Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Apr 21, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #3,646 of 4,487
  With the T90's new lower MAP price of $549, you should not expect it to battle with the awesome HD800S. The fact that it comes close enough to debate it at all is a testament to how good the T90 is. (And I am impartial, as a dealer for both Beyer and Sennheiser. Love 'em both!)

I second this!

When you get the chance - use the T90 (which I own) on a ifi Pro iCan (review unit)  - I did and compared them to the HD800S (review unit) and as much as I wanted to feel the "need" to purchase the HD800S I found it's not a big enough step up for the music I am listening to. Also my LCD-2F/HE-560 sounded so bloody good on that amp that I decided I don't need to get the Edition X. So funny enough - that amp saved me from splashing out money for better headphones - as I haven't yet fully exploited and explored my current ones to their full extend. 

Next is a comparison between Liquid Carbon (own it) with Pro iCan.... should be interesting. 

Apr 21, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #3,647 of 4,487

With the T90's new lower MAP price of $549, you should not expect it to battle with the awesome HD800S. The fact that it comes close enough to debate it at all is a testament to how good the T90 is. (And I am impartial, as a dealer for both Beyer and Sennheiser. Love 'em both!)

I second this!

When you get the chance - use the T90 (which I own) on a ifi Pro iCan (review unit)  - I did and compared them to the HD800S (review unit) and as much as I wanted to feel the "need" to purchase the HD800S I found it's not a big enough step up for the music I am listening to. Also my LCD-2F/HE-560 sounded so bloody good on that amp that I decided I don't need to get the Edition X. So funny enough - that amp saved me from splashing out money for better headphones - as I haven't yet fully exploited and explored my current ones to their full extend. 

Next is a comparison between Liquid Carbon (own it) with Pro iCan.... should be interesting. 

get your hands on a Liquid Gold and let us know how good the carbon and iCan Pro are :)

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #3,648 of 4,487
get your hands on a Liquid Gold and let us know how good the carbon and iCan Pro are :)

Touché - I only have access to a friends Liquid Glass - shall try that :)

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #3,649 of 4,487
hi 
Happy owner of these heaphones recently and there is no comparison with my little Focal spirit one.
Even happier because i got these at 150 euros
dt880smile.png

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #3,651 of 4,487
hi 
Happy owner of these heaphones recently and there is no comparison with my little Focal spirit one.
Even happier because i got these at 150 euros:dt880smile:

Whaaaaaaaaat? Deal of the century! Enjoy!!!

I today had the T90 on the Pro iCan from ifi and what a glorious combo that is. Endgame set up. It sounded so good, I forgot I had a HD800S to listen to as well. (All except T90 loaners)....

May 4, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #3,652 of 4,487
Just bought these from fellow head-fi'er Allanmarcus.

I wanted more detail in my music... the HD600, while wonderful cans, just don't give me all the resolution I want.  I recently upgraded to a much better DAC and cables, so the limitations of the HD600 are starting to appear.

I demo'd the HD800 and was very impressed, but it's pricey (overpriced IMO).  Thought about the T1, but the T90 seems to be very close to it, for a couple hundred less... so it was a no brainer.

May 4, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #3,653 of 4,487
  Just bought these from fellow head-fi'er Allanmarcus.

I wanted more detail in my music... the HD600, while wonderful cans, just don't give me all the resolution I want.  I recently upgraded to a much better DAC and cables, so the limitations of the HD600 are starting to appear.

I demo'd the HD800 and was very impressed, but it's pricey (overpriced IMO).  Thought about the T1, but the T90 seems to be very close to it, for a couple hundred less... so it was a no brainer.

How do you like the sound?

May 4, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #3,655 of 4,487
So I am hearing these pair extremely well with the Bottlehead Crack.  Anyone have any experience with this combo?

I am thinking of getting it to supplement my solid state Denon receiver (which has an amazing headphone out, tons of power, dynamics, very beefy sound).  I am not used to tube amps though.  

May 5, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #3,656 of 4,487
There are few headphones that pair well with a crack, and the T90 is one of them. The right tubes can make a difference, but a good SS amp can sound just as satisfying. Unless money is just burning a hole in your pocket, get the headphone first and enjoy them for a while, then start to upgrade. Unless you plan on being a DIYer, I don't recommend the crack. There are other tube amps, like those from Schist and Aune and others that might serve the non-DIYer better.

May 9, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #3,658 of 4,487
So the T90 arrived a little while ago.  I bought them used, so they're fully broken in,  

It's important to note my impressions are directly coming from having an HD600 and listening to it everyday, so being VERY used to that sound signature.  You can see what equipment I use in my sig.

It was weird at first.  The T90 sounded very V-shaped with almost scooped mids.  Again, this is in comparison to the HD600, which has the best mids probably of any headphone, so I was very spoiled.  And the 600 does not have very prominent highs, so the highs of the T90 were extremely startling to me, and my initial reaction was fairly negative.  Again, I'm not used to having treble happy cans... and I am not bothered by the intensity, there is no harshness I can hear.  My Denon receiver does a good job in taming them.  But the highs are very intense, and almost unnatural sounding compared to the HD600.  

The T90 has more bass, but I wouldn't call it better.  It seems slightly more boomy than the 600, which has lean but accurate bass.  The T90 is a little more bass happy, something I'm also not used to.  So it was startling.  

Soundstage was surprisingly not much bigger than the HD600, which is kind of a disappointment, since I listen to alot of classical.  As I listen more, I am getting used to the sound signature... my impressions are getting less negative and more positive.  It is extremely detailed and imagining is very good.  I don't think it's leaps and bounds better than the 600 though, as those got quite the boost with better equipment in my chain.  It is definitely a better headphone on a technical level, but the HD600 mids are incredible and hard to forget.

The treble on the T90 I feel fares much better when I apply some EQ to the upper frequencies.  It sounds more natural now.  I don't think these are super bright headphones really, just very treble happy.

Originally my goal was to get the HD800, but even used first gen versions are ridiculously overpriced.  I do love the Sennheiser sound signature and wanted the detail/soundstage/imaging boost of the HD800.  I auditioned them once and was blown away, had to have them.  In the end I may even up selling both my HD600 and T90 for an HD800.  Not sure.  For now I am definitely warming up to the T90... with the EQ it's starting to sound fantastic.

UPDATE 1:  Funny, it seems my Diamondback RCAs were what was making the sound V-shaped and scooped mids... when I switched to my old stock RCAs the problem went away and the sound was alot more balanced (but became slightly thinner as a trade off)

May 9, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #3,659 of 4,487
  So the T90 arrived a little while ago.  I bought them used, so they're fully broken in,  

It's important to note my impressions are directly coming from having an HD600 and listening to it everyday, so being VERY used to that sound signature.  You can see what equipment I use in my sig.

It was weird at first.  The T90 sounded very V-shaped with almost scooped mids.  Again, this is in comparison to the HD600, which has the best mids probably of any headphone, so I was very spoiled.  And the 600 does not have very prominent highs, so the highs of the T90 were extremely startling to me, and my initial reaction was fairly negative.  Again, I'm not used to having treble happy cans... and I am not bothered by the intensity, there is no harshness I can hear.  My Denon receiver does a good job in taming them.  But the highs are very intense, and almost unnatural sounding compared to the HD600.  

The T90 has more bass, but I wouldn't call it better.  It seems slightly more boomy than the 600, which has lean but accurate bass.  The T90 is a little more bass happy, something I'm also not used to.  So it was startling.  

Soundstage was surprisingly not much bigger than the HD600, which is kind of a disappointment, since I listen to alot of classical.  As I listen more, I am getting used to the sound signature... my impressions are getting less negative and more positive.  It is extremely detailed and imagining is very good.  I don't think it's leaps and bounds better than the 600 though, as those got quite the boost with better equipment in my chain.  It is definitely a better headphone on a technical level, but the HD600 mids are incredible and hard to forget.

The treble on the T90 I feel fares much better when I apply some EQ to the upper frequencies.  It sounds more natural now.  I don't think these are super bright headphones really, just very treble happy.

Originally my goal was to get the HD800, but even used first gen versions are ridiculously overpriced.  I do love the Sennheiser sound signature and wanted the detail/soundstage/imaging boost of the HD800.  I auditioned them once and was blown away, had to have them.  In the end I may even up selling both my HD600 and T90 for an HD800.  Not sure.  For now I am definitely warming up to the T90... with the EQ it's starting to sound fantastic.

UPDATE 1:  Funny, it seems my Diamondback RCAs were what was making the sound V-shaped and scooped mids... when I switched to my old stock RCAs the problem went away and the sound was alot more balanced (but became slightly thinner as a trade off)

I went from the HD600 to the T90. to make a long story short, I barely used the HD600's after awhile with the T90, so much so I am trying to trade the hD600 plus the T90 for a T1

May 9, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #3,660 of 4,487
Initially I was pretty disappointed... the sound was congested and v-shaped, and the mids recessed.  I didn't understand the fuss.

Once I swapped out my Diamondback RCAs for the old stock ones I was FLOORED.  It now sounds amazing.  Apparently the Diamondbacks were congesting the sound somewhat (even though there was more highs and more bass, I guess overemphasizing a v-shape).  

At this point I don't even wanna look at my HD600.  Listening to Brahms symphonies with the T90 is astounding.  When I switched back to the HD600, they don't hold a candle to the T90.  Blows it out of the water.  if anyone's interested in a HD600:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/807048/sennheiser-hd600-with-600-650-cables

Users who are viewing this thread

Back