Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread
Mar 17, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #466 of 706
Yup, poorer everything plus it suffers quite a bit from cup reverb. That's due to a lack of dampening material inside of the cups, something they don't skimp out on with DT880 and so forth.
Lazy Beyerdynamic.

May 11, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #469 of 706
Well...after some hours of searching it seems that beyerdynamics DT series is a good option (I am interested in only music, movies and stuff, not the mixing type). But I have 2 questions :
1. For the same amplifier like a FIIO E10k, which one will sound better? DT770 80 ohm or 250 ohm?
2. If one is interested in only listening music and not studio works,should he/she still go for beyer dynamics?

May 11, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #470 of 706
Guys I am kind of new to this hobby and currently have Philips 9500, HD600, Sony 7506 and just bought DT770 80ohm version. From what I read 80ohm has the deepest and most slamming bass, so I bought it. All my headphones have been burnt in 100hrs with Pan Sonic album. I am using Schiit Magni 2 amp out of my custom built PC soundcard (Realtek ALC889) as DAC. the sound is great. I don't like the toght clamp of the 770's compared to others, if I keep them I need to stratch them somehow if its possible, I know its a metal band.

The biggest issue I have with these DT770, same as I had with HD598 that I returned is that on some heavy and deep bass songs like J Cole - Nobody's Perfect and Akon - Soul Survivor when I have it 75% out of Schiit at low gain the bass is great, its deep, its impact-full, nice sound stage and all but 50sec into the song when bass is deeper it feels like 770s cannot separate vocals and bass and vocals become a bit robotic, speaking through the fan kind, if I can describe them as such, if I lower the volume its better, but when they break up the volume is not too loud, if I keep the volume and switch to less sensitive Sony 7506 the sound is a bit louder even than 770 and even more bass, 7506 reproduces bass very good and not boomy and just tight, but the vocals sound perfect now playing even louder than 770s?! Seperation is perfect! Same goes for HD600 and 9500, but obviuosly those have much less bass through them. Same thing happened with HD598 that I returned as they had more bass than HD600 but it was more distorted and muddier I thought and on a bit higher volumes voice would break up on heavy bass songs.

Now playing Metalica, Dire Straits, Alisson Kraus, Patricia Barber etc 770's have no issues and sound great.. Any thoughts or did anyone experience anything similar? I do not think its a bad driver or blown driver as so far I only noticed these issues on these two songs so far. If anyone of you have these songs and can test them on yours that would be a great test. Thank you all!

May 12, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #472 of 706
  anyone at all? so should I then return them to amazon I suppose?

I would exchange and see if it does the same.  Some times certain songs does weird things to headphones.  don't know what it is, might the frequencies that they hover around.

It also might be tracks that you have.  What are you using, flac, spotify, mp3, etc?

May 12, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #473 of 706
thanks for reply! maybe. 320 MP3s.. but only 770 and HD598 do this on these tracks my other ones I have do not like I described in the post. that's why I am a bit lost why. It just sounds to me that while producing that deep punchy bass 770s can't reproduce clear vocals at the same time on a song, Sony 7506 can even at higher volumes where bass is even louder and more dynamic on same song, HD600, 9500, all can do it fine and clear.

To add: Also, wonder if I exchange them for 250ohm ones if that would be different or not. I know 80ohm version have the most bass, to put in perspective for myself, how much less bass are 250ohm compared to 80? thanks.

May 12, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #474 of 706
The 250ohm has quality bass, meaning you can hear sub-bass also.Also bass does not interfere in any way with mids and treble freq and stay tight and focused.
Although they are 250 impedance they are not hard to drive, they have almost linear curve thru the freq. range, meaning they stay around the nominal value all the time.

May 12, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #475 of 706
interesting!! maybe that is what I need to exchange these for and see.. I did read that 250 are easy to drive, yes. so when I read that 80ohm ones have the most bass, how much will I loose if any with 250ohm? as I do love the bass on these 80ohm ones. thanks!

May 12, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #476 of 706
  interesting!! maybe that is what I need to exchange these for and see.. I did read that 250 are easy to drive, yes. so when I read that 80ohm ones have the most bass, how much will I loose if any with 250ohm? as I do love the bass on these 80ohm ones. thanks!

I've read also the 250 ohm doesn't have as much bass as the 80.
My dilemna is my Beyers seem to not have enough of the low end haha, the bass seems quiet in most of my hard hitting sounds unless I turn the sound up, which in that case the highs get too loud. I'm thinking I might need an amp? Have you tried the Beyers without your Schitt Amp? Is there a big difference?

May 22, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #478 of 706
Guys.... I have a dt770 pro 80ohm but i would like to have a shorter cable..... What would i win/loose if i switched from a 80 ohm dt770 to a 32? I dont looooove my dt770s because i uasually prefer a more punchy and exciting sound such as on the hd25 or m50x.... Is the 32 ohm dt770 any more exciting, punchy than the 80ohm one?

May 23, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #479 of 706
@PaneraiMan

I bought my DT 770 80 ohm in 2009, not sure if it makes a difference. Anyway, I haven't used them for many years and let my friend borrow them. I just got them back yesterday, and have a Schiit stack. Low Sensitivity switch, I get the same issues around 70% and up when there is bass mixed with mids and treble. Now I tried to go up to 85-90%, and I think I may have messed them up as they are clipping like crazy. Now I can't even go past 50-60% without clipping. 

I checked the specs of the DT 770 again, and it says the power handling is 100 mW?! That is seriously low! So it may be the case that these can't handle much power at all. Maybe my friend messed them up, or this is just the truth to these. Oh well.

May 23, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #480 of 706
Magni's output power being too much?
I have an old Audio-gd Compass amp, its output power is rated 3x more and no version of DT770 distorts with it at any volume level.  Your friend messed up the headphone.  It might simply need to have its cable replaced, or at worst, it needs to have its drivers replaced.
Your Magni doesn't distort with any other headphone?

Guys.... I have a dt770 pro 80ohm but i would like to have a shorter cable..... What would i win/loose if i switched from a 80 ohm dt770 to a 32? I dont looooove my dt770s because i uasually prefer a more punchy and exciting sound such as on the hd25 or m50x.... Is the 32 ohm dt770 any more exciting, punchy than the 80ohm one?

After having heard DT770-80 versus DT770-250 versus DT770-600 versus Custom One Pro, I'm beginning to suspect that with lower ohms, these Beyer drivers sound more and more mellow and Sennheiser-like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back