Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Sep 2, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #286 of 1,833
Eek. Sounds like I'm going to give them a pass. I already found the T1 2nd gen way too mid-forward with a rolled-off treble. Anything darker is not for me. I suspect the T5p 3rd gen will follow the trend of the T1. Thanks for the impressions.

I never found the T1.2 that mid-forward in fact it's a bit recessed imho, especially compared to an HD 600/650/660 S. The T1.3 seems to shift more in the direction of the Senns in terms of tuning.

Sep 2, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #287 of 1,833
How about the transient? , still the Beyer style silk-like "release"?

Attack-Decay-Sustain-Release-ADSR-stages-of-sound-projection-in-time.png

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #288 of 1,833
I never found the T1.2 that mid-forward in fact it's a bit recessed imho, especially compared to an HD 600/650/660 S. The T1.3 seems to shift more in the direction of the Senns in terms of tuning.
This is very interesting. I might have to blind buy myself a pair. The fact that you think they are dark is really interested me now.

Sep 2, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #289 of 1,833
Lower mids especially to my ears are too accented on the 2nd gen. But I'm "mid sensitive" so others may be more tolerant. In any case, 2nd gen was my threshold in terms of being bloomy, so 3rd gen is likely not for me. I'm a fan of the 600ohm DT990 for reference. Old school...

Sep 2, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #290 of 1,833
Better to use actual frequency ranges since not everyone has the same idea of what mids are. Beyers tend to be recessed somewhere in the 1-5kHz range depending on model, which the T1 2nd gen certainly were. But the actual mids had a definite warm tilt, bordering on bloat to my ears.

Modern incarnations of the HD 6xx series tend to be slightly forward centered around 5kHz and the presence region in general, which I assume is what you're referring to.

Sep 2, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #291 of 1,833
How about the transient? , still the Beyer style silk-like decay?

It's still a Beyer in terms of decay and transients, that's what I always loved about Beyers their decay and their transients.

Lower mids especially to my ears are too accented on the 2nd gen. But I'm "mid sensitive" so others may be more tolerant. In any case, 2nd gen was my threshold in terms of being bloomy, so 3rd gen is likely not for me. I'm a fan of the 600ohm DT990 for reference. Old school...

Ah okay, yeah the T1.2 may be the better fit for you.

Better to use actual frequency ranges since not everyone has the same idea of what mids are. Beyers tend to be recessed somewhere in the 1-5kHz range depending on model, which the T1 2nd gen certainly were. But the actual mids had a definite warm tilt, bordering on bloat to my ears.

Modern incarnations of the HD 6xx series tend to be slightly forward centered around 5kHz and the presence region in general, which I assume is what you're referring to.

There seems to be more presence in the middle/middle-upper mids in the headphone. Sadly I don't have an HD 6xx series to directly compare. I'll have to listen to some FR sweeps compared to the T1.2 to see what exactly changed.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #292 of 1,833
Can someone provide graphs already ?

Sep 2, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #293 of 1,833
Eek. Sounds like I'm going to give them a pass. I already found the T1 2nd gen way too mid-forward with a rolled-off treble. Anything darker is not for me. I suspect the T5p 3rd gen will follow the trend of the T1. Thanks for the impressions.

Same here, if it's "darker" I will pass. Based on the early impressions they seem to be quite similar to the AKT1P that I was hoping to upgrade for something 32ohm brighter. My next hope is if AK releases a new AKT1P based on the T1.3 for which it would sound brighter...but I won't hold my breath. Mass market appeal is bassier and darker sound.

Sep 2, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #294 of 1,833
Just got them in. First impressions on build is it’s better, feels more solid and well put together than the gen 2. Also more clamp than I ever remember the gen 2 having, reminds me of the DT 1990 clamp, whereas the gen 2 always felt more like the Amiron Home levels of clamp, the side padding above the plastic yoke clasps on the headband is also less which is a good thing as I felt the gen 2 had too much there, so definitely different headband in appearance, clamp, and internal padding. Pads seem to be the same. The color scheme is darker in person and I quite like how they look. About to listen to them. First impressions is the headphone is definitely darker in the treble with more body and bass slam.

9C060C00-6CB2-4EB1-9E0F-5DD4C373F060.jpeg
This actually looks way better than what I was expecting from the sales pics.
Your description of the tuning sounds very appealing too. Arh nuts...I thought I was out!
*runs back to his HE500*

Sep 2, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #295 of 1,833
This actually looks way better than what I was expecting from the sales pics.
Your description of the tuning sounds very appealing too. Arh nuts...I thought I was out!
*runs back to his HE500*

The grill is actually a darker gray than even my picture seems to show, something about pictures makes the grill look lighter than it is. I actually really like it's appearance in person and the shades of the colors blend better together in person. My full early impressions will be later once I get a really good handle of it's sound.

Sep 2, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #297 of 1,833
I don't care wether openback or closed, just don't want the painfull "Sss" going through my brain lol.
Still hard for me to decide wether going for T1 or T5. No one has the T5 yet? Only T1?

Sep 3, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #299 of 1,833
No reviews, no measurements... Beyer should have send these to reviewers before release.
Indeed. Beyer is no longer really underrated and unknown, they made a big name too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back