Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Oct 17, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #3,331 of 4,487
Thanks for your help all. Another question if I may... I've got the chance to get the Beyer T90 at a good price. I use my iMac 27 (late 2012) as the source. Currently my Grado's sound great straight out of the headphone port. From what i've read, the Beyer T90's seem to be picky and need a warm amp?? I live in the UK and can't get some of the recommendations listed her such as Schiit and the Crack Tube amp. Can anyone tell me how the T90's sound straight out of an iMac and also whether can recommend a good dac or dac/amp or amp that would improve sound for less than £200? Thank you. 
Anyone?

Oct 17, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #3,332 of 4,487
The T90 sounds great on my older laptop Lenovo T500 using the bigger version, Geek Out 720.

Here is the 450 version at Amazon, which one should not have a problem with the T90

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Geek-Out-Headphone-Amplifier-Silver/dp/B00JD0CQ6E/ref=lp_4926549031_1_1?srs=4926549031&ie=UTF8&qid=1445120791&sr=8-1

There is also a newer version of the Geek Out.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/763077/lh-labs-geek-out-v2-discussion-thread

Oct 17, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #3,333 of 4,487
What about a Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang?

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #3,334 of 4,487
  Thanks for your help all. Another question if I may... I've got the chance to get the Beyer T90 at a good price. I use my iMac 27 (late 2012) as the source. Currently my Grado's sound great straight out of the headphone port. From what i've read, the Beyer T90's seem to be picky and need a warm amp?? I live in the UK and can't get some of the recommendations listed her such as Schiit and the Crack Tube amp. Can anyone tell me how the T90's sound straight out of an iMac and also whether can recommend a good dac or dac/amp or amp that would improve sound for less than £200? Thank you. 

you can try the ifi micro or nano, they are good pair with t90

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #3,335 of 4,487

You might want to give people more than 5 hours to answer. Some people only check here daily, or less.

The t90 is 250ohm, if I recall correctly. If you want to power that puppy to higher volumes, an amp is recommended. At under 200, any decent amp will do, such as the magni or vali or aune models, or many others. Just make sure the maker recommends the amp for 250ohm headphones.

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #3,336 of 4,487
I had the Grado 325is for a year or so and they are indeed articulate and bright, but after lots of other listening to...other cans I have sold all my cans and
have kept the T90's..they IMO are as accurate or more so, just the tone is as some have described as lucious, musical and to me a bit warm....works well 
with most music I listen to.....

The only cans I would like to try are the 2nd gen T1's.

Alex

IMHO the T90 and the T1g2 have quite different sound signatures. The T90 is brighter and the ne T1 is warmer. If you like that bright clear beyer sound, and I do, the new T1 might be a disappointment.
The 325 is considered the harshest of the grado line, I think. I have the 225 and got the Rs2 since the Rs line is a bit mellower then the 225. Try an Rs2 or an RS1i (not e for the RS1) and compare it to the new T1 and the T90 and see what you think.

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #3,337 of 4,487
You might want to give people more than 5 hours to answer. Some people only check here daily, or less.

The t90 is 250ohm, if I recall correctly. If you want to power that puppy to higher volumes, an amp is recommended. At under 200, any decent amp will do, such as the magni or vali or aune models, or many others. Just make sure the maker recommends the amp for 250ohm headphones.
Thanks.

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #3,339 of 4,487
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'd still be interested to hear whether anyone is using the T90,s straight from the headphone port of an iMac and whether you think they sound good.

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #3,342 of 4,487
Agreed. O2 works really nice with many different headphones, including the T90.
Not really available in the UK unfortunately. So many options not available here. However, I've decided on the ifi idsd dac/amp that has some really great reviews and a really flexible product. Suggested in reply to my question earlier. I don't want to be disuaded from this now otherwise I'll be chasing shadows and down the rabbit hole again! Researching audio is a nightmare. One thread leads to another and then another and so it goes. And I'm a terrible decision maker! :grin::grin::grinning:

Oct 18, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #3,343 of 4,487
Not really available in the UK unfortunately. So many options not available here. However, I've decided on the ifi idsd dac/amp that has some really great reviews and a really flexible product. Suggested in reply to my question earlier. I don't want to be disuaded from this now otherwise I'll be chasing shadows and down the rabbit hole again! Researching audio is a nightmare. One thread leads to another and then another and so it goes. And I'm a terrible decision maker! :grin::grin::grinning:

O2 is available in UK. See here:

http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/headphone-amplifiers/ehp-o2-portable-headphone-amplifier/

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #3,344 of 4,487
Hello everyone. Just recently I've been following headfi quite alot and I think I may have caught the audiophile bug. I am thinking of purchasing the T90's as my first venture into higher end headphones currently have a Sony MDRZX110 so i'm sure the jump will be quite drastic. What I want to know about the T90s is what the bass is like? I have read around and while not "basshead" level headphones they are tight and controlled, though I can't tell you I know what that means.

Music Tastes:I generally listen to EDM/Orchestral movie scores/Rock
Source: FLAC files played through Desktop built in DAC (It's a new desktop and I hear DAC's dont make as much a difference as the amp and headphones)
Amps: I'm sure an amp will be required and was considering between the Schiit Vali, Valhalla 1(might get a good deal on it), and Little Dot MK2. How do these pair with the              T90? Any others for about $US250?

I understand that the teble is quite present in these headphones so a complimentary amp to smooth that out would be fantastic together with something that can bring out the bass (I don't consider myself a basshead). I eventually plan to get an OTL Bottlehead Crack with Speedball upgrade. Any replies would be much appreciated.

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #3,345 of 4,487
I've read your post on schiit thread too. This is my reasoning: 
Option to roll tubes is a great "safety net". I would skip Vali and Valhalla 1 for that reason alone.
If i were you i would save money and go straight for Bottlehead Crack (and then add speedball upgrade down the line) or if you are set on schiit products Valhalla 2 (which i own and highly recommend 
beyersmile.png
  )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back