Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Jan 24, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #1,531 of 4,487
I just picked up some t90's

I don't have an amp now because I sold all of my sources and amps to start over and I must say they are way better than I thought. I know they have their issues but I prefer them to a lot of headphones. One thing is for sure.... MAN these things are bright! Definitely not accurately balanced but they are a fun listen.

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #1,532 of 4,487
  I just picked up some t90's

I don't have an amp now because I sold all of my sources and amps to start over and I must say they are way better than I thought. I know they have their issues but I prefer them to a lot of headphones. One thing is for sure.... MAN these things are bright! Definitely not accurately balanced but they are a fun listen.

They do indeed make most other headphones sound quite laid-back in comparison. But I think that's the general Beyerdynamic house sound regardless. The T1, HD800, and HD700 are noticeably brighter.
They are definitely a fun listen, but with more than enough details and accurate imaging to satisfy audiophiles. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #1,533 of 4,487
it will be either the t90 or this ^staying here.
Quote:
  Hi,

So am I. It's an awesome headphone. The DT990 is one of the best headphones under $400 IMO. Nothing is really better except for say the DT880.

It's really too bad that beyer fumbled on this one. The T90, well, sucks IMO. It's nothing like the DT990 except for it having a crap ton of treble and thin mids. The soundstage is kinda weird, the treble is so sibilant and peaky, the sound has a "zing" to it. I could go on and complain more but I think I've made my point.

They do indeed make most other headphones sound quite laid-back in comparison. But I think that's the general Beyerdynamic house sound regardless. The T1, HD800, and HD700 are noticeably brighter.
They are definitely a fun listen, but with more than enough details and accurate imaging to satisfy audiophiles

imo:
- dt990 is veryyy mediocre if not bad ...amp or no amp even at 180 bucks.
 t90 is not mediocre.

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #1,534 of 4,487

imo:
- dt990 is veryyy mediocre if not bad ...amp or no amp even at 180 bucks.
 this is not mediocre

The DT990 is meh. I don't know why zombie said he thinks it's one of the best headphones under 400$.

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #1,535 of 4,487
 Another characteristic of the T90 is a smaller than average soundstage compared to open back headphones.

My experience has been a bit different,amongst all the HP's I have heard, the only headphone which beats the T90 in terms of sound stage is the Senn HD 800. (Please see my profile to see the HP's I have heard). On my Woo WA6 (running with Sophia rectifier + driver tubes), If HD 800 if 10 then T90's are 8 on a comparative scale, for soundstage.

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #1,536 of 4,487
  My experience has been a bit different,amongst all the HP's I have heard, the only headphone which beats the T90 in terms of sound stage is the Senn HD 800. (Please see my profile to see the HP's I have heard). On my Woo WA6 (running with Sophia rectifier + driver tubes), If HD 800 if 10 then T90's are 8 on a comparative scale, for soundstage.

Very large sound stages on headphones can sound extremely artificial with modern music if the instruments aren't large enough and the instrument separation isn't phenomenal.

First impressions of them is that they do not suffer from that and go as big as any hp should while still sounding genuine in layout.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #1,537 of 4,487
I'm thinking of buying these. Can you guys talk me out of it, so I don't spend so much? :)

I was thinking DT880 or DT990 at first. How do the T90's compare to those two? I want to use em for gaming and listening to electronic music, perhaps mix a couple of tracks as a hobby.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #1,539 of 4,487
I'm thinking Xonar DX for DAC and a Schiit Vali semi-tube amp. Still need to buy these too though. I like a bit more bass so I'm leaning towards the Vali instead of a Magni, as it's said tube amps give a warmer sound.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #1,540 of 4,487
Am not familiar with these so cannot comment on the synergy with T90's. They are very finicky about the chain upstream & will sound bright without proper system synergy, be prepared to use EQ (to tone down the treble) to get the best out of them, if your system makes them sound bright.
These are the second best HP's I own, second only to the HD 800's.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #1,541 of 4,487
  Am not familiar with these so cannot comment on the synergy with T90's. They are very finicky about the chain upstream & will sound bright without proper system synergy, be prepared to use EQ (to tone down the treble) to get the best out of them, if your system makes them sound bright.
These are the second best HP's I own, second only to the HD 800's.

I've read that the Vali goes well with neutral and almost neutral sounding headphones, as it provides a bit more fun sound. Would you say that the T90 have a good amount of bass for drum & bass and dubstep and bass impact for gaming? So it's not all just a bass overflow, but it gives the ear drums a massage when needed?

Congrats on the 100th post! :wink:

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #1,542 of 4,487
Thanks
tongue.gif
I am glad my 100th post was about the T90's, I like them a lot.

Yes, IMHO Bass is quite good , I understood the meaning of the term "Bass Texture" after listening to the T90's. Unless ofcourse they are underpowered, then they sound shrill , anemic, lean & flabby bass.

Best bass is from an OTL amp, Thumping.

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #1,543 of 4,487
  I'm thinking of buying these. Can you guys talk me out of it, so I don't spend so much? :)

I was thinking DT880 or DT990 at first. How do the T90's compare to those two? I want to use em for gaming and listening to electronic music, perhaps mix a couple of tracks as a hobby.

Just buy the T90s already. Sheesh :)
Pm me if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back