Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Dec 26, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #2,597 of 4,487
  I see to recall hearing great things about the T90 + CSP3 pairing.

That looks really good. Dat price tho 
triportsad.gif

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #2,598 of 4,487
Are there any other OTL tube amps besides the Bottlehead Crack that mesh well with the T90?

Darkvoice se336 from.what I heard.

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #2,599 of 4,487

To my knowledge the cable is not suitable to balanced operation (i.e. has only 3 leads, not 4), so you'd have to exchange that as well. Not worth it I think...

I've seen plenty of people mention that they have switched the T90's cable for 4-pin XLR balanced so it must be possible/compatible to do so!

If anyone here has indeed done this I would love it if you could give some advice.

:)

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #2,600 of 4,487
I've seen plenty of people mention that they have switched the T90's cable for 4-pin XLR balanced so it must be possible/compatible to do so!

If anyone here has indeed done this I would love it if you could give some advice.

It's possible, but it's not as easy as cutting off the 1/4" and attaching a XLR.
The cable itself only has 3 wires going through it. Also, internally, the T90 isn't wired for balanced output.

You'll need to recable as well as rewire the drivers for balanced use.

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #2,601 of 4,487

As I said above: You have to change the whole cable, just replacing the connector won't do (and might possibly damage your amp). Thats not so easy as you'll either have to replace it with a 4-wire cable to one cup and reuse the cable across the headband or drill a new hole in the second cup and go directly into both cups. Not worth it. This is a very efficient headphone, no need for additional power (as a balanced setup can provide). Don't expect too much tonal changes...

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #2,602 of 4,487
I've noticed that many metal recordings lack bass, even on phones other than the T90s.

Quote:

Hi!

Im quite pleased with the bass on these when listening to Trance, Other than that i feel theese lacks bass in terms of volume/punch/slam when listening to Metal (bass drum and bass guitar) and Dubstep or Drum and Bass.

But yeah, as many has stated before: Amping is key :)

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #2,605 of 4,487
It's possible, but it's not as easy as cutting off the 1/4" and attaching a XLR.
The cable itself only has 3 wires going through it. Also, internally, the T90 isn't wired for balanced output.

You'll need to recable as well as rewire the drivers for balanced use.

As I said above: You have to change the whole cable, just replacing the connector won't do (and might possibly damage your amp). Thats not so easy as you'll either have to replace it with a 4-wire cable to one cup and reuse the cable across the headband or drill a new hole in the second cup and go directly into both cups. Not worth it. This is a very efficient headphone, no need for additional power (as a balanced setup can provide). Don't expect too much tonal changes...

Cheers for clearing that up guys. Sounds more complicated than I first thought.

As the T90's sound great through the 1/4" I'll carry on using that!

:wink:

Dec 27, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #2,606 of 4,487
Dec 30, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #2,607 of 4,487
I don't know why, but I'm getting a serious rattle coming from both cups...I'm just listening to classical + ALAC from iPod to Portaphile 627X to T90's. Volume is at 10 o'clock (pretty soft). Lotta rattle/vibration with a dark cello in left cup. In my right cup, rattle/vibration from higher tones. A lotta rattle from piano. Yikes. WT?

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #2,610 of 4,487
Anyone else have tried the t90s with Velour pads? Took the Velour pads from my MMX300s and the sound changed quite significantly, would say it´s abit warmer sounding with ALOT of mids and a slight boost in the lower frequencies.

The microfiber pads are more "Airy" so to speak wich makes it more Open and analytical while the Velour pads are sealing in the sound abit more in the cans.
Im really enjoying the sound of these now!

Also waiting for my asgard 2 which should arrive on monday :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back