Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro or the AKG K 701
Feb 23, 2011 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Mexter

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've read some reviews these days about these headphones but i can't choose between them.
I prefer bass music so i thought the dt770pro is a good choice. 
Yet i don't have the power to run +300 ohms i think (i use the ipod classic with Fiio E5)

So the questions are:
Is the clear and neutral sound from the AKG 701 good for bass music?
Isn't the dt770 a bit overwhelming?
and does the sound get better with perhaps a Fiio e7 or so.

i will try to find a shop to test them, bu ti wanted to hear opinions from you.

thanks.

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 17
I have Beyerdynamic DT990 660ohm Premium, I wear glasses and hurts my upper ear.
The pressure from the headband is pretty intense and I get headache from long listening.

I don't have AKG, but heard the same discomfort or even worst than Beyerdynamic.

If I compare Beyerdynamic vs Sennheiser, Sennheiser wins in ergonomic department.

Hope this helps.

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #4 of 17
FYI, my DT990 Premium 600ohm is directly connected to my iPhone 4 without the amp and it's pretty loud enough for my ears.

I may lose lot of details or may not benefit what DT990 can really do but I am satisfied so far.

I will order Ray Samuels SR71B portable amp one day when they support Credit card payment. :)

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 17
I have both the Beyer DT 770 pro (80 ohm version) and the k701.  They are almost complete opposites.  There are times when I love the 701s and times when I hate them.  They require serious support from an amp to open up.  The sound is very dry.  It is also very detailed through the sound spectrum. The sound stage is excellent.  I really like them for acoustic music.  With the amp you have they would be a waste of money.

The DT 770pro is pretty accurate but the bass is is strong and will hit with a thud.  The soundstage is narrower.  They can be fun with bass heavy music.  But I can't listen to them for more than an hour at a time.  Even with the volume pretty low they make me feel like someone has been punching me in the ear and give me headaches. They also tend to add reverb due to how closed they are.

If you really love bass try the Sony XB 500.  They are only $40 on Amazon.  They are a bit bass heavy and need equalizing at times.  For bass oriented music they are great - and they don't need to be amped.  I find them awful for some music, especially acoustic guitar and fast passages.  They are awesome for bass.  They are also supercomfortable.  You can't lose out getting a pair of these for the bass - just get another set of headphones for everything else.  You might want to check out the ATH M50 or something similar.

You say you love bass but not the kind of music.  If you love bass but listen to classical then you might be happy with the 701 with an amp.  If you listen to listen to hip hop the XB 500 is great (but I don't generally care for it with Rock because it does not do guitars well). 

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #8 of 17
I was going to get AKG 701 or 702 before my DT990 and after reading 50+ pages of discussion I picked Beyerdynamic.

Lot of people found DT990 is superior to AKG701 or even superior to Sennheiser HD650.

So that's why I ended up with DT990 Premium. DT990 has probably heavier bass than DT770, I might be wrong :)
Kaystax is right, long listening with DT990 hurts my head from the bass.

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 17
I agree that this is quite the weird comparison.  It's like deciding between a Corvette and a fully-loaded truck.  Both may cost $60,000 and they're both vehicles, but that's where the similarities end.

If you have any worries about driving the headphones, just get the DT770 32-Ohm version.  Buy, have fun, don't look back.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #12 of 17
I own both the K702 and the DT770 Pro 80s. Both are comfortable headphones. The Beyers have a tighter clamping force, so they may irritate you more when you have glasses on. I wear both headphones with glasses and have no really issues.

As for what others have said about the Beyer and AKG headphones, I mostly agree.

The 770s get tiresome from the bass. I loved them when I first got them, but the bass has literally pounded my skull into mush. Even at low volumes, that is pretty much all you hear, rumbling bass. The AKGs on the other hand will sound very thin. Very, very thin when compared to the 770s. My K702s have bass, and it goes very deep...amazingly deep, but it doesn't slam like a sub-woofer or like the 770s do. The AKGs also have this huge soundstage that makes everything sound very open and airy. sometimes it is an amazing characteristic, sometimes it sounds fake. i sort of have a love-hate relationship with both headphones. both the 770s and k702s have their strengths. neither is good for every genre. the 770s are probably more universal for different genres, if you can tolerate all the bass. in general though, i have been passing on both of them lately as i find the SHure se530s to have my preferred sound.

i also own the D4 mamba. it will drive the 770 Pro 80s. It will also drive the K702s, but neither is ideal. then again, i have never heard the so-called "ideal amp" for the K702s. they seem to sound great from my Denon receiver with a little bass EQ up 2db. but that is just me. i can only turn the D4 up to about 1 o clock with the k702s before it is too loud. and about 11 o clock with the dt770s. i can barely get to 8 o clock with my se530s and the d4.

the D4 is a nice little unit though. however, you might want to spend a little more and get the D6. It has about 3x the power of the D4 and still retains the dual DACs. I am looking to buy a D6 soon, solely for the 24bit-96kHz capabilities over USB!!!! yeah 24 bit over USB!!!!

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #13 of 17
Maybe its my lack of knowledge, I have a lot of time these days and i want to enjoy music on a higher level.
My best combination is the HD-25 with an external DJ soundcard. It has a lot of power and sounds pretty good, but i know there is more.
The thing is, i want both the headphones, I want the punchy bass and fat sound (for dubstep), but i also want the nice and clear sound wich the 701 probably has (for minimal techno, classic).
Ill get to testing headphones wen I find them.

It's good that you mentioned the D6, i will get that one or the D4 (i do'n think i need the power, but maybe I want to bes sure (nvm)).

Thanks for your help guys

Feb 24, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #14 of 17
Then get the DT880 32-Ohm.  A friend of mine bought them, and they're amazing.

Feb 26, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #15 of 17
I still have both DT990 and HD650 and i love HD650 for any kind of music i'm listening to but rap hip hop and the like are not my cup of tea. I also really like DT990 but their highs are too bright that's why they are in for sale forum for a while already. I also tried K702/1 and totally agree that without a good amp they just waste of money plus they need at least 300 hours of burn-in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back