Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Jun 21, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #3,046 of 4,487
  You might have hit the nail right on the head. One of the most noticeable changes from the sound was the hot treble. It was really absent from my T90s when I plugged them into the Modi 2 Uber something that never happened when I plugged it to my laptop. The T90s tend to be the type of headphone that benefit greatly in terms of detail when that treble is there, cutting that out tends to make them a bit less detailed. It makes sense why my initial impressions of the T90s were quite off from what everyone else was experiencing. Helps to have multiple sources, I would have sold a really nice headphone without knowing the fault was on my side with the amp I had around. Now I'll just have to find an amp that has a nice Synergy with the T90s. Hoping the next headphone meet we'll have in my city is soon so I can compare them being run out of different setups. May I ask which amp or amps you use with them? 

I'm going to be getting a pair of T90's soon. 

I'll be testing them out with the Gustard X12 DAC and H10 amp, as well as with the Audiolab M-DAC. I expect the H10 to have the best synergy with the T90's due to its slightly warmer, smoother nature. The H10 also has excellent synergy with the DT880's - it brings them to a level of quality similar to the LCD-2's imo.

The M-DAC should provide a more neutral/accurate presentation, letting the details in the high end come through more.

We'll see how it goes, though. I'll report back soon 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #3,047 of 4,487
  May I ask which amp or amps you use with them? 

I use my T90 and T1 primarily with my Beyerdynamic A2 set to 100Ohm output impedance. I've heard the T90 on the A20 as well and did find it a very good combination, but the A20 does not pair too well with some low-impedance headphones (personally I did not like it driving a TH900 for example).

In my experience Violectric amps (V200, V281) pair very well with the T90 and the T1 as well. Another nice option is the Fostex HP-V1, which has a slightly warm touch to it and gives a quite relaxed presentation. Meier Audio Corda Classic is another amp that comes to my mind, I've used it a lot with my T1 and think it would match the T90 as well.

Jun 21, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #3,048 of 4,487

I use my T90 and T1 primarily with my Beyerdynamic A2 set to 100Ohm output impedance. I've heard the T90 on the A20 as well and did find it a very good combination, but the A20 does not pair too well with some low-impedance headphones (personally I did not like it driving a TH900 for example).

In my experience Violectric amps (V200, V281) pair very well with the T90 and the T1 as well. Another nice option is the Fostex HP-V1, which has a slightly warm touch to it and gives a quite relaxed presentation. Meier Audio Corda Classic is another amp that comes to my mind, I've used it a lot with my T1 and think it would match the T90 as well.

Try pairing the Beyerdynamic T1 or T90 with Lehmann audio Black Cube Linear, it is a very good amplifier as it is very neutral. It prevents the T90 headphones for getting too bright. It is a very fast and quiet amplifier, there is absolutely no noise floor and a pitch black background. Give it a try if anyone here wants to buy a decent headphone amplifier.

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #3,049 of 4,487
Hi,

I recently had Beyerdynamic to replace the 1/4" plug with a 4-pin Neutrik XLR plug and also build me a adapter cable (XLR / single ended). The change really helped me with the Oppo HA-1, since the XLR out has so much more juice than the single-ended out, however since I received and built the Bottlehead Crack, I barely use the T1 and T90 on any other amp than this tube box.

It's a really good and inexpensive match, however you've to built it yourself. However I really enjoyed building it and it's open for modifications.

My most recent purchase is the Pioneer U-05-S, which also works really well with the T1 (didn't try the T90 yet).

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #3,050 of 4,487
Hello,
How would you describe the sound comparison for T90 to Philips Fidelio X2? Struggling which one I should choose. Listening mostly to acoustic jazz, classics and time to time old rock and blues. Currently I have Grado SR325is and looking for something substantially better. What do you think? Thanks for your suggestions.

Jun 25, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #3,051 of 4,487
  Hello,
How would you describe the sound comparison for T90 to Philips Fidelio X2? Struggling which one I should choose. Listening mostly to acoustic jazz, classics and time to time old rock and blues. Currently I have Grado SR325is and looking for something substantially better. What do you think? Thanks for your suggestions.

Letting you know... I sold my T90s and went back to a pair of X2's. The T90's are good, but they are really bright and i like bright headphones lol. Ear fatigue set in really quickly with my old T90's, but with the X2 i can listen to them all day. They just sound really frecking good! Plus the soundstage trumps the T90. 

Id recommend the X2 as an allrounder.. The T90's did well with intimate darker music, blues/rock and really well with Hip Hop and Electronic.

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #3,052 of 4,487
 I sold my because the were fatiguing just way too bright. I am not sure who is voicing headphones at Beyerdynamic but the must have a hearing problem. I bought the Sennheiser HD-700s and I am very happy because I like bright headphones but not that much. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #3,054 of 4,487
They do have a good sound stage and on non-bright recording they are good. The thing is I used them with my Schitt Gunguir which is bright sounding. Now that I have the Meridian Explorer2 it should sound better. I wish I didn't sell them. 

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #3,055 of 4,487
i was joking ofc :) its just that there seems to be too much drama about "bright" headphones like T90 , hd700, he4, etc.  and people seem quick to disregard them.

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #3,056 of 4,487
i was joking ofc :) its just that there seems to be too much drama about "bright" headphones like T90 , hd700, he4, etc.  and people seem quick to disregard them.

Indeed, often too early. I heard a lot of bright things about Grado 325is before I bought them, but they sound just detail and open, not bright to me. Now thinking about T90 as replacement or additional cans to be paired with Beresford Caiman II.

Jun 27, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #3,057 of 4,487
Yeh i found the t90 to be a decent grado alternative, the top end is very grado like with great detail and clarity but unlike grados they have more weight and emphasis down low. Comfort is also much better, i can almost forget i have them on which i couldnt say about most grados. They are very amp dependant i find, the wrong amp can be fatal.

Jun 28, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #3,059 of 4,487
Beyerdyamic T90 headphones are not bright when paired with the right amplifier and dac. I believe many users are complaining about the T90 bright sound signature as they are using a bright solid state amplifier or are not using a proper high end source. Try upgrading your headphone system and you will find the T90 headphones to be alright. 

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #3,060 of 4,487
I had the Grade 325is and liked them a lot.... over time I got the T90's and sold the Grado's.... The T90's are very musical to me...... and very very comfortable to me vs the Grado's.

If the Grado's were more comfortable I would have kept them.

Also sold LCD2's and many others, the T90s are really pretty good for most music.

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back