beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Jan 7, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #1,921 of 1,963
well, beyerdynamic announced the new T5p Gen 2 (T5p.2 ?)

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/mobile-portable/t-5-p-2-gen.html

I don't see an MSRP, but I assume it will be the same as the T1, but who knows.

T5p Gen 2 impressions thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/793892/beyerdynamic-t5p-generation-2-impressions-thread

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #1,922 of 1,963
Looks like no removable cable, but disappointing that. They have angled the cable exit from the cups a little, and finally providing a very case for their portable can, so some nice changes. Be interested to hear them, but I doubt they'll be able to stand up to my Ether C.

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #1,923 of 1,963
Looks like no removable cable, but disappointing that. They have angled the cable exit from the cups a little, and finally providing a very case for their portable can, so some nice changes. Be interested to hear them, but I doubt they'll be able to stand up to my Ether C.

Which headphones are you talking about? The T5p.2 has a removable cable, and can run fully balanced. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #1,924 of 1,963
Which headphones are you talking about? The T5p.2 has a removable cable, and can run fully balanced. 

Thanks for that, couldn't see that detail anywhere in the link above. Nice. Even more interested to hear them now.

Jan 10, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #1,925 of 1,963
anyone here who knows how these compare to the HD800?

I have had these for two weeks and they have been impressive.

The few problem i have with them however is that they lean a bit to the bright side for my liking, and the mids are a bit too forward (so slightly) and although the treble is so natural and detailed (amazing), it still gets harsh at times.

The bass with these is just spectacular.

I am looking for an open headphones and i am thinking of the HD800, just dont know how they compare to these.

thank u

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #1,926 of 1,963
first of all , you need good amp with lots of juice to make t5p sound smooth, dynamic ...
with average gear t5p sound thin , almost no body in mids , sound is thin and treble can sound harsh ...

with an amp like beyerdynamic A1 t5p sound thick smooth and very dynamic , on the dark side and kind of lush ...
Source is important 2 ...

Comparing t5p to hd800 is night and day , t5p is laidback headphone , darker sweeter sounding , works fine with all type of music...
it sounds pleasant 8 times of 10 , but never breath taking , hd800 sounds pleasant 2 times of 10 , but it can sound breath taking, it can give you chills / gusbumps on your skin ...

Now hd800 is even more bright sounding headphone with great treble , one of the best treble out there .... few headphones can match hd800 treble , imaging and detailing is exceptional , compared to t5p , hd800 takes it on the whole new level!
Sound is very realistic , pure high-end,  hd800 really  shows you the mood of music , brings out the energy of every instrument so effortless and so true to the sound and creates atmosphere of music around your ears.

The problem with hd800 is - its even more picky with amps and dacs, and to the music you choose to play...
if you don't plan to invest 2000-3000€ on amp/dac and good cables , don't bother with hd800...
if hd800 is used in system not on the same level as hd800 it will sound boring , thin , bright , hush , weak bass , annoying  fatigue treble ...

I recommend you listen to hd800 in a hifi local store in a high end setup before buying them , this headphone is not for everyone ...

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #1,927 of 1,963
if you want a sweet sounding headphone , with lush mids and good bass , take a look at Audeze lcd-2

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #1,929 of 1,963
first of all , you need good amp with lots of juice to make t5p sound smooth, dynamic ...
with average gear t5p sound thin , almost no body in mids , sound is thin and treble can sound harsh ...

with an amp like beyerdynamic A1 t5p sound thick smooth and very dynamic , on the dark side and kind of lush ...
Source is important 2 ...

Comparing t5p to hd800 is night and day , t5p is laidback headphone , darker sweeter sounding , works fine with all type of music...
it sounds pleasant 8 times of 10 , but never breath taking , hd800 sounds pleasant 2 times of 10 , but it can sound breath taking, it can give you chills / gusbumps on your skin ...

Now hd800 is even more bright sounding headphone with great treble , one of the best treble out there .... few headphones can match hd800 treble , imaging and detailing is exceptional , compared to t5p , hd800 takes it on the whole new level!
Sound is very realistic , pure high-end,  hd800 really  shows you the mood of music , brings out the energy of every instrument so effortless and so true to the sound and creates atmosphere of music around your ears.

The problem with hd800 is - its even more picky with amps and dacs, and to the music you choose to play...
if you don't plan to invest 2000-3000€ on amp/dac and good cables , don't bother with hd800...
if hd800 is used in system not on the same level as hd800 it will sound boring , thin , bright , hush , weak bass , annoying  fatigue treble ...

I recommend you listen to hd800 in a hifi local store in a high end setup before buying them , this headphone is not for everyone ...

What a WONDERFUL comparison of the HD800 to the T 5 p. I also have both and could not have said it better.

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #1,930 of 1,963
But does it make since to compare an open back headphone for home and studio use with a closed back headphone made for portable use? The fairest comparison would be the T5p vs the Momentum 2, and HD800 vs the T1.

Jan 11, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #1,931 of 1,963
it does make sense, since the person who asked to compare those two indeed very different headphones , is not seeking advise about what is more suitable for portable use or in a main system at home.  Question was about Sound Character, and since this person owns t5p, its used as reference in order to get an idea what hd800 is.

I often read reviews, but words like " great bass "  or " amazing soundstage "  doesn't describe Sound Character much...
Only when i see a reviewer heard a headphone i have heard and what he describes is similar to what i hear , only then i continue to read direct comparison to other gear he write about.

If we don't use reference ( headphones we heard)  in order to describe headphone people haven't heard , it will be just words like "good separation"  " black background"  " airy"   but it won't mean much...
In other hand if the person heard t5p and says it sounds airy , i know whats " airy " is for that person , and can make sense of what he may say about a headphone i haven't heard ...

So it always makes sense to compare audio gear , if its about Sound Signature/Character.

P.s
i wouldn't call t5p portable anyway , i know beyerdynamic market t5p as portable headphone , but its far from it , in my opinion!
I use it in my home system only, outside it feels big and clumsy , i dislike the feel of ear pads moving when i walk and since t5p is very musical and engaging , you wanna pay attention to music, but when you outside you are distracted in many ways so its a tease and kind of pointless of having such a resolving / revealing headphone when you can't pay attention to it anyway.

I also think portable amps/dacs combos don't make t5p sing , simply not enough juice... drivers barely shaking , all sound thin and boring...

Jan 11, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #1,932 of 1,963
  I often read reviews, but words like " great bass "  or " amazing soundstage "  doesn't describe Sound Character much...
Only when i see a reviewer heard a headphone i have heard and what he describes is similar to what i hear , only then i continue to read direct comparison to other gear he write about.

And therefore i´m already looking forward reading your description between the T5p and the 2. generation... 
atsmile.gif

OMG, Beyer is on fire....

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #1,933 of 1,963
it does make sense, since the person who asked to compare those two indeed very different headphones , is not seeking advise about what is more suitable for portable use or in a main system at home.  Question was about Sound Character, and since this person owns t5p, its used as reference in order to get an idea what hd800 is.

If we don't use reference ( headphones we heard)  in order to describe headphone people haven't heard , it will be just words like "good separation"  " black background"  " airy"   but it won't mean much...
In other hand if the person heard t5p and says it sounds airy , i know whats " airy " is for that person , and can make sense of what he may say about a headphone i haven't heard ...

So it always makes sense to compare audio gear , if its about Sound Signature/Character.

P.s
i wouldn't call t5p portable anyway , i know beyerdynamic market t5p as portable headphone , but its far from it , in my opinion!
I use it in my home system only, outside it feels big and clumsy , i dislike the feel of ear pads moving when i walk and since t5p is very musical and engaging , you wanna pay attention to music, but when you outside you are distracted in many ways so its a tease and kind of pointless of having such a resolving / revealing headphone when you can't pay attention to it anyway.

I also think portable amps/dacs combos don't make t5p sing , simply not enough juice... drivers barely shaking , all sound thin and boring...

Hello. Very useful posts. Since I also own t5p and he400s and I want to change hifiman's to hd800. But one question. Can you in any way advise any portable amp for t5p. I own Aune b1, but it doesn't match. Have an idea to try a tube one Elekit hp01...
At home I use it with a 300b single end. Woks great I think...
Looking forward to buy a newly comming Aune x7 next month.

Feb 22, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #1,934 of 1,963

P.s

Hello. Very useful posts. Since I also own t5p and he400s and I want to change hifiman's to hd800. But one question. Can you in any way advise any portable amp for t5p. I own Aune b1, but it doesn't match. Have an idea to try a tube one Elekit hp01...
At home I use it with a 300b single end. Woks great I think...
Looking forward to buy a newly comming Aune x7 next month.

The SHA900 might be good since it has built in EQ. 

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #1,935 of 1,963
ipad air sounds fine with t5p, I wouldn't bother with portable amps, too much money to spend and improvement is barely there...

Just run your t5p with iPhone or iPad if you wanna take it outside , it will sound good! If you want to get 100% of t5p use a powerful desktop amp, don't try to get the best of t5p with portable amps, it's a waste of time and money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back