beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Aug 22, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #406 of 1,963
Hi,

That's exactly how I hear them. The T70 has a thinner midrange than the T5p. The T5p's midrange is quite forward and is lush. I love it!

Quote:
Vocals are pretty damn forward on the T5p.  The T70p has thinner and lighter sound.

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #408 of 1,963
Quote:
Vocals are pretty damn forward on the T5p.  The T70p has thinner and lighter sound.

Could it be something with the soundstage playing my ears a trick?

I agree that T70 is thinner and lighter - which I like better, but that's another story. I still hear the midrange to be placed farther backwards in the stage than bass and treble. Sometimes it feels like voices with the T5p are recorded at a lower volume than the rest of the recording. With the T70p voices are always crispy, clear and comes closer to me than the toprange and bottomrange. 

I have also noticed another thing. When I use the crossfeed settings on my Meier Stagedac I can tell a clear audible difference with the T70 but with the T5p I almost can not tell any difference between the different settings. I am starting to think if the angled drivers in the T5p just does not fit my ears?

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #409 of 1,963
Quote:
Is anyone wearing the T5P with eyeglasses?  If so, how is the comfort?

Also, is the isolation and lack of sound leakage as good as the DT-770?

I wear glasses but with a very thin frame. No problems there.

I can not comment on isolation compared to DT-770 but I find that the isolation is the same as T70 - which is ok. But you can find better isolating closed headphones out there.

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #410 of 1,963
Quote:

Hmm, I think that a word might have went missing in your response.

Do you or do you not have have comfort problems with the T5P?

Ha! Yes, the key word there was "no", as in I have no issues with comfort. Very comfortable indeed, and NO problem with my glasses.

:)

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #411 of 1,963
Haha, I almost got crucified when I said these were great cans at the time when only a few people had them (not this forum), and now they seem to be getting quite a lot of praise

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #414 of 1,963
Haha, I almost got crucified when I said these were great cans at the time when only a few people had them (not this forum), and now they seem to be getting quite a lot of praise

Actually, one of the few times I've looked at that site, I saw your comment there and the mob attacking you for asking about the T5p, they were all convinced the T5p is a shrill and screaming utter failure, it's like they're 13 year olds.

Those mob mentality audiophiles are idiots.

I also like how vastly 'coloured' and spiky these are supposed to be (in contrast to flat / reference like 'real' audiophile HP's) and yet http://en.goldenears.net assess them as very flat, if you average out the FR deviances to their index at least.

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #416 of 1,963
I received my T5p in the mail yesterday, and I've been listening to them almost nonstop since.

I've been comparing them to my DT770 and D7000 headphones using a variety of music, from Tangerine Dream to OMD to the Smiths to Skrillex to Baldassare Galuppi.

Bottom line: Sad to say, but they're going back.

I wouldn't call them a bad headphone, certainly.  The amount of detail they reveal is incredible--they were certainly the best headphone among the three for listening "into" a mix.  They also probably had the widest and deepest soundstage of the three.  And, as far as comfort, I had no issues with them, even with my glasses on (the Denon still wins the award for comfort, though--but the tradeoff there is the Denon's almost utter lack of isolation).

Unfortunately, the T5p has quite a few issues (IMHO).  The main one is (as others have commented) the lack of bass.  Things like male vocals and snare drums seem to lack "weight" compared to the other two headphones, and the T5p seems completely unable to reproduce the throb of a synthetic bass the way that the DT770 and D7000 can--it almost seems like it's missing the entire lowest octave.

A second issue is that the T5p seems to impart a "boxy" quality to music.  It's was extremely noticable when switching to the T5p from either of the other headhpones.

The final (and perhaps most important issue) is the price of the T5p.  If these were $250 or even $700 headphones, I'd probably keep them, since they are very revealing. 

But for $1,400, I expect a headphone that's essentialy perfect, and these most certainly aren't.  I just can't justify spending twice as much as what I spent on the D7000 and 7 times as much as I spent on the DT770 for the T5p, which seems to be equally flawed as either of them, just flawed in a different way.

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #417 of 1,963
Hi,

The T5p's aren't bassy so that's a valid assessment on your side. I find stuff like Dubstep and Dn'B sounds good on them. Their bass is really deep and defined but does not have a love of impact or attack to it. These have only a bit more bass than the T1 and what I man is mid-bass.  I like bass but not DT770 levels of bass.

As for the price I also have to agree that they are overpriced at full retail, but I got mine for under $800 from beyerdynamic via their demo program. I don't like shelling out big money for headphones but they are worth it!

Quote:
I received my T5p in the mail yesterday, and I've been listening to them almost nonstop since.

I've been comparing them to my DT770 and D7000 headphones using a variety of music, from Tangerine Dream to OMD to the Smiths to Skrillex to Baldassare Galuppi.

Bottom line: Sad to say, but they're going back.

I wouldn't call them a bad headphone, certainly.  The amount of detail they reveal is incredible--they were certainly the best headphone among the three for listening "into" a mix.  They also probably had the widest and deepest soundstage of the three.  And, as far as comfort, I had no issues with them, even with my glasses on (the Denon still wins the award for comfort, though--but the tradeoff there is the Denon's almost utter lack of isolation).

Unfortunately, the T5p has quite a few issues (IMHO).  The main one is (as others have commented) the lack of bass.  Things like male vocals and snare drums seem to lack "weight" compared to the other two headphones, and the T5p seems completely unable to reproduce the throb of a synthetic bass the way that the DT770 and D7000 can--it almost seems like it's missing the entire lowest octave.

A second issue is that the T5p seems to impart a "boxy" quality to music.  It's was extremely noticable when switching to the T5p from either of the other headhpones.

The final (and perhaps most important issue) is the price of the T5p.  If these were $250 or even $700 headphones, I'd probably keep them, since they are very revealing. 

But for $1,400, I expect a headphone that's essentialy perfect, and these most certainly aren't.  I just can't justify spending twice as much as what I spent on the D7000 and 7 times as much as I spent on the DT770 for the T5p, which seems to be equally flawed as either of them, just flawed in a different way.

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #418 of 1,963
Quote:

Is it really missing the lowest octave? Or is it missing the impact (you are used to) in the lowest octave? 

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #420 of 1,963
Quote:

i was the first to tell this is a great headphone(on this forum, and this thread) and i don't think i got treated any better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back