beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Nov 25, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #1,066 of 1,963

All systems go! Enjoy the qualities of these very nice headphones. I know I enjoy very much going back to my T5p after we've been apart for a while.

Just counting down the clock now.....
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #1,069 of 1,963
T5p goes well with all portable, the problem seems to be powerful non-portable amplifiers. The better your portable is, the better the T5p will perform, I have yet to hear a portable that is limited by the T5p. 

So pair up those portables and listen to ... probably not the most compressed recordings.

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #1,070 of 1,963
Just got a T5p a few days ago and I don't know what to think.
It is ok with the Fiio X3 but the 770/32 Ohm sounds better out of the Fiio.
The T5p is clearly the better phone but the bass is loose and there seems to be a veil on both the Fiio and my WA6(and the Bottlehead Crack for that matter).
Hope that after some burn in ( brain or otherwise)this phone will sound much better.
Very apprehensive,though!

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #1,071 of 1,963
Well, I sold my DT880s and bought the T5Ps.  They just arrived today and I couldn't be happier.  While I'm sure my ears need a little while to get used to the sound I'm quite pleased.  Everything I loved about the 880s seems to be even grander.  

Dec 18, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #1,072 of 1,963
Just got a T5p a few days ago and I don't know what to think.
It is ok with the Fiio X3 but the 770/32 Ohm sounds better out of the Fiio.
The T5p is clearly the better phone but the bass is loose and there seems to be a veil on both the Fiio and my WA6(and the Bottlehead Crack for that matter).
Hope that after some burn in ( brain or otherwise)this phone will sound much better.

Don't hold your breath. Consider trading in for a sound you like more.

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #1,074 of 1,963
I've had the T5p for about a week now, and I prefer it to my previous closed-back favorites, the ED8 and D7000.  The D7000s were loads of fun, but they leaked, and weren't ideal for semi-portable use (one of my requirements).  The mids are my favorite characteristic of these cans, and I find the bass tight while having the ability to go low (very EQ friendly in this regard).  

No complaints from the sound signature department, I only wished they clamped a bit tighter... maybe I'm just so used to the vice grip hug of my DT1350.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #1,077 of 1,963
but the bass is loose 

I think both types of burn in you mentioned were necessary for me to understand and hear the T5p quality. At first I was a little apprehensive but after almost a month I started to really understand and appreciate their signature. A decent amp and/or dac will make them shine. They truly are "open windows" and will impress if fed correctly!

I felt the same way as you in the beginning, but now after six months (and a decent source chain) I won't ever part with them. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #1,078 of 1,963
No complaints from the sound signature department, I only wished they clamped a bit tighter... maybe I'm just so used to the vice grip hug of my DT1350.  
smily_headphones1.gif

You might be one of few longing for the DT1350s comfort :wink:
Overall I find the T5p to be much more comfortable, but I would not walk around with them: tried once, gives me quite a lot of noise in the cups. Not cable noise, more my own steps moving or changing pressure within the cups -- so I think, I understand where your argument is heading...

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #1,079 of 1,963
  Glad to hear you're liking it, man!! Yeah, it's definitely not a warm, fuzzy sound-- this is a resolution and clarity monster for sure. One thing that might help with the isolation and the fit would be other pads-- I found the clear Beyer gel pads to offer the best overall sound, especially bass. They look kind of atrocious, but as long as you don't plan on entering any beauty contests while wearing 'em, they work just fine :wink:

Btw, agreed on the need for amping. I know Beyer markets these as not needing an amp, but they really do IMO. 

Anyway, keep us posted bro!!

Which pads are those? Care to point them out?
Also, have you tried any other pads or are there any other mods for these cans? (just curious)

Thanks.

Jan 12, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #1,080 of 1,963

Which pads are those? Care to point them out?
Also, have you tried any other pads or are there any other mods for these cans? (just curious)

Thanks.

Apologies for the late reply-- I've been off HF for a while. I don't believe they are available anymore, but beyerdynamic made clear gel pads that fit the T5p (an example from a closed classified is here, if it helps). They can still be found used from time to time, and if you come across a pair, I'd still recommend them-- best pads I've heard on the T5p thus far (from an admittedly small sample set, but nonetheless). And yes, I've tried the stock pads (naturally) and the J$ pads in addition to the gels. I'm having trouble finding my notes on the differences (I've changed computers since I wrote them), but as I recall the gels are the least comfortable of the three by a small margin and the ugliest of the three by a mile, but they isolate better and improve the bass response (very brief mention here). If I can find my original notes, I'll try to copy them here. 

If you have any other questions, please let me know and I'll do my best to answer them. Overall, I think they are absolutely worth the $30-or-so that they typically show up for used. Hope this was at least somewhat helpful! 

And if you have a set of T5ps, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would love to hear your thoughts on them!! 
dt880smile.png

Edit: Missed your question about other mods. The mod most commonly referenced with these is switching to a balanced cable, which at least three companies (BTG-Audio, Moon Audio, and Jaben-- but Jaben won't do the mod by itself, you have to buy new cans fully modded) offer. The consensus, such as it is, appears to be universally positive, and I plan on having BTG mod mine as well at some point. There might be other mods, but I'm either unaware of them or unable to recall them at the moment :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back