Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Sep 1, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #256 of 1,833
I hope you are right. I've been burned one too many times by Beyer to trust that they know how elevated or not treble should be. The treble on the 177X Go is good but I feel that Massdrop's tuners made that happen and own there own, Beyer can't help but turn up the treble dial because someone calling the shots is not treble sensitive and thinks it makes the headphones sound more detailed. If you can, please get the headphones to someone who can post measurements.
I would wait for a variety of impressions. For whatever reason, Beyer treble seems to fly under the radar of certain, let's call them "sonic tastes".

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #257 of 1,833
This makes it hard for me to jump into the 1.3 from the 1.2 as I already find the 1.2 as warm as I care to go. I am interested in the improved sound stage but warmer not for my taste. The 1.2 is already a warm headphone by any standard.

Hard to say that it is "warmer" per say after one recording, but it could be the reduction of the treble peak and slightly more impactful bass (though equally tight...if not more detailed than before). The sound staging and quickness are quite a bit better too. There are a few spots on the track "Cinema Paridiso" where the female vocals can cause me to go a bit cross eyed with brighter headphones, but now twice through this recording and all I hear is extension and smoothness at the same time. So far I am very impressed after several days with them.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #258 of 1,833
I would wait for a variety of impressions. For whatever reason, Beyer treble seems to fly under the radar of certain, let's call them "sonic tastes".

The T1.1 had a 10kHz peak no doubt, but to my ears, it was much less problematic than the 6kHz one on the HD800. Not a whole lot happening at 10kHz; 6kHz however could make me go a bit cross eyed.

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #260 of 1,833
Call me crazy but I actually found the T1.2 treble to be more unpleasant than the T1. I'll wait and see measurements to see if this has finally been fixed.

I heard it the other way. That said, could also be reflective of the music/gear used being different.

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #262 of 1,833
I heard it the other way. That said, could also be reflective of the music/gear used being different.

I've heard two different sounding T1.2's, one was far brighter than the other, though the bright one could of been a lemon so to speak as three other T1.2's I heard were rather warm with some energy in the upper regions.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #263 of 1,833
Over the years I sold my T1.2 to go to a T1.1 (high serial#) because I wanted a brighter sound. I also sold my T5.2 for a AKT5.1 which is ultra bright and I love it. I also kept my AKT1P (which is 32ohm) that is darker and bassier than T1.1 and T1.2, I have a feeling the T1.3 must be quite similar to the AKT1P, if anyone would be able to compare AKT1P vs T1.3 I would be very interested in such comparison. That's the one I would potentially trade if the T1.3 is better.

Sep 2, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #264 of 1,833
ETA autumn 2020
same MSRP/UVP

32 Ohms
No other details yet

"T1 3rd Edition

Beyerdynamic has decided to produce a new top-of-the-line headphone. In contrast to previous topmodels this one will have a 32 Ohm impedance. So it also can be driven directly from your smartphone or portable player. Unfortunately pictures are not available yet. If all goes well this phone will be available by the beginning of the autumn. We do take pre-orders so If interested, please drop us a mail."

https://www.porta-fi.com/beyerdynamic-unveils-its-3rd-gen-t1-and-t5/#

Sep 2, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #266 of 1,833
I pray it's good, so i can finally stop buying headphones. Although as everyone else, I'm worried at the impendence being 32 ohm .. what the hell is up with that? I'd be happy with 250 ohm if they lowered it but not 32.

I do simply not understand why people see 32 Ohm drivers as inferior to 600 Ohm? As if a 32 Ohm driver is lower quality. I have tried plenty of low impedance headphones that sounds better than high impedance, better, speedier, faster, punchier, higher resolution etc has nothin gto do with impedance. Also high impedance is not the only drivers that scales well with good amplifiers. A low impedance headphone can benefit just as well with good amplifier pairing.

Sep 2, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #267 of 1,833
I think it has to do with Beyer’s past history of taking headphones which were originally designed with a dampening factor of 600 ohms and then bumping them down to 250 and 32. When you only change the impedance of the original drivers you effectively end up with poorer sound quality...which is evident when comparing the DT770, DT880 as well as the DT990 with their lower ohm brethren.
Then again if this is an all new driver then there’s absolutely no reason why it wouldn’t smoke the old guard. Sound quality does not necessarily stem from a high dampening factor - sure it can help things along...but yeah..this is of course coming from a guy who adores his measly 38 ohm HE-500:p

Still crossing my fingers for a complete lack of the über-treble.

Sep 2, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #268 of 1,833
Sep 2, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #269 of 1,833
I do simply not understand why people see 32 Ohm drivers as inferior to 600 Ohm? As if a 32 Ohm driver is lower quality. I have tried plenty of low impedance headphones that sounds better than high impedance, better, speedier, faster, punchier, higher resolution etc has nothin gto do with impedance. Also high impedance is not the only drivers that scales well with good amplifiers. A low impedance headphone can benefit just as well with good amplifier pairing.
Because the motivation is suspect. It would be one thing if Beyer switched to 32 ohm drivers because they were superior. But doing it to cater to mobile or lower power device usage flies counter to the logic of a TOTL headphone - especially when they already had a mobile-friendly flagship, the T5.

Also, Beyer was clearly using 600 ohm drivers for a reason, whether due to desirable performance or sound characteristics. Not only that, people who built systems around the previous gen will likely need to reconsider their chain to accommodate the lower impedance. Just because low impedance drivers can scale with good amps doesn't mean they will work with the same amps.

Do you understand now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back