Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Jan 15, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #1,456 of 4,487

Also no mention of chain. This has become the single most annoying thing for me when I hear impressions. To me, words have zero credibility without mentioning the chain, outside some portable headphones that require no amping.

He's probably running them off of a laptop with Beats audio.
But seriously, no mention of which version he's comparing the T90s too. No mention of anything besides dumping on a headphone most people find great.
No mention of equipment used.

Jan 15, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #1,457 of 4,487
I got my T90 headphones today. I am sorry but I am returning them. I can't stand the treble peak it is so exaggerated that they sound like I have two tweeters in my ears harsh harsh harsh. Bayerdynamic should be embarrassed to release such a bad product.

Never heard of BAYERDYNAMIC. Aspirin company branching into headphones?

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #1,460 of 4,487

I got my T90 headphones today. I am sorry but I am returning them. I can't stand the treble peak it is so exaggerated that they sound like I have two tweeters in my ears harsh harsh harsh. Bayerdynamic should be embarrassed to release such a bad product. I don't understand because my DT990 blow these headphones out of the water in every aspect. These headphones are so uninviting and unmusical that they should fire the engineers who designed them.  No bass and I mean no bass at all.If you want a musical headphone go elsewhere. I am actually angry that I bought this garbage.  Then on top of all of this they name it T90 so everyone thinks it is a successor of the DT990 but they are not even close. You can pickup a DT990 really cheap and they sound 100 percent better. This headphone is a marketing disaster. I am sorry but no amount of break in will fix this they actually sound like Grados which I consider to be the worst headphones ever made. These should be priced around $200 and the DT-990 should be the successor at $600. 

I actually made a mistake because my wife had just brought the headphones in from 20 degrees outside. I thought she had them in the house since the morning. They where cold so they had no bass. Now they make nice full bass. Ignore my comments above. They actually have a very nice powerful bass. It was like if you ever turned on your car stereo on in zero degrees it sounds horrible. That is the way it sounded lol because the drivers where still frozen. I will never rush to review something again.

IMHO one should never review any HP unless you have heard then for atleast 20-30 hours (after 100-150 hrs of burn in). Yes, I agree that T90's has more treble then my other HP's (please see my profile for the list), Yes , I listen to them with a -2 DB cut at 10 Khz & 12 Khz to compensate for this. But I still prefer to listen to them with EQ compared to other HP's without EQ. I had the Senn HD 650 for 3 months & tried all sorts of amps, EQ, cable upgrade but nothing worked & ended up selling them as I found them too uninvolving / lifeless with music, in comparision T90's feel like a wall (not veil) has been lifted. So yeah, I would rather listen to T90 with EQ than some other HP's un-EQ'd. Don't think will be selling them anytime soon. IMHO T90's have better sub bass than HE 500, I prefer T90's for EDM.

Also at the dealer's shop I compared them side by side to DT 990 Pro for around 30 seconds only, As within that time it was quite evident to me that T90's had much more clarity, so there was no further need to do any A/B testing.

edit:
I had time to kill so just out of curiosity I went through nearly all the HP graphs at Headroom, I did not find a single headphone which had  more or at least equal treble peak as compared to that of the T90.

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #1,461 of 4,487
  I got my T90 headphones today. I am sorry but I am returning them. I can't stand the treble peak it is so exaggerated that they sound like I have two tweeters in my ears harsh harsh harsh. Bayerdynamic should be embarrassed to release such a bad product. I don't understand because my DT990 blow these headphones out of the water in every aspect. These headphones are so uninviting and unmusical that they should fire the engineers who designed them.  No bass and I mean no bass at all.If you want a musical headphone go elsewhere. I am actually angry that I bought this garbage.  Then on top of all of this they name it T90 so everyone thinks it is a successor of the DT990 but they are not even close. You can pickup a DT990 really cheap and they sound 100 percent better. This headphone is a marketing disaster. I am sorry but no amount of break in will fix this they actually sound like Grados which I consider to be the worst headphones ever made. These should be priced around $200 and the DT-990 should be the successor at $600. 

I actually made a mistake because my wife had just brought the headphones in from 20 degrees outside. I thought she had them in the house since the morning. They where cold so they had no bass. Now they make nice full bass. Ignore my comments above. They actually have a very nice powerful bass. It was like if you ever turned on your car stereo on in zero degrees it sounds horrible. That is the way it sounded lol because the drivers where still frozen. I will never rush to review something again. 

The same thing happened to me the other week, I bought a 32 ohm DT880 for my little brother and when they arrived they were ice cold and had zero bass. Only took about 20 mins or so to warm up and sound great.

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #1,462 of 4,487
  IMHO one should never review any HP unless you have heard then for atleast 20-30 hours (after 100-150 hrs of burn in). Yes, I agree that T90's has more treble then my other HP's (please see my profile for the list), Yes , I listen to them with a -2 DB cut at 10 Khz & 12 Khz to compensate for this. But I still prefer to listen to them with EQ compared to other HP's without EQ. I had the Senn HD 650 for 3 months & tried all sorts of amps, EQ, cable upgrade but nothing worked & ended up selling them as I found them too uninvolving / lifeless with music, in comparision T90's feel like a wall (not veil) has been lifted. So yeah, I would rather listen to T90 with EQ than some other HP's un-EQ'd. Don't think will be selling them anytime soon. IMHO T90's have better sub bass than HE 500, I prefer T90's for EDM.

Also at the dealer's shop I compared them side by side to DT 990 Pro for around 30 seconds only, As within that time it was quite evident to me that T90's had much more clarity, so there was no further need to do any A/B testing.

edit:
I had time to kill so just out of curiosity I went through nearly all the HP graphs at Headroom, I did not find a single headphone which had  more or at least equal treble peak as compared to that of the T90.

I just did this with foobar 2000 using this graphic equaliser plugin http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=88504 instead of the stock one and its sounds absolutely fantastic, it tames highs in the "problem area". I couldn't be happier, they sound fantastic now. Its how they should have been released, with the -2 cut in that area. 

thank you for the advice

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #1,463 of 4,487
  thank you for the advice

beerchug.gif
. Also in case the purist in you is cringing at the though of using EQ, The general consesus (which I have found through my research as I am not technically qualified to conduct any test to prove this, some may have a different opinion) is that EQ'ing down does not induce distortion but EQ'ing up does to some extent. I use room correction EQ software in my main speaker system, which has noticeably improved the sound so I am pro EQ.
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #1,464 of 4,487

beerchug.gif
. Also in case the purist in you is cringing at the though of using EQ, The general consesus (which I have found through my research as I am not technically qualified to conduct any test to prove this, some may have a different opinion) is that EQ'ing down does not induce distortion but EQ'ing up does to some extent. I use room correction EQ software in my main speaker system, which has noticeably improved the sound so I am pro EQ.
wink.gif

I am very interested in this area and open to learning. Hope the above observance invites others opinions but that is a great start:) Thanks!

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #1,465 of 4,487

beerchug.gif
wink.gif

I noticed no distortion at all :)

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #1,466 of 4,487
Ok.

Most people say i should choose the he-500 because it has a better resolution, (a lot better) bass, vocals.

I tested the T90 already and it was nearly as good as the hd 800.

But i wanna test the he-500 but the next hifi store is 1 1/2 hours away with a he-500. Its not common in Germany.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #1,467 of 4,487
you're probably just sensitive to hi frequencies, I am somewhat myself but try breaking them in for a couple of days just let them play on a loop and play them fairly loud the bass will start to open up.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #1,468 of 4,487
The HE-500 is a good set of cans - I owned a pair for quite awhile. I don't agree re: it being better resolving. With a good chain, the T90 is very, very resolving. My HE-500 days had me using a different chain, but good stuff too and I remember the HE-500 being slightly less resolving. 

Agree about the 'ortho' bass; It's hard to beat the tightness and slam that ortho's can bring in the lower registers. Th T90 is pretty good there too, a little looser, a little less impact. Overall I prefer the T90 because the imaging is miles ahead of the HE-500. 

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #1,470 of 4,487
The voice or 'timbre' of your headphones is affected greatly by your chain. With my custom DAC and modified Crack (and Torpedo), I find then fairly natural.

And, while this is a value judgement and very subjective, I sold my LCDv2, will be selling my custom HE-5, and likely my custom fully balanced gear because I fine the T90 with the right chain very very detailed, dynamic and satisfying. So yea, I think it's a great value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back