Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Jun 16, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #3,031 of 4,487
  Well since it improved them a little - you could try giving the foam material a really good vacuum/clean before sending them back. Often it's little hairs that work there way through the foam to the driver. The fact that it helped a little seems a hopeful sign.

Good luck

Won't getting a vacuum near the driver would destroy your headphones?

I wouldn't suggest that method.

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #3,032 of 4,487

I talked to my reseller today and they were very flexible, they gave me a full refund and I'll just have to send them back. Not sure what to do next tho, i truly loved theese headphones and everything about them but I don't know if I want to buy a third pair. If i do buy a third pair I'm going with a different reseller, mostly becuase they are cheeper there. What do you guys think? Is it a batch-error? Should i just go for another pair? I ordered a O2+Odac combo before this happend and they should arrive in a few days. I emailed beyerdynamic and talked to a guy, he told me that they never had encountered this problem, i asked him if my amp could be responsible for this but he didn't think it was possible. 

But for other headphones, a friend of mine recommended Philips Fidelio X2 so i might just buy those. But right now i still want the T90's.

First world problems, am i right?

Fair warning - the T90s and X2s are pretty much polar opposites in terms of sound signature. They could really compliment each other for using for different styles of music, but do NOT expect the X2 to sound anything like the T90.

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #3,033 of 4,487

Fair warning - the T90s and X2s are pretty much polar opposites in terms of sound signature. They could really compliment each other for using for different styles of music, but do NOT expect the X2 to sound anything like the T90.

I see, could you elaborate on that? Like an example. I owned a pair of ATH M50s before the T90's and i found the T90's way more clear and alot more depth. 

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #3,034 of 4,487
Agreed - I was referring to an earlier post where I did highlight the need to have the vacuum on a very low setting etc.

Anyway - hope you get it sorted.

My vote would be to buy another set of T90s - I think they are wonderful if the sound signature suits you.

Jun 16, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #3,035 of 4,487
Agreed - I was referring to an earlier post where I did highlight the need to have the vacuum on a very low setting etc.

Anyway - hope you get it sorted.

My vote would be to buy another set of T90s - I think they are wonderful if the sound signature suits you.

Yeah the thing is i cant set the level of power on my vacuum cleaner, and since i still have warranty i didn't want to risk it. Is there any set of headphones that is similar to the T90s or are them one of a kind?

For example, the T70p's
Edit: just realized that they had a closed design..

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #3,036 of 4,487
I love t90 
atsmile.gif

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #3,037 of 4,487
  Yeah the thing is i cant set the level of power on my vacuum cleaner, and since i still have warranty i didn't want to risk it. Is there any set of headphones that is similar to the T90s or are them one of a kind?

For example, the T70p's
Edit: just realized that they had a closed design..

From memory, the T70s (I'm assuming they're not much different to T70ps) are not similar to the T90s. I found the T70s to be "sterile", too neutral and boring for my taste. The T90s however are fun sounding. Also the T90s seems to be a little bit hotter in the treble regions compared to the T70s IMO.

Again, this is all from memory though. I haven't listened to the T70s for some time.

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #3,038 of 4,487
X2 is a good choice too and is cheaper.

But I think X2 is darker & more bassy. U probably will miss the detail, clarity & soundstage of T90. But not by much :cool:

Jun 17, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #3,039 of 4,487
  I see, could you elaborate on that? Like an example. I owned a pair of ATH M50s before the T90's and i found the T90's way more clear and alot more depth. 

Well the T90s are on a whole different level from the M50 in general, but most noticeably their bass control is far superior, and mids not as recessed.

It's really hard to know fully what differences you're hearing, because the two cans have drastically different sound signatures, and are on very different levels in terms of overall performance - the T90 is bright and lean, with a touch of warmth its mids, while the M50 is stereotypically v-shaped with scooped, fairly sterile mids. But the T90 also has noticeably more detail, a larger soundstage, better instrument separation...I mean I could go on.

So there are differences in both quality and sound signature. The one thing they share is emphasis on treble, although the M50's emphasis comes in lower. If you're used to this, my guess is that the X2s will sound dark and a bit veiled to your ears, especially if you really enjoyed the stock T90s.

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #3,040 of 4,487
I take back my previous critique of the T90s. It appears the problem wasn't the headphone but my chain Modi2 Uber + Magni 2 Uber. When I ran the headphone directly through my laptop it was a night and day difference. Clean, very clear and detailed. Bass was satisfying to listen to, full, textured, punchy and clean. One of the things I loved the most about the T90s is its balance. The treble on them is hot yes but it adds to clarity in my opinion, vocals come in loud, clear, and airy while creating a nice balance with the instruments forming quite the enjoyable listening experience. I feel as if all frequencies are well represented and given the freedom to stand out. A very clean and clear sound signature from low to high frequencies  Imaging is on point, you can make out the location of the instruments and details stand out more in comparison to my other headphones. Note although I know it's frowned upon I do use DSPs like Bongiovi DPS & DFX (because they make the music much more engageable and pleasing to listen for my ears) both use the internal sound card and although they seem to work with my Schiit uber stack might not be taking full advantage of that combo namely the Modi 2 Uber's sound card. Now on to fully figure out what may be the problem with my Schiit Uber Stack.

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #3,041 of 4,487
Just gonna throw this out there - my HD650s have been 100% on the shelf since I did the Brainwavz pad swap and tissue mod. I can use more of the volume pot now that the brightness is tamed, and as a result the bass is noticeably punchier. No detail lost in highs at all, and a much more universal sound sig - before I used them mainly for classical and some especially well-produced EDM, but now I use them for everything from hip hop to art rock to psybient, downtempo and even some of my indietronica like EOTO. HD650 still reigns supreme for trip-hop and less-than-well-recorded stuff like Sublime and RATM, but other than that, modded T90 all the way! 
beyersmile.png

(YMMV.)

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #3,042 of 4,487
Just gonna throw this out there - my HD650s have been 100% on the shelf since I did the Brainwavz pad swap and tissue mod. I can use more of the volume pot now that the brightness is tamed, and as a result the bass is noticeably punchier. No detail lost in highs at all, and a much more universal sound sig - before I used them mainly for classical and some especially well-produced EDM, but now I use them for everything from hip hop to art rock to psybient, downtempo and even some of my indietronica like EOTO. HD650 still reigns supreme for trip-hop and less-than-well-recorded stuff like Sublime and RATM, but other than that, modded T90 all the way! :beyersmile:

(YMMV.)
So my pads came in yesterday and all I did was switch them out(give them a little stretch before putting them on). With the brainwavz pads the bass has notably more weight behind it with a slightly larger soundstage. Not to mention they are more comfortable than the stock pads. I may try the tissue but I don't mind the treble on about 90% of my music.
Thanks for the info

Jun 18, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #3,043 of 4,487
So my pads came in yesterday and all I did was switch them out(give them a little stretch before putting them on). With the brainwavz pads the bass has notably more weight behind it with a slightly larger soundstage. Not to mention they are more comfortable than the stock pads. I may try the tissue but I don't mind the treble on about 90% of my music.
Thanks for the info

Np :)

The only thing missing from the T90 with these pads, IMO, is a little information around 5k. With that, they'd be perfect.

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #3,044 of 4,487
Originally Posted by ZekeAdebayo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Now on to fully figure out what may be the problem with my Schiit Uber Stack.

While I do like Schiit as a really fun company I've found that the combination of their only amp I've heard so far (sorry, the name eludes me, some older midrange model) with several Beyerdynamic headphones as well as the K812 is not to my taste, a bit too harsh, especially loosing the Beyers treble details a bit. So while obviously I can't say anything about your specific models maybe everything is technically working fine and its just that the two sound signatures do not get along very well.

Jun 20, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #3,045 of 4,487
You might have hit the nail right on the head. One of the most noticeable changes from the sound was the hot treble. It was really absent from my T90s when I plugged them into the Modi 2 Uber something that never happened when I plugged it to my laptop. The T90s tend to be the type of headphone that benefit greatly in terms of detail when that treble is there, cutting that out tends to make them a bit less detailed. It makes sense why my initial impressions of the T90s were quite off from what everyone else was experiencing. Helps to have multiple sources, I would have sold a really nice headphone without knowing the fault was on my side with the amp I had around. Now I'll just have to find an amp that has a nice Synergy with the T90s. Hoping the next headphone meet we'll have in my city is soon so I can compare them being run out of different setups. May I ask which amp or amps you use with them? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back