Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Oct 22, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #2,432 of 4,487
  If you want something warmer/darker on this level, HD650 is awesome. Needs a lot more juice though; my T90s sound fine even out of the headphone jack on my ultrabook. HD650s needed a really solid source and at least an Asgard/02 to give firm, textured bass.

I imagine the T90 to be technically better HD650 but probably not as full sounding given the HD650s midbass. 

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #2,434 of 4,487
Hmmm...tough call. The T90 never sounds thin, because it has great bass, but you're right it's not as full-sounding.

Overall I'd say the T90 are a bit more detailed, and more tonally neutral. The HD650 has a deeper soundstage when well-amped, though, and while the T90 is a bit better defined in terms of instrument separation, HD650 puts more space between instruments and has a generally "bigger," more grandiose sound due to better depth and more midbass/lower mids. The T90 is definitely more aggressive, and while it can produce a very out-of-head sound with well-mastered recordings, its generally more condensed/compact sounding and a touch less dynamic than the HD650 in general; it lacks the extra midbass that gives the HD650 a bit more dynamism, and the more aggressive treble can make it sound less spaced out.

It does have much better defined bass, though, with much better depth and punch, and less distortion, even with less power. It never has the woolly sound that the HD650 falls prey to on really well-mastered material, where it can skimp on fine detail and sound just a little too smooth to be "real." It also blows the HD650's treble completely out of the water, in both definition and extension, and sounds more tonally realistic. I also like the T90 mids better: they are crisper with more detail, and are more tonally neutral without being sterile; they have a tiny bit of warmth, so as not to sound thin, and have an almost Grado-like aggressiveness with rock music.

Quote:
  I imagine the T90 to be technically better HD650 but probably not as full sounding given the HD650s midbass. 

Oct 23, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #2,435 of 4,487
Strange question.
When i lower the volume level on PC and increase it on usb dac/amp (AuneT1) T90 sounds somewhat better (a bit less agressive, but with all the same details, airyness etc.).
Can it be? Or is it just me? lol

Oct 23, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #2,436 of 4,487
Bad idea, IMO. By lowering the volume on your PC, you are effectively chopping bits and reducing the overall resolution, which would result in the perceived softening that you report. Ultimately, of course, what really matters is that you enjoy the result, although personally I would be weary of following that route...

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #2,437 of 4,487
Originally Posted by Gilly87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Overall I'd say the T90 are a bit more detailed, and more tonally neutral. The HD650 has a deeper soundstage when well-amped, though, and while the T90 is a bit better defined in terms of instrument separation, HD650 puts more space between instruments and has a generally "bigger," more grandiose sound due to better depth and more midbass/lower mids. The T90 is definitely more aggressive, and while it can produce a very out-of-head sound with well-mastered recordings, its generally more condensed/compact sounding and a touch less dynamic than the HD650 in general; it lacks the extra midbass that gives the HD650 a bit more dynamism, and the more aggressive treble can make it sound less spaced out.

It does have much better defined bass, though, with much better depth and punch, and less distortion, even with less power. It never has the woolly sound that the HD650 falls prey to on really well-mastered material, where it can skimp on fine detail and sound just a little too smooth to be "real." It also blows the HD650's treble completely out of the water, in both definition and extension, and sounds more tonally realistic. I also like the T90 mids better: they are crisper with more detail, and are more tonally neutral without being sterile; they have a tiny bit of warmth, so as not to sound thin, and have an almost Grado-like aggressiveness with rock music.

I can see the smoothness of the HD650/600 being problematic especially if the texture of the sound is not supposed to be smooth. Ideally a headphone should be able to project both rough and smooth sounds as in real life. The T90 seems better to me overall, even taking into account the mediocre soundstage (a bit surprising since it is fully open). The only potential dealbreaker I see is the accentuation on the highs which one would be wise to test drive.

Oct 24, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2,441 of 4,487
Yeah I can definitely see fans of Sennheiser cans below the HD700 finding the T90 treble to be on the harsh side; I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who hasn't tried a Beyer headphones before unless they were a definite treble-head, which I seem to be becoming...

Quote:

I can see the smoothness of the HD650/600 being problematic especially if the texture of the sound is not supposed to be smooth. Ideally a headphone should be able to project both rough and smooth sounds as in real life. The T90 seems better to me overall, even taking into account the mediocre soundstage (a bit surprising since it is fully open). The only potential dealbreaker I see is the accentuation on the highs which one would be wise to test drive.

Oct 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #2,442 of 4,487
If it sounds better to you, do it, I say. Enjoy what you enjoy.

Quote:
Bad idea, IMO. By lowering the volume on your PC, you are effectively chopping bits and reducing the overall resolution, which would result in the perceived softening that you report. Ultimately, of course, what really matters is that you enjoy the result, although personally I would be weary of following that route...

Strange question.
When i lower the volume level on PC and increase it on usb dac/amp (AuneT1) T90 sounds somewhat better (a bit less agressive, but with all the same details, airyness etc.).
Can it be? Or is it just me? lol

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #2,443 of 4,487
Hey guys,

What portable amp/Dac would be the best to power the Beyerdynamic T90's, under $200 (Preferably Less)

And will I require just an amp Or a DAC as well if I'm playing from my Mac/Galaxy S4 i9500 

Genres I listen to Progressive House, Pop, Electronic, R&B, Trance, Dance, Alternative.
Cheers

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #2,444 of 4,487
Hey guys,

What portable amp/Dac would be the best to power the Beyerdynamic T90's, under $200 (Preferably Less)

And will I require just an amp Or a DAC as well if I'm playing from my Mac/Galaxy S4 i9500 

Genres I listen to Progressive House, Pop, Electronic, R&B, Trance, Dance, Alternative.
Cheers

I love to listen to my T90 with my JDS Labs C5D which works as Dac/amp or just as an amp. For your genres it also has a convenient 3 stage bass boost which comes in handy with the T90.

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #2,445 of 4,487
Looks good... Anything else that's cheaper?
i don't want to spend more than $800 for the T90's and an AMP/DAC :D

Would a MacBook Pro drive the t90's well? I only listen at moderate levels but don't want the quality to suffer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back