Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Jan 4, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #2,626 of 4,487
It's pretty bright; I tend to listen at lower volumes with my T90s. The midrange has an incredible balance of warmth and transparency, on par with the best of the best, but the treble is as bright or brighter than the DT990, and I can definitely see it being way too much for some folks. The 860 is definitely darker in comparison.

The T90 will never "ear rape" you, IMO; the treble is very well-controlled and never sibilant unless it's in the recording, and even then it doesn't really highlight or magnify it. But it will just be flat out too much for a lot of folks, I think.
So, is its treble really that bright, huh, and this is a proverbial pipedream? It can't be worse than the DT860 and DT990 or can it? Is it like pouring acid or driving nailing into your eardrums or something? If it is like the two Beyers I mentioned but uber refined, it could be the ear candy I'm after. When it comes to music listening anyway, it's pick your poison.

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #2,627 of 4,487
With the right amp, the T90 is amazing for edm with fantastic bass.

Try them with the Bottlehead Crack and they turn into bass monsters. - am exaggerating buy honestly, not missing anything and I do have a few other bass heavy headphones.

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #2,628 of 4,487
Hmmm, I don't think they are that similar, actually, aside from sharing elements of the Beyer house sound; the DT860 is closer to being an open, more tame DT770. It's definitely got more midbass than the T90; definitely not as much as the DT770 or DT990 though. I would say its right in between the DT770/DT990 and DT880 in terms of quantity; very nice tuning here, just about what I would call perfect bass for its price range. It's also got less extended treble, and is a bit more even-handed overall, slightly warm with most emphasis in the treble coming between 5-10khz, whereas the T90 is definitely tipped towards treble and is emphasized more in the 7-15k range. T90 bass is also super tight; it's like the GR07 of full-sized headphones, IMO. The DT860 sounds closer to a TF10 by comparison; in fact I think its signature is actually quite a bit like the TF10 overall, albeit with less midbass and less recessed mids.

I'm a big fan of the DT860; I think it's the best all-arounder open can on the market for under $300, and it sounds great out of just about anything, including my stock iPhone 5S.

Quote:
  Gilly87 said the T90 are similar to the DT860 but technically an upgrade over them.

Regarding the bass, I think it has more impact and goes deeper than the HD600. But there is almost no midbass. The HD600 has a midbass hump (as do many headphones) for a romantic sound.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #2,629 of 4,487
Does anyone in Utah have a pair of T90's they'd be willing to loan or let me test somewhere? I can do a temporary headphone swap (my HD600's), a temporary deposit (via PayPal) or something. I really, really wanted to demo the TOTL Beyers when I was back in the Midwest for the summer but the T90 and T1 belong to the one line of headphones Sweetwater doesn't seem to carry much of. Now, back at college, I don't know of any audiophile headphone dealers in Utah, and I spent years looking by Google'ing and calling pro audio and high-end audio shops and even manufacturers to no avail, but maybe there is a place I overlooked or maybe there is a distributor in the area I could convince to let me try them. Are there any distributors out around these parts that I could get in touch with? A couple years ago, I was able to get a distributor to send a demo pair of SRH940s to a pro audio store near my home in Michigan.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #2,630 of 4,487
Hmmm, the T90 is probably light on bass for your tastes if you like the 860 and 990. The T90's notes are softer than either in terms of impact, and while they have a touch of warmth from emphasized upper bass, they are not bassy headphones and don't have as much impact as either; they are closer to the DT880 in this regard.

I have demoed the Sennheiser HD800 extensively and I liked the way it did bass, aside from it lacking just a smidge of impact in the lower bass. It is inevitable that I will need to demo to see for myself but how does T90's bass stack up to the HD800's? Is it is ever-so-slightly more engaging and have a smidge more impact?

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #2,631 of 4,487

I have demoed the Sennheiser HD800 extensively and I liked the way it did bass, aside from it lacking just a smidge of impact in the lower bass. It is inevitable that I will need to demo to see for myself but how does T90's bass stack up to the HD800's? Is it is ever-so-slightly more engaging and have a smidge more impact?

Take what I say with a grain of salt since I only demoed the HD800 once (although it was for many hours). I've been using the T90 for a year, however, and generally speaking I think the T90 is a tad brighter compared to the HD800. Subjectively, this lead me to think the HD800 had a little more bass impact. However, I would say their bass impact is probably similar. 

I'll also say the T90 scales well with better gear and you'll get more of everything, including bass, with better components in your chain. My xonar and asgard 2 are good enough to give me all the bass I need with the T90.

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #2,632 of 4,487
Not to be pesky, but how do these songs sound on the T90? I want more deep bass and sparkle than my HD600 offers with minimal harshness or brashness. None of these sound horribly harsh or treble ridden, do they? Just a bit more thrilling and fun-filled aural roller coaster ride is all I ask for.

Song for Guy, from "A Single Man" by Elton John
http://grooveshark.com/s/Song+For+Guy/1MO0m3?src=5

Marshmallow Attack!, from the "Frozen Original Motion Picture Soundtrack"
http://grooveshark.com/s/Marshmallow+Attack/6GBBMw?src=5

Children of Sanchez Theme, from "Classics in Modern Jazz, Vol. 6: Chuck Mangione" featuring Chuck Mangione
http://grooveshark.com/s/Children+Of+Sanchez+Theme/2K3L0H?src=5

This Machine, from "TRIPLE THREAT Sonic Heroes Vocal Trax" featuring Julien-K
http://grooveshark.com/s/This+Machine/57dhqN?src=5

We Are Family, from "Disco Gold" featuring Sister Sledge
http://grooveshark.com/s/We+Are+Family/4MomPm?src=5

True (2010 Remaster), from "True" by Spandau Ballet
http://grooveshark.com/s/True+New+Mix/6OoaYB?src=5

EDIT: By the way, the T90 is on sale again at BuySonic, for a low $449.

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #2,633 of 4,487
  Not to be pesky, but how do these songs sound on the T90? I want more deep bass and sparkle than my HD600 offers with minimal harshness or brashness. None of these sound horribly harsh or treble ridden, do they? Just a bit more thrilling and fun-filled aural roller coaster ride is all I ask for.

Song for Guy, from "A Single Man" by Elton John
http://grooveshark.com/s/Song+For+Guy/1MO0m3?src=5

Marshmallow Attack!, from the "Frozen Original Motion Picture Soundtrack"
http://grooveshark.com/s/Marshmallow+Attack/6GBBMw?src=5

Children of Sanchez Theme, from "Classics in Modern Jazz, Vol. 6: Chuck Mangione" featuring Chuck Mangione
http://grooveshark.com/s/Children+Of+Sanchez+Theme/2K3L0H?src=5

This Machine, from "TRIPLE THREAT Sonic Heroes Vocal Trax" featuring Julien-K
http://grooveshark.com/s/This+Machine/57dhqN?src=5

We Are Family, from "Disco Gold" featuring Sister Sledge
http://grooveshark.com/s/We+Are+Family/4MomPm?src=5

True (2010 Remaster), from "True" by Spandau Ballet
http://grooveshark.com/s/True+New+Mix/6OoaYB?src=5

EDIT: By the way, the T90 is on sale again at BuySonic, for a low $449.

I sold my T90 recently to buy the T90 Jubilee :wink: That's how much I love the T90 and I also love my bass. So, I listened through your songs and they are sparkly, detailed, have the perfect amount of oomph. The highs are never harsh but incredibly detailed. There is no sibilance whatsoever.

I must admit though, that I thought initially the T90 were bass shy, that's because I paired them with a brighter setup, they heavily depend on the proper amping and DAC.

Currently I am running the T90 through the Modi into a Bottlehead Crack (with speedball) Mullard/Amperex combo and the sound is absolutely great. Nothing is missing, it's lively and really a joy to loose yourself in the music.

How the T90 performs with the O2 and ODAC, no idea.

Cheers,
K

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #2,634 of 4,487

I sold my T90 recently to buy the T90 Jubilee :wink: That's how much I love the T90 and I also love my bass. So, I listened through your songs and they are sparkly, detailed, have the perfect amount of oomph. The highs are never harsh but incredibly detailed. There is no sibilance whatsoever.

I must admit though, that I thought initially the T90 were bass shy, that's because I paired them with a brighter setup, they heavily depend on the proper amping and DAC.

Currently I am running the T90 through the Modi into a Bottlehead Crack (with speedball) Mullard/Amperex combo and the sound is absolutely great. Nothing is missing, it's lively and really a joy to loose yourself in the music.

Cheers,
K

T90 performs great with ODAC/O2 - that's what I use. I listened through the songs (except We Are Family, couldn't get it for some reason) and agree with your assessment. I never thought T90 are lacking in bass, but then again I'm no basshead. 

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #2,635 of 4,487
Gilly87 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmmm, I don't think they are that similar, actually, aside from sharing elements of the Beyer house sound; the DT860 is closer to being an open, more tame DT770. It's definitely got more midbass than the T90; definitely not as much as the DT770 or DT990 though. I would say its right in between the DT770/DT990 and DT880 in terms of quantity; very nice tuning here, just about what I would call perfect bass for its price range. It's also got less extended treble, and is a bit more even-handed overall, slightly warm with most emphasis in the treble coming between 5-10khz, whereas the T90 is definitely tipped towards treble and is emphasized more in the 7-15k range. T90 bass is also super tight; it's like the GR07 of full-sized headphones, IMO. The DT860 sounds closer to a TF10 by comparison; in fact I think its signature is actually quite a bit like the TF10 overall, albeit with less midbass and less recessed mids.

I'm a big fan of the DT860; I think it's the best all-arounder open can on the market for under $300, and it sounds great out of just about anything, including my stock iPhone 5S.

Thanks for the correction and comparison. Yes the DT860 seems very nicely balanced and good value (£75 on Amazon UK). The only things holding it back are perhaps the looks/comfort and previous reports of it being very bright.

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #2,636 of 4,487

Cheers,
K

T90 performs great with ODAC/O2 - that's what I use. I listened through the songs (except We Are Family, couldn't get it for some reason) and agree with your assessment. I never thought T90 are lacking in bass, but then again I'm no basshead. 

That's fantastic! Thank you so much, ansi, DangerToast, Gilly87 and Koolpep, for your help and assistance and for giving me great hope about these headphones. I have been feeling really bummed about the HD600 in that it is a huge downgrade in involvement and energy to the DT860s I sold not too long ago. I would have the DT860s today if not for selling them to make way for a non-headphone related purchase. I may purchase both the T90 and DT860 over the next few months because I was always greatly impressed by the later and the former seems to be a step in the right direction for me. In fact, I absolutely love the DT860 like Gilly87 and I would go above and beyond and say that it was my favorite of all low power headphones including the top of the line Grados I have demoed. Sometimes, old timers here confuse it with the DT831 which is razor sharp in brightness but the DT860 is actually very nice and my favorite of the DT line, amped or unamped.

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #2,637 of 4,487

That's fantastic! Thank you so much, ansi, DangerToast, Gilly87 and Koolpep, for your help and assistance and for giving me great hope about these headphones. I have been feeling really bummed about the HD600 in that it is a huge downgrade in involvement and energy to the DT860s I sold not too long ago. I would have the DT860s today if not for selling them to make way for a non-headphone related purchase. I may purchase both the T90 and DT860 over the next few months because I was always greatly impressed by the later and the former seems to be a step in the right direction for me. In fact, I absolutely love the DT860 like Gilly87 and I would go above and beyond and say that it was my favorite of all low power headphones including the top of the line Grados I have demoed. Sometimes, old timers here confuse it with the DT831 which is razor sharp in brightness but the DT860 is actually very nice and my favorite of the DT line, amped or unamped.

If it helps at all, I think that the T90s are so much more engaging than the DT's that I have (although I never heard the 860s but I have heard most of the others). For me they are in two completely separate leagues. Good luck whichever way you go.

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #2,638 of 4,487
Hmmm, the T90 is probably light on bass for your tastes if you like the 860 and 990. The T90's notes are softer than either in terms of impact, and while they have a touch of warmth from emphasized upper bass, they are not bassy headphones and don't have as much impact as either; they are closer to the DT880 in this regard.

To describe the T90 in terms of other Beyer phones: think DT880 for the most part (should've called it the T80!), with a warmer midrange like the 860, and treble quantity closer to the 990s  (they are notoriously bright).

If you are used to HD600 bass quantity, the T90 might have enough depending on your setup, but I'd try them with your system before you commit. The T1 might be the way to go for you, if you've got the cash: it's got more bass, less treble, and a deeper soundstage. A beautiful headphone for sure, definitely the most engaging TOTL headphone I've heard to date.

DT990 ain't got s#$% on T90 in terms of treble quality.  T90 is bassier-sounding than DT880, too.

T90's treble sounds nothing like the DT Beyers to me.

Jan 5, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #2,639 of 4,487
At this point, I think I am beginning to understand why the OP put a ":D" on the thread title because these must be really happy sounding headphones. Given the overwhelmingly positive response here, I might as well make the plunge blind and buy a used one once it pops up on eBay. It can't be worse than the HD600 because at least the T90's upper treble is much more present, which I like. I can take a sin of commission instead of omission if it is done elegantly and with finesse.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! It may take a couple months to gather together the funds (oh, the wads of cash we throw down for our sonic perfection...) but I will remember to post impressions once I get my pair. Everyone, those who I may have recognized by name or not, has played a part in this my next step in the hobby and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

PS: I cannot wait to hear what Sonic Boom, the song linked in my sig, sounds like. OH MY GOODNESS! I can't wait to hear that mighty bass guitar, those silky, strong female vocals, and the crunchy and proud electric guitar. Just a few paychecks and this puppy will be all mine!
beyersmile.png

PPS: This video review just goes to show how hyped I am to own them and I haven't even demoed the darned things yet!

PPPS: Something interesting I noticed between the HE-6 and the T90. The sound responses are really similar, and one is a flagship. That's absolutely great to see, but I have always been skeptical of HeadRoom's graphs, though I have been using this view lately because I don't totally agree with the curve they are applying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back