beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Sep 8, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #316 of 1,963
So, for those guys with both ED8 and T5p, do you think ED8 is considerably better? Is there any closed headphone which can be driven by a portable rig yet better than both? Thanks.

can't personally recommend T5p. Looking at innerfidelity measurements of ED8 - it doesn't look like buying it is a good idea... :D ... at all. (pretty horrid bass distortion and roll-off)

I wouldn't buy either without a showroom lol... Or a meet. Go to your local meet and hope for the best :wink: ? Or try to organize a mini meet with someone in your city who has either or both.

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #317 of 1,963

Quote:
So, for those guys with both ED8 and T5p, do you think ED8 is considerably better? Is there any closed headphone which can be driven by a portable rig yet better than both? Thanks.

I owned the ed.8's for some time and sold them because I couldn't get over the pronounced warmth and the hyperbolic emphasis on bass, these are not even close to a natural sound signature, which is my preference. In all the other areas, except soundstage (which is kind of small) the ed.8's do well, but they are shiny (even the palladium) and draw a lot of attention if you wear them outside. Their looks make a good analogy to their sound, bling and baroque.

The t5p's on the other hand are more neutral, natural, definitely not for bassheads - a category the ed.8's serve quite well -, I find their soundstage and imaging superior, as well as their clarity/definition, overall a more balanced and better headphone. In regards to their looks, I love them, their built quality is on par to the ed.8's but they are understated, stealthy, classic and don't look like bling at all, I wear them all the time in the subway/street and with so many beats around, not a single head turns. 

Neither of the two are perfect, but my recommendation easily goes to the Beyers. As for a portable closed that does this well, none at this level. I was extremely impressed with the shure srh940's, these would be my next choice, again, not for bassheads. Here is my closed "portable" can chart:

1. Beyerdynamic T5p
2. Shure SRH-940
3. Beyerdynamic T70p
4. Ultrasone Edition 8
5. Beyerdynamic DT-1350
6. Sony Z1000
7. Audio Technica ESW-10

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #318 of 1,963
the T5p has never sounded rolloff or muddled to my ears b4...
it synergies well with the BCL at low gain...
and very wide sounding on the LDmk3.

On high gain, the T5p tends to shine on the music like a halogen lite...
sometimes i use the word "clarion" on it. This can give an impression of a more hall-ish presentation.

There was a time when i was comparing the T5p with the fisher003 n the dt770...
over a particular passage on a classical piece...
the T5p never failed to let me hear "more" into the music.

Hmmm...i would say matching of gears for the T5p is wat will make/break this can.
yes, and the t5p is fine with an ipad....lol.
deadhorse.gif

Sep 15, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #319 of 1,963

Quote:
1. Beyerdynamic T5p
2. Shure SRH-940
3. Beyerdynamic T70p
4. Ultrasone Edition 8
5. Beyerdynamic DT-1350
6. Sony Z1000
7. Audio Technica ESW-10

I agree with this list, I was also very impressed with the SRH-940 and I personally put them above the Edition 8, and I put T5p at the top!

Can someone help me here, is $750 for a used T5p with no warranty and a deep scratch on one side a good price?

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #320 of 1,963
yes...just make another scratch on the other cup to balance it off.
tongue.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #326 of 1,963

Yeah I'm satisfied getting them for that price, a scratch? oh well at least I can take them outside now without fretting :p

I saw your listing and noted it was a different serial number, so I won't be using the model with terrible harmonic distortion or whatever it was haha.

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #327 of 1,963

Yeah I'm satisfied getting them for that price, a scratch? oh well at least I can take them outside now without fretting :p

I saw your listing and noted it was a different serial number, so I won't be using the model with terrible harmonic distortion or whatever it was haha.

hate to tell, you but the measurements by tyll corroborate what I heard :)

In fact, he measured TWO T5ps lol.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicT5pSN2866.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicT5p.pdf

I wish you bought more stax :wink:

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #328 of 1,963

Quote:
I wish you bought more stax
wink.gif

Svyr, I own two STAX (4070 and 007) and I'm seriously considering splurging for the 009's. They are undoubtedly my preferred headphones and nothing I have heard comes close to them. However, I travel quite a lot, to the point I listen more with my portable set than with my home hi-fi or my office STAX setup. I wish that my staxen could be portable, but they are not, I even bought 001's and got the amp ultra-fat catted but they couldn't live up to the type of portability and isolation I need.

So, the T5p with all its discontents are the best pair of headphones I have heard for "portability" purpose and I believe I have heard them all. Every time a new set that comes out I buy it, and I will continue on the search for portable that can keep up with STAX. But I must say I can't complain with what I use, the sound of my portable set is mind-blowing: iPod 7th gen - CypherLabs Audio Solo - Headamp Arrow 12HE - T5p undoubtedly reproduce the best portable sound I have yet heard.

For its purpose and IMO the T5p's are the best out there. Oh, btw, I don't trust measurements, I trust my ears.

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #329 of 1,963
Well, what can I say. I'm glad you're not sensitive to the distortion?
10% is really quite audible for THD+N. (literally, when you keep saying best pair of HP, it almost makes me cry that some people who are sensitive to hearing resonance and distortion issues will buy a pair and pair the RRP. Combined with the R shaped fr in the bass region (giant roll off that you will claim amounts to excellent clarity) these are by far the most overpriced and poor sounding HP I've owned (and I have thankfully forgone ultrasone))

And perceived distortion was the reason I sold my pair (unfortunately/fortunately? I was one of the first people to get a pair). But you know, if people audition and buy them, all the best to them.

Sure they come with a felt case, and 3.5mm plug and um all that... Unfortunately the physical size prevented me from even remotely considering them for portable use.

I personally am going to try Woodified and redampened T50RP that smeggy makes next for closed HP. They seem to measure well, and have no bass roll-off/a reasonably pleasing FR.

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #330 of 1,963
high roll offs.....
eek.gif

mistaken as excellent clarity..
tongue_smile.gif

And the measurements...
deadhorse.gif

I guess thats the fun of headfi....we all hear differently.
cheers to us all..let have another glass of beer!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back