Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
May 27, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #2,042 of 4,487
The ODA has 3x the current capacity of the O2...would drive the T1's with aplumb!!

and you could have both attached at the same time and easily do a quick compare within seconds to see which one you might sell!!!

LOL!

A.

May 27, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #2,048 of 4,487
Now you know how i feel trying to wait for next month so i have enough to get my Bifrost to use with my tube amp and T90's. =(

May 28, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #2,049 of 4,487
  Hello everyone, i have sennheiser hd 598 and i want more detail, so i am in dilemma between BEYERDYNAMIC T90 and SENNHEISER HD-700, my source is dragonfly v1.2, help me to make right choice.

From 598 directly to T90 here. The T90 is staggering. It's a detail monster, you can't really go wrong.

I had considered selling mine at one point thinking the earpads were causing me pain, but I had a somewhat serious sinus infection. 

I would have cried over the loss if I had sold them. 

May 28, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #2,050 of 4,487
At a recent Head-Fi meet really liked the T90 referenced to my DT880, so I've just added them to my stable. They're nib, and early listening shows them to be really lacking in texture & timbre, no meat on the bones compared to everything else I've got. I'm not normally a believer in HUGE improvements with break-in, but have them on a dummy head (not mine) with a real mixed playlist for several hours at moderate volume and will see what I think listening over the next few days.

I was expecting just a bit more transparent version of my DT880 personality; maybe that's not realistic.

May 28, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #2,051 of 4,487
You probably are pairing them with the wrong amp.

May 28, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #2,052 of 4,487
At a recent Head-Fi meet really liked the T90 referenced to my DT880, so I've just added them to my stable. They're nib, and early listening shows them to be really lacking in texture & timbre, no meat on the bones compared to everything else I've got. I'm not normally a believer in HUGE improvements with break-in, but have them on a dummy head (not mine) with a real mixed playlist for several hours at moderate volume and will see what I think listening over the next few days.

I was expecting just a bit more transparent version of my DT880 personality; maybe that's not realistic.

Both the drivers and the pads need to break-in, so it's good you have them on the dummy's head (not yours).  Let it run a week or two and post back what you think.

And as Mad Max said, it might be your amp.  To my ears the T90 are just so-so on the Asgard 2, and much better on the Valhalla and Project Ember.  I've never heard the Crack (a business trip kept me from the Seattle meet last month at Bottlehead).  Hopefully at the next meet I can give the Crack a run on the T90 and compare to the Ember.

May 29, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #2,053 of 4,487

Both the drivers and the pads need to break-in, so it's good you have them on the dummy's head (not yours).  Let it run a week or two and post back what you think.

And as Mad Max said, it might be your amp.  To my ears the T90 are just so-so on the Asgard 2, and much better on the Valhalla and Project Ember.  I've never heard the Crack (a business trip kept me from the Seattle meet last month at Bottlehead).  Hopefully at the next meet I can give the Crack a run on the T90 and compare to the Ember.

Yes, T90 with Valhalla is ok, however with the Crack they shine and get all the body and depth they are missing on a SSD amp (Schiit Asgard (mk 1 not 2) in my opinion. The bass shows its head on the Valhalla but with the crack you get the full, detailed 4k UHD picture quality and impact while not loosing any of the midrange and sparkle in the upper registers... 

Cheers,
K

Jun 1, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #2,054 of 4,487
I have spent the last few days putting gthe final touches on my ODA and have it buttoned up.

We added a heatsink to the IC11 which is the relay voltage supply ic and changed some resistors to improve some very minor ringing based on
the new 16VAC power xfmr.

So this report is a subjective one.....

All tunes are as they are....tight, controlled sound, tonality is wonderful, very, very musical....makes you really stop and wonder how this amp and
cans work so very well together.

OMG, Joe Satraini, Hill groove....bass to knock your socks off.
Sara McLachlan, WIntersong....soundstage, open , airy, clear the best I have ever heard it.....absolutely marvelous tonality....breath taking.
Chris Rea, I Can Hear Your Heartbeat...tight, balanced absolutely 3 dimensional....
Dido, My Lovers Gone from No Angel, she is in you head...ethereal, clear, crisp, detailed beyond wonderful.
Jamie Cullum, Catching Tales, My Yard....Male voice is perfection, drum whacks tight, wonderful depth and very nice controlled soundstage....
Joe Satriani, Rubina......from The Electric Joe Satriani....Drum whacks in opening and through out are so tight and awesome. Wonderful guitar riffs
Stevie Nicks, Rock and Roll Live 2005....WOW....your are there, well almost!! Its really good, a very very busy and loud song....guitar fast paced, the T90s handle this with ease.
Alanis Morrisette, Jagged Little Pill Acoustic, You Ought to Know...OMG, So, so nice, drum whacks etc...voice is perfect..open, crisp clear and balanced. I see no need for any bass boost for the T90's and this ODA amp...its so well spectrally balanced...

You don't want to stop listening...

later
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back