Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
May 30, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #3,706 of 4,487
You will lost many details for sure with vali 2! Pick walhalla 2 instead and you even gain details, soundstage, little bit of warmth and spacious sound.

Loss of a lot detail for sure?! You are talking about an amp you don't even own, neither of them actually (Vali 2 nor Valhalla 2). I compared The Vali 2 to even Beyerdynamic's own solid state amp A20 at the HiFi store I bought the T90's from, and guarantee you, there is no perceptible loss of detail with the Vali 2. In the sub-200$ range the Vali 2 is very very hard to beat. Supposedly the best match for the T90's would be the bottlehead crack, haven't heard that combo myself yet though, and I am not too fond of picking up soldering especially not for something as important as my headphone amp ...

May 31, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #3,708 of 4,487
It seems a lot of folks like the entry level Audio GD stuff regardless of what has been said here earlier.

The Gustard H10 works well with my T90.  It is a powerful and slightly warm solid state amp.

May 31, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #3,709 of 4,487
It seems a lot of folks like the Beats headphones regardless regardless of how much they get bashed here and elsewhere around the web.

Those NFB11/12/15 variants can't drive T90 well.
H10 is probably a great option.

May 31, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #3,710 of 4,487
Doing some reading around, I've heard the Vali 2 bests alot of amps in the $1K and under range.  Schiit does seem to price their gear alot lower than it's worth in the audiophile world.  
Believe that you WANT to believe. Vali is nowhere near as good as 1k amps. Walhalla 2 are over 400$ and is noticable step up from vali when i heard it. I don't like tube amps, because of "over the top lushness and lack of details" , but i really liked Walhalla 2:) It wasnt holding my friend's Beyer T1 details or soundstage, imaging and depth. All this while still being smooth enough. T90 are almost as capable as T1 and so it need adequate amp. In my opinion atleast mid end amps like Crack, Walhalla 2 or beyerdynamic A20 is more optimal variant than low end vali... Yes it will sound good with vali, but not optimal.

May 31, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #3,711 of 4,487
Loss of a lot detail for sure?! You are talking about an amp you don't even own, neither of them actually (Vali 2 nor Valhalla 2). I compared The Vali 2 to even Beyerdynamic's own solid state amp A20 at the HiFi store I bought the T90's from, and guarantee you, there is no perceptible loss of detail with the Vali 2. In the sub-200$ range the Vali 2 is very very hard to beat. Supposedly the best match for the T90's would be the bottlehead crack, haven't heard that combo myself yet though, and I am not too fond of picking up soldering especially not for something as important as my headphone amp ...
So... You're sayin that everytime i will hear something, i need to buy it?:D Ofcourse you will not hear much of a difference if you listened amp for short amount of time, i personaly wasn't hearing much of a difference between my A20 when i bought it and Fiio e12. After more and more hours, the difference was more and more obvious.

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #3,714 of 4,487

Love this setup

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #3,715 of 4,487
Hi beyer folks,
let me start by saying that I have never heard any of the Beyer phones. If you take a look at my profile I have listed all the cans I have experience with. 

I am considering buying a t90 but am a bit hesitant because of the treble I have seen in the fr graphs. I have read that many say the treble is not as harsh as they expected, but most of them listen to classical jazz and instrumental. Sooo first question - is what genres of music do not play well with the t90?

Another worry is that amping will  be very hard with these. The innerfidelity charts show the impedance shooting up to +700ohms at ~125hz.  All the cans I have owned are under 100ohms. I read that some say these are actually easy to power, others say you need tons of juice. My second question - how much power will these require.(fiio e17 or something closer to darkvoice)

I have read through tons of posts and am at a point of information overload, that is why I am asking this, hope it does not seem too redundant.

Any insight from T90 owners would be awesome!

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #3,716 of 4,487

I am considering buying a t90 but am a bit hesitant because of the treble I have seen in the fr graphs. I have read that many say the treble is not as harsh as they expected, but most of them listen to classical jazz and instrumental. Sooo first question - is what genres of music do not play well with the t90?

Another worry is that amping will  be very hard with these. The innerfidelity charts show the impedance shooting up to +700ohms at ~125hz.  All the cans I have owned are under 100ohms. I read that some say these are actually easy to power, others say you need tons of juice. My second question - how much power will these require.(fiio e17 or something closer to darkvoice)

I got the T 90's back in November from Massdrop. I had the same concerns, particularly about the potentially harsh high end.  (I listen to mostly rock, lots of progressive and metal, so very guitar-heavy stuff). Yes, at first, the highs are aggressive (I didn't really find much sibilance though). After about 150-200 hours of burn-in the highs calmed down.

I'm using a JDS C5 amp; it's solid-state but seems to do a nice job with the low end. I find the T 90s not particularly hard to drive with the C5.

Overall these are easily my favorite phones; "revealing" is truly the best way to describe them...the detail is quite amazing. I think you'll be fine with the highs and the signature overall, providing you give them some time to burn-in and find the right amp.

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #3,717 of 4,487
Hi beyer folks,
let me start by saying that I have never heard any of the Beyer phones. If you take a look at my profile I have listed all the cans I have experience with. 

I have read through tons of posts and am at a point of information overload, that is why I am asking this, hope it does not seem too redundant.

First off the T90 is probably one of the best HPs you can get at this price range (got mine for $320 used). It is as good or better than many cans at double the price.

There are several things that I've found you can do to eliminate or greatly reduce the treble peak. When I got a better power cable for my DAC the treble got a lot smoother and more tolerable. When I added some ERS paper under my laptop and little bits inside my DAC the treble peak became much more bareable and almost totally eliminated. I also found getting better RCA interconnects greatly helped (I use Morrow cables MA1...probably the best cable you can get for under $100)

I find harsh treble is usually the result of noise... EMI/RFI noise, dirty power, substandard cables and things like that. A frequency peak is not necessarily a bad thing, as harshness is caused by unfavorable resonances. Getting better power cables and using ERS paper greatly reduces and often eliminates these issues...this is what I have found from lots of time spent experimenting with my chain.

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #3,718 of 4,487
Pulled the trigger on a t90 jubilee. Have always wanted to listen to a set of beyers and the price was right. I cant wait to see what the beyer sound is like 
gs1000.gif
 been a while since I had an open setup

Now I will have to start looking into source and power setups. Thanks for the info Colt and Mitch, never realized that cables could cause harshness. Guess I got a lot to learn, let the fun begin

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #3,719 of 4,487
Pulled the trigger on a t90 jubilee. Have always wanted to listen to a set of beyers and the price was right. I cant wait to see what the beyer sound is like :gs1000smile:  been a while since I had an open setup

Now I will have to start looking into source and power setups. Thanks for the info Colt and Mitch, never realized that cables could cause harshness. Guess I got a lot to learn, let the fun begin

Wonderful choice!

As far as DAC/amp choices I have a Schiit Bifrost 4490 which I got around $300 here on the classifieds at head fi and it is better than DACs at double the price. I highly recommend Schiit gear because Jason and Mike are great guys who are active on the forums, they design gear that competes and often bests other gear that is much more expensive and their DACs are upgradeable if you want better performance in the future. And their gear have the coolest names!

My Denon receiver has an anazing HP out so there was no need for me to to get one of their amps right now but I will probably spring for a Valhalla 2 and eventually Ragnarok when I get the money.

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #3,720 of 4,487
Yup the schiit gear is awesome! I am going to see how the t90 sounds out of my onkyo receiver, it is a little bit dark sounding so hopefully it will do for a while. At least till my wallet recovers lol. I got out the headfi game for about a year after selling everything but my zik and k550, been back for a few months and I went a little crazy(th-x00, he-350, re-00 all arriving around august)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back