Beyerdynamic T1 Purchasing + Pairing Advice
Jan 6, 2012 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

1audioz

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've spent the past year and a half or so enjoying listening to powered studio monitors and portable cans here and there and now I am seriously planning of returning to the full-size cans game.

At the moment, I have the Beyerdynamic T1 on my wishlist as I've been thoroughly impressed by the impressions posted on Headfonia. References to Audio-technica-like sound signature with a bit more body is precisely what I've been looking for.

I understand that these Tesla drivers are incredibly power hungry so I thought I'd ask around here for any pointers for amp/source matching. 

I am running an ASUS Essence STX as my primary headphones + studio monitors source right now and I was wondering if the integrated headphone amp has enough power and/or gain to power the Beyerdynamic T1?

This considered, I am tossing between a tube Woo Audio WA2 (warmth, but tubes wear out) or solid state amp such as a Schiit Valhalla/Lyr or Meier Audio Corda Classic. 

Thanks. 

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #3 of 50
I am currently running an Beyerdynamic T1 on a simple Cmoy (lm4562, gain 2, 12v) and it works well, i guess the Xonar Stx will work even better. The T1 hast a good efficency, better than dt880 250 ohm for example.

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 50
The Built-In Amp of the STX is a little harsh, i recommend you to use an external amp (at best with 0 ohm output impedance) at the rca out of the stx.
The differences are subtle, but they are there.

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 50
I have the Corda Classic + T1 combo, and think it sounds great, just remember the Classic was built around the T1. Not to mention when I pair the Classic with my SRH840's it brings them to another level. With the classic I feel like Im getting the most out of my SRH840's but not my T1's. The sound with T1 is very good, but I prefer it from a tube amp. For the price I don't think you can do any better unless you want to spend more, I do think it's the best SS amp in the price range.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 50

Quote:
Hey guys,

I've spent the past year and a half or so enjoying listening to powered studio monitors and portable cans here and there and now I am seriously planning of returning to the full-size cans game.

At the moment, I have the Beyerdynamic T1 on my wishlist as I've been thoroughly impressed by the impressions posted on Headfonia. References to Audio-technica-like sound signature with a bit more body is precisely what I've been looking for.

I understand that these Tesla drivers are incredibly power hungry so I thought I'd ask around here for any pointers for amp/source matching. 

I am running an ASUS Essence STX as my primary headphones + studio monitors source right now and I was wondering if the integrated headphone amp has enough power and/or gain to power the Beyerdynamic T1?

This considered, I am tossing between a tube Woo Audio WA2 (warmth, but tubes wear out) or solid state amp such as a Schiit Valhalla/Lyr or Meier Audio Corda Classic. 

Thanks. 

Well, you did not state your budget, so  Iam just going to recommend the best you can get - Decware CSP2 or Woo Audio WA2. Unbelievable sound with WA2. When I switched from mu Burson HA-160D to WA2 it was like a totally new headphone. 

Quote:
What about the Beyerdynamic Tesla T5p Portable headphones?

These are not any less power hungry than T1s.

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 50
For around $1k, the best amp I've heard the T1s one (regardless of SS or tubes) was the WA2. Definitely a fantastic and synergistic combination.

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #8 of 50

Quote:
For around $1k, the best amp I've heard the T1s one (regardless of SS or tubes) was the WA2. Definitely a fantastic and synergistic combination.

+1

i currently own the combo and its just one of the best amps for the T1. 

its synergy is just amazing, really shows you what the T1 can do. if you can buy a WA2, definitely do so.

Jan 8, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #9 of 50

Quote:

Let me ask a question here and mix it up just a bit.  I have listened to the T1 and preferred it over the HD800 and HE-6 (not properly driven however) and plan to audition the two Audeze offerings in the near future.  My budget is 3.5k total for phones/amp/recabling/tube upgrades.  Would you choose the LCD-3/WA2, WA22/LCD-2, WA2/T1 or WA22/T1 and with what cable and/or tube upgrades if appropriate?  Thanks for the input!

Jan 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 50

Quote:
Let me ask a question here and mix it up just a bit.  I have listened to the T1 and preferred it over the HD800 and HE-6 (not properly driven however) and plan to audition the two Audeze offerings in the near future.  My budget is 3.5k total for phones/amp/recabling/tube upgrades.  Would you choose the LCD-3/WA2, WA22/LCD-2, WA2/T1 or WA22/T1 and with what cable and/or tube upgrades if appropriate?  Thanks for the input!

Tough call. So I guess the LCD-3/WA22 is out of the question?
evil_smiley.gif
Failing that...I'd go LCD-2/WA22.

Jan 8, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #11 of 50
The 22/LCD-3 bone stock does push me over budget.  If getting right down to it I'm sure I could squeeze the extra 400 bucks but would have to go with stock tubes and cable.  With the other, I would have a bit of room for some upgrades.  In your experience would the bone stock LCD-3/WA22 combo be preferable to a LCD-2/WA22 with upgraded tubes and/or cabling? I figure the upgraded tubes from Woo add about 550 bucks and a 15ft long Silver Dragon is another $350.  Add a little tax and shipping and I'm about 1k above the component costs.

Jan 8, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #13 of 50
That's a tough call. Not having heard the LCD-3's but still thinking they're hugely over priced, I'd personally go T1/WA2. Law of diminishing returns harder with the LCD-3'a and WA22. If you're stretching your budget, probably means you could find a lot of other great uses for the extra cash. But that's just me.

Quote:

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #15 of 50

Quote:
There have been a few lcd-3 in the FS/FT forums I've seen, maybe you can swing a deal and get upgraded toobs?

I hadn't considered going the used route, but I certainly would consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back