Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Oct 5, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #3,812 of 4,487
  I also prefer the T 90 in just about every way over the HD 800 and HD 800S.

Especially in the bass.  IMO, the T 90 makes the HD 800 sound anemic by comparison.
redface.gif

As a devil's advocate, I have to jump in for the HD800 (haven't heard the 800s so far) but the T90, as much as I like it, overdoes highs a bit. Try to listen to Miles Davis' Round About Midnight. On this record, Davis often uses a trumpet muffler. This renders the sound of the trumpet sometimes piercing. This is trying for any headphone but the darkest sounding (maybe Audioquest's Nighthawk would be perfect). Listening to the first track 'Round Midnight' is just about unbearable with the T90. There are many examples where the T90 is overly bright. And yet, it really is a remarkable headphone I wouldn't want to miss in my collection.

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #3,813 of 4,487
I almost came close to selling the T90 until I did the mod which tamed the treble. It is a ridiculously bright HP that is not necessarily suited for brightly mastered songs. You either should mod it, EQ it, or be careful about what music you play.

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #3,814 of 4,487
I almost came close to selling the T90 until I did the mod which tamed the treble. It is a ridiculously bright HP that is not necessarily suited for brightly mastered songs. You either should mod it, EQ it, or be careful about what music you play.

I am sorry if I missed something here, but what T90 mod could be done?

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #3,815 of 4,487
I posted about it a page or so back. I put small strips of dynamat inside the cups (behind the driver). It tamed the treble to a large extent, refined/boosted the bass to a pleasing degree, and added detail. The amount and position of the dynamat should be experimented with though by the wearer to suit their preference. I went through about 6 or 7 variations until I settled on a sound I liked. They are way better to me now.

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #3,817 of 4,487
What output resistance has the Valhalla 2? On my old hifi amps I seldom have problems with sibilants.
I am curious how the comparison to those amps(middle class hifi) and a Headphone amp (example Beyer A 20, Meier Corda Jazz, Schiit, Lake People) would be turn out.  

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #3,818 of 4,487
I had the Valhalla 2 for a few weeks before selling it, paired with the T90. It was a fantastic combo if you're into tubes but I'm not into tubes it turns out. Don't remember many problems with sibilance.

Oct 6, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #3,819 of 4,487
  What output resistance has the Valhalla 2? On my old hifi amps I seldom have problems with sibilants.
I am curious how the comparison to those amps(middle class hifi) and a Headphone amp (example Beyer A 20, Meier Corda Jazz, Schiit, Lake People) would be turn out.  

From Schiit web site "Specs":

Output Impedance:  14 ohms (hi gain), 3.5 ohms (lo gain)

I use Hi Gain with the T90.

I pair the T90 with Valhalla 2, tube rolling changes the response, I am on a mission to find the best synergy tube for this amp and the T90, within my imposed tube budget.  Found some tubes to push the limits of my treble preference and some that go too far losing details.

These are working for me:

PCC88 SEL Lorenz - Falcon Logo - NOS 1969? - 7v
6N1P-EV Anode - 1978
396A Western Electric - NOS
ECC88 Mullard - Blackburn - White Logo
5670W Jan GE - NOS

I still have more to audition, so many tubes so little time as @ rnros likes to say :wink:

Also, I am currently using this output tube:
6N6P Novosibirsk - Gold Grid & Pin - NOS 1978

JMTC & YMMV,
r2

PS I use vintage amps, T90 works well with many, and especially with my serviced Pioneer SA 9800 via headphone out.

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #3,820 of 4,487
Oct 16, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #3,823 of 4,487
Ok, I've had my T90 Chrome's for about a month now and I figured I would give an opinion on them. First off, I'll say that I've been an audiophile for quite some time, but up until a few years ago, I looked down on phones, my loss. Originally I thought I would only use a headphone system until I was able to climb the audiophile mountain again, these T90's have changed that. I don't have as much experience with different amps and cans as some of y'all, so my comparisons will be limited. 

I've been using a pair of DT990 Pro's for about a year and half now, before that I used a pair of AD700's as my main can. My sources are a Rega Apollo cdp and a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC table. I have Dragonfly V1.2 and an original Valhalla as my HA's. I've had my eye on these T90's for a while now, they looked like a natural upgrade from the 990's, when I saw them on Amazon for $350, I decided to pull the trigger. These Chrome's appear to be the Jubilee without the bonus CD, but still a heckuva bargain at this price IMO.

I decided to start breaking these in by casual listening of iTunes on my laptop through the Dragonfly. I was struck by the transparency and the immediacy of these cans. The treble was very present but it calmed down a bit around 25 hour mark and the bass emerged also. I couldn't really compare them critically with the 990's at this point because the 990's don't mesh at all with the Dragonfly. I will say that with well recorded music there is an open and dynamic sound and a delicacy that I've never heard with the 990's. These T90's are very fast and the sound reminds me of high quality speakers, which shocked me at first. They are ruthless with bad recordings though and it was easy to become disinterested with the thin sound.

In my main system, the sound was thickened up in good way, making the images more rounded. It also increased the drive and dynamics, more weight and authority. It is still treble forward but the highs aren't etchy all. In comparison, the 990's sound more closed off in the mids, they have more bass but it's less defined. I've never had a problem with the 990's highs like some but they aren't as refined as the T90's. The 990's aren't nearly as transparent as the T90's and I find the images to be larger and better defined on the T90's. I think the stage is a little wider on the 990's but it is deeper on the T90's.

I just find the T90 to be a more resolving can than the 990 Pro's and much quicker, better able to capture what some audiophiles call microdynamics, small dynamic range changes which help make the sound more to realistic to me. I do think the 990 Pro's are still a great deal though since they can be had so cheap. The one negative on the T90's is that they awoke the upgrade monster in me and I've ordered an Icon HP8 Mk2, it should be here soon. I've also started looking at next level cans.

TLDR - I really like the T90's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back