Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Sep 2, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #271 of 1,824
I do simply not understand why people see 32 Ohm drivers as inferior to 600 Ohm? As if a 32 Ohm driver is lower quality. I have tried plenty of low impedance headphones that sounds better than high impedance, better, speedier, faster, punchier, higher resolution etc has nothin gto do with impedance. Also high impedance is not the only drivers that scales well with good amplifiers. A low impedance headphone can benefit just as well with good amplifier pairing.
I always went with beyerdynamics because they had such high impedance headphones. I feel like that is one of beyers true identities. Every lower impedance headphones i tried from them always sucked. The higher impedance ones were always stunning, bright, full of detail, and had huge sound stage. If it truly is better then the 1990/T1 Gen 2 i will definitely think about it.
Only now all i am also worried about my amp choice i want to pair with them to bring out every detail. And if my amp will blow apart the drivers. :pensive:

Sep 2, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #272 of 1,824
I always went with beyerdynamics because they had such high impedance headphones. I feel like that is one of beyers true identities. Every lower impedance headphones i tried from them always sucked. The higher impedance ones were always stunning, bright, full of detail, and had huge sound stage. If it truly is better then the 1990/T1 Gen 2 i will definitely think about it.
Only now all i am also worried about my amp choice i want to pair with them to bring out every detail. And if my amp will blow apart the drivers. :pensive:
You profile picture is a bit misleading at first glance - Looks like you're an official Beyerdynamic account.

Sep 2, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #274 of 1,824
Because the motivation is suspect. It would be one thing if Beyer switched to 32 ohm drivers because they were superior. But doing it to cater to mobile or lower power device usage flies counter to the logic of a TOTL headphone - especially when they already had a mobile-friendly flagship, the T5.

Also, Beyer was clearly using 600 ohm drivers for a reason, whether due to desirable performance or sound characteristics. Not only that, people who built systems around the previous gen will likely need to reconsider their chain to accommodate the lower impedance. Just because low impedance drivers can scale with good amps doesn't mean they will work with the same amps.

Do you understand now?

Yes, I surely follow that reasoning. I also hope Beyerdynamic will stand their ground in pursuing high end sound and not "consumer" oriented stuff. But if I know the company rightly, I do think they would not fall into that pit (even though the headphone-market has changed significantly since T1 originally came out). Beyerdynamic has a huge professional market as well and having FLAG-ship models in the market is important to drive sales in both their pro and consumer markets.

Sep 2, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #275 of 1,824
The T1's always had good imaging and soundstage. The most important question is .... is the damn treble peak gone! If it's still there, these are pointless.

The T1 and T1 V2 both have a horrible peak around 6K that can be absolutely brutal. We call it Mt. Beyer because a lot of their headphones have it and they never get rid of it. The only explanation is that the lead engineer is deaf.
With your history with Beyer, probably be best to wait and hear a pair before buying.
I do simply not understand why people see 32 Ohm drivers as inferior to 600 Ohm? As if a 32 Ohm driver is lower quality. I have tried plenty of low impedance headphones that sounds better than high impedance, better, speedier, faster, punchier, higher resolution etc has nothin gto do with impedance. Also high impedance is not the only drivers that scales well with good amplifiers. A low impedance headphone can benefit just as well with good amplifier pairing.
Also keep in mind a lot of people bought tube amps to use with the high impedance of the Beyer, that may not play well with the 32 ohm.
Because the motivation is suspect. It would be one thing if Beyer switched to 32 ohm drivers because they were superior. But doing it to cater to mobile or lower power device usage flies counter to the logic of a TOTL headphone - especially when they already had a mobile-friendly flagship, the T5.
Exactly !

Also, Beyer was clearly using 600 ohm drivers for a reason, whether due to desirable performance or sound characteristics. Not only that, people who built systems around the previous gen will likely need to reconsider their chain to accommodate the lower impedance. Just because low impedance drivers can scale with good amps doesn't mean they will work with the same amps.
One of my first thoughts also.
New T1 3gen ou AK T1P with new design ?
Makes one wonder !

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #276 of 1,824
Price is a bit too much. I will wait for them to drop a bit. Fresh Beyers are always expensive. I'm interested if anyone can compare them to $700 Ananda. Different headphones but still.

Sep 2, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #277 of 1,824
Just got them in. First impressions on build is it’s better, feels more solid and well put together than the gen 2. Also more clamp than I ever remember the gen 2 having, reminds me of the DT 1990 clamp, whereas the gen 2 always felt more like the Amiron Home levels of clamp, the side padding above the plastic yoke clasps on the headband is also less which is a good thing as I felt the gen 2 had too much there, so definitely different headband in appearance, clamp, and internal padding. Pads seem to be the same. The color scheme is darker in person and I quite like how they look. About to listen to them. First impressions is the headphone is definitely darker in the treble with more body and bass slam.

9C060C00-6CB2-4EB1-9E0F-5DD4C373F060.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #278 of 1,824
Just got them in. First impressions on build is it’s better, feels more solid and well put together than the gen 2. Also more clamp than I ever remember the gen 2. The color scheme is darker in person and I quite like how they look. About to listen to them. First impressions is the headphone is definitely darker in the treble with more body and bass slam.

Look forward to your impressions. Not a fan of the new grill, but perhaps it looks better in real life. Would you be good enough to confirm the 3rd gen takes the same cable as 2nd gen (i.e., dual 3.5mm)? Thanks.

Sep 2, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #279 of 1,824
Look forward to your impressions. Not a fan of the new grill, but perhaps it looks better in real life. Would you be good enough to confirm the 3rd gen takes the same cable as 2nd gen (i.e., dual 3.5mm)? Thanks.

Cable is exactly the same as the gen 2 and uses the same connectors. I'm not sure which grill I like more yet. I have to go pretty soon so will only have a few minutes to listen to them until a couple hours later.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #280 of 1,824
Cable is exactly the same as the gen 2 and uses the same connectors. I'm not sure which grill I like more yet. I have to go pretty soon so will only have a few minutes to listen to them until a couple hours later.
That's good news about the cable, thanks. I definitely prefer the design of 2nd gen, but how they sound is what matters.

Sep 2, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #281 of 1,824
Just got them in. First impressions on build is it’s better, feels more solid and well put together than the gen 2. Also more clamp than I ever remember the gen 2 having, reminds me of the DT 1990 clamp, whereas the gen 2 always felt more like the Amiron Home levels of clamp, the side padding above the plastic yoke clasps on the headband is also less which is a good thing as I felt the gen 2 had too much there, so definitely different headband in appearance, clamp, and internal padding. Pads seem to be the same. The color scheme is darker in person and I quite like how they look. About to listen to them. First impressions is the headphone is definitely darker in the treble with more body and bass slam.

What AMP/DAC are you using? Also more in-depth comparison against the DT1990 will be cool.

Sep 2, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #283 of 1,824
Further listening seems to confirm that the midrange is more present and fuller with more physical presence, the treble is darker, and the overall sound has more meat and substance to it, this is not the old-school Beyer sound by any means. It's still a bit early so I won't say anything for sure as I still need to break them in and try them on more gear. But these are the darkest Tesla Beyer I've heard but also seem to have the most prominent midrange as both male and female vocals have real presence to them. I'm not finding the fidelity less than the gen 2 and yes the imaging is fantastic. I will have to spend a lot more time to get a better handle on the subtleties of the sound and to notice any flaws and to help eliminate any new toy syndrome going on, but if impressions keep favorable like this, this will be my favorite headphone.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #284 of 1,824
Further listening seems to confirm that the midrange is more present and fuller with more physical presence, the treble is darker, and the overall sound has more meat and substance to it, this is not the old-school Beyer sound by any means. It's still a bit early so I won't say anything for sure as I still need to break them in and try them on more gear. But these are the darkest Tesla Beyer I've heard but also seem to have the most prominent midrange as both male and female vocals have real presence to them. I'm not finding the fidelity less than the gen 2 and yes the imaging is fantastic. I will have to spend a lot more time to get a better handle on the subtleties of the sound and to notice any flaws and to help eliminate any new toy syndrome going on, but if impressions keep favorable like this, this will be my favorite headphone.
Eek. Sounds like I'm going to give them a pass. I already found the T1 2nd gen way too mid-forward with a rolled-off treble. Anything darker is not for me. I suspect the T5p 3rd gen will follow the trend of the T1. Thanks for the impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back