Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Sep 1, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #241 of 1,833
Nice, I'm waiting for you to post. Very interested myself. If it truly is better then gen 2 and the DT1990 as Macedonian mentioned. I can look past 32ohm. Maybe end game for me too.

Yeah, I should be able to tell pretty quick how it compares. I don't mind the impedance personally, always cared more about the sound quality and a lower impedance will just make it easier to work with. Planning on powering it through a Lyr 3/Bifrost 2 combo.

Sep 1, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #243 of 1,833
I always felt that both the T1.1 and T1.2's bass was slightly under what I would like (like other Germanic TOTL headphones, say like the HD800/800S or HEDDphones). After having the T1.3 since this weekend for an upcoming review, I can now say that they hit the nail on the head. Real life has bass, and why shouldn't your audio gear reflect this? No it's not TH-900 or Z1R overly inflated bass, but it is at a far more natural and enjoyable level to my ears. They are slightly warmer overall too, but I would have expected this warmth would take away from their sense of air and space as it has typically in the past with other headphones. Surprisingly, beyerdyanamics improved that too! Their ability to cast both a wide and deep sound stage is very impressive!

I can now use them on systems that aren't part of my main rig. The 32 ohm impedance and corresponding efficiency has them sounding great out of my FiiO M11 Pro or pretty much any other portable unit I've thrown at them (including my iPhone). That said, things to kick up several notches when I plug them into my Chord Hugo 2 or DAVE.

More to come...but it's gonna be really hard to send these back! :wink:

Will you be comparing these to the Focal Clears?

Sep 1, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #246 of 1,833
So, how bad is the treble peak? You know it's going to be there.

From what I gather it isn't really there on the recent TYGR 300 R and DT 177X Go. And the T1.3 has a similar front damping to those headphones it seems so the treble spike may finally be addressed. I have the gen T1.2 which does have a bit of a spike, treble is good quality but I do notice it on some tracks, will be quite obvious to tell if it's on the gen 3 or not when I get them in.

Sep 1, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #247 of 1,833
Sep 1, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #248 of 1,833
Ordered a pair directly from Beyer, should have it in a couple days. Will be comparing it to the 2nd Gen. Hoping it's a true improvement on the Gen 2 because if so that would without question make this my endgame headphone.
Kmann, could you, please, compare the new T1 against Amiron Home and DT 1990 Pro (from memory, I know that you now don't have them) and obviously against the T1 2nd?

Based on your reviews and comments, I have a DT 1990 Pro and an Amiron Home. I keep both because depending on the music and my mood, I use one or another. If the new T1 fusions the highlights of the two (Like I remember you said about the T1 2nd), I will sell them and buy the T1.

Thank you and sorry my english :sweat:

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #249 of 1,833
From what I gather it isn't really there on the recent TYGR 300 R and DT 177X Go. And the T1.3 has a similar front damping to those headphones it seems so the treble spike may finally be addressed. I have the gen T1.2 which does have a bit of a spike, treble is good quality but I do notice it on some tracks, will be quite obvious to tell if it's on the gen 3 or not when I get them in.

The 177X Go only sound good because the developers at Massdrop have ears and forced Beyer to make changes. I don't trust Beyer on their own to not murder my ears with ice picks. Are Germans deaf or something?

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #250 of 1,833
Kmann, could you, please, compare the new T1 against Amiron Home and DT 1990 Pro (from memory, I know that you now don't have them) and obviously against the T1 2nd?

Based on your reviews and comments, I have a DT 1990 Pro and an Amiron Home. I keep both because depending on the music and my mood, I use one or another. If the new T1 fusions the highlights of the two (Like I remember you said about the T1 2nd), I will sell them and buy the T1.

Thank you and sorry my english :sweat:

I can make references to them, I do remember how the DT 1990 and Amiron Home sound quite well as I spent a lot of time with them.

The 177X Go only sound good because the developers at Massdrop have ears and forced Beyer to make changes. I don't trust Beyer on their own to not murder my ears with ice picks. Are Germans deaf or something?

Don't forget Sennheiser is German. Honestly the T1.2 has the best treble of all the Tesla Beyers I've heard, the Amiron Home is a bit sharper and brighter, and the DT 1990 is brighter than the Amiron Home. I actually found the treble tolerable on all three but the DT 1990 is at times too much. I always got more fatigue from the HD 600/650/660 S than the current Tesla Beyers and it's the main reason I don't own the Senns anymore despite liking their sound. Not everyone perceives the treble the same way and Beyers in my experience are very system sensitive when it comes to treble, the tesla Beyers have never been close to treble murder to my ears whereas the DT 990, etc. was way too sharp and fatiguing.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #251 of 1,833
Listening to this recording off Qobuz tonight with the T1.3 and the wide enveloping sound staging is a pure joy!

KatherineJenkins_CinemaParadiso.jpg

A bit warmer than the T1.2 (which for me is a good thing) and it really gets you involved in the music. What is equally impressive is the front to back imaging. The sense of depth is off the charts good!

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #252 of 1,833
Listening to this recording off Qobuz tonight with the T1.3 and the wide enveloping sound staging is a pure joy.

A bit warmer than the T1.2 (which for me is a good thing) and it really gets you involved in the music. What is equally impressive is the front to back imaging. The sense of depth is off the charts good!

The T1's always had good imaging and soundstage. The most important question is .... is the damn treble peak gone! If it's still there, these are pointless.

The T1 and T1 V2 both have a horrible peak around 6K that can be absolutely brutal. We call it Mt. Beyer because a lot of their headphones have it and they never get rid of it. The only explanation is that the lead engineer is deaf.

See the measurements:

T1 Gen 2.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #253 of 1,833
The T1's always had good imaging and soundstage. The most important question is .... is the damn treble peak gone! If it's still there, these are pointless.

The T1 and T1 V2 both have a horrible peak around 6K that can be absolutely brutal. We call it Mt. Beyer because a lot of their headphones have it and they never get rid of it. The only explanation is that the lead engineer is deaf.

See the measurements:

T1 Gen 2.jpg

They always did have good imaging. They now have GREAT imaging. :wink:

The treble is very refined on this pair and I'm 3/4 through the album I noted without any issues whatsoever...or a hint of an issue.

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #254 of 1,833
They always did have good imaging. They now have GREAT imaging. :wink:

The treble is very refined on this pair and I'm 3/4 through the album I noted without any issues whatsoever...or a hint of an issue.

I hope you are right. I've been burned one too many times by Beyer to trust that they know how elevated or not treble should be. The treble on the 177X Go is good but I feel that Massdrop's tuners made that happen and own there own, Beyer can't help but turn up the treble dial because someone calling the shots is not treble sensitive and thinks it makes the headphones sound more detailed. If you can, please get the headphones to someone who can post measurements.

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #255 of 1,833
Listening to this recording off Qobuz tonight with the T1.3 and the wide enveloping sound staging is a pure joy!

KatherineJenkins_CinemaParadiso.jpg

This makes it hard for me to jump into the 1.3 from the 1.2 as I already find the 1.2 as warm as I care to go. I am interested in the improved sound stage but warmer not for my taste. The 1.2 is already a warm headphone by any standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back