90 and will there be an increase in sound? Has anyone tried to put ear pads from the DT770-990 on the T90, will the sound change much?

Dec 27, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #4,458 of 4,487
I have both the T90 and some non-Stealth Ananda's. The Ananda's mids are much more forward than the T90's. They create larger images than the T90. They have more sub-bass than the T90's but the T90's are punchier and more impactful in the mid-bass than the Ananda's. The Ananda's are extended in the highs but are more forgiving than the T90's. The T90's are a little more transparent than the Ananda's. I enjoy both but the Ananda's have replaced the T90's as my everyday can.

Dec 27, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #4,459 of 4,487
T90s are great for classical music but I have some harsh metal recordings that I can't stand at all because of excessive sibilance. I used AutoEq to tune these to the Harman curve but it resulted in a sound much darker. T90s are not supposed to sound this dark! So I also reversed AutoEq's DT880 profile on it and now they sound like DT880s. Much better, makes T90s almost shouty (and unnecessarily harsh). The good thing about this is that you can turn all EQs off whenever you want. Basically having two headphones.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #4,460 of 4,487
My T90 headphones are starting to wear out.
What newer Beyerdynamic headphone is the "replacement" for the T90?

Jan 19, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #4,463 of 4,487
Can you say how it's different?
Warmer, darker, and bassier being the most notable differences. But it does still have some treble energy but not as much as the T90. It’s been a very long time since I heard the T90 though and a while on the Amiron Home. It’s possible they’re more similar than I remember. Personally loved the Amiron Home but not sure if it will fill in the gap of the T90 for you or not.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #4,464 of 4,487
My T90 headphones are starting to wear out.
What newer Beyerdynamic headphone is the "replacement" for the T90?
How are they wearing out? Are you experiencing electronic issues or are the ear pads and head band showing signs of wear? The pads and band are easily replaceable and by doing so - one could continue to enjoy these fine headphones for years to come. Beyer is even showing replacement drivers on their web site. After-market pads can have an effect on a headphone's sound profile so proceed accordingly. The Amirons, as I remember from an hour long listening session, may have the highs of the T90s but the increased mids and lows offset those highs. While auditioning, they were definitely a contender.

That being said - As a T90 owner for nearly 10 years, I've found a pair of HiFiMan Sundaras to be a good alternative. The highs seem to be there, but like the Amiron, mids and bass help balance the overall sound. Through my system, my take away is that the Sundaras are a touch more revealing than the Amirons, and as always, YMMV...

Jan 21, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #4,465 of 4,487
How are they wearing out? Are you experiencing electronic issues or are the ear pads and head band showing signs of wear? The pads and band are easily replaceable and by doing so - one could continue to enjoy these fine headphones for years to come. Beyer is even showing replacement drivers on their web site. After-market pads can have an effect on a headphone's sound profile so proceed accordingly. The Amirons, as I remember from an hour long listening session, may have the highs of the T90s but the increased mids and lows offset those highs. While auditioning, they were definitely a contender.

That being said - As a T90 owner for nearly 10 years, I've found a pair of HiFiMan Sundaras to be a good alternative. The highs seem to be there, but like the Amiron, mids and bass help balance the overall sound. Through my system, my take away is that the Sundaras are a touch more revealing than the Amirons, and as always, YMMV...
The sliders on my T90 are wearing out and have not found replacement parts.

Jan 22, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #4,467 of 4,487
What about DT1990? I assume it's the closest thing to T90 right now based on other's impressions.
I always assumed the DT1990 is more like a really improved DT990, strong bass/treble, but really guessing.

Jan 25, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #4,470 of 4,487
Tell me, is it worth taking the T70 as a closed alternative to the T90? Is the T70 much worse? They say they have weak bass.
I own the T90 and t70 and like them both, I normally only use the T70 when I need to block noise.
The Soundmagic HP151 closed headphones, if your into bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back