Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread
Dec 27, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #451 of 706

Just to follow up on this in case it misleads any prospective buyers, I did get adjusted to the Beyers and I'm now really enjoying them. One of the main culprits of the initial shock was probably the neutral upper bass. When compared to my old headphones, whose bass added some unnatural extra body to the mids, the Beyers don't do this, which prevents human voices from sounding too bassy and keeps mids clearer in general. The description of the mids as thin or hollow must have been an overstatement after having listened to such congested mids for so long. The sub-bass and mid-bass can be a bit unpredictable at times, but that's most likely due to variations in recordings or my own fault for using different hardware instead of having a dedicated amp. Personally, I don't find these bright all. If anything, the treble sounds comfortably rolled off compared to what I expected. Maybe I don't have the treble sensitivity that some people have. I'd love to hear a similar pair with slightly more sparkle in the highs and perhaps a touch more mid-bass (low enough that male vocals are not noticeably affected). Regardless, I'm happy with how versatile this pair is. The sub-bass and clarity of speech makes them great for movies, while still being highly enjoyable for mid-centric music like jazz.

With that said, there are some rumours that putting the DT 1770's pleather pads on the DT 770 yields good sonic results. I hope to hear more about that, because I do find the stock velours to be a little firm and itchy. On that note, what do you glasses wearers do to prevent indentations in the pads from the temples of the glasses? Does it cause long-term damage to the pads?

Edit: The VERY loud knocking noise that the adjustable part of the headband where the right earcup attaches is concerning though. I know about minor creaking noises, which mine also do make, but this loud pop happens when the metal bar holding the right earcup is rotated (along the axis of the bar itself, not at the normal hinge). When they're twisted slightly and then they realign when I put the headphones on my head, it sounds like they're going to break. Has anybody else experienced this?

Dec 31, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #452 of 706
Ending 2015 with some DT770-love! Happy New Year everybody!

beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #453 of 706
I just got a pair of these headphones and  they feel a bit cheap (!). One of the cupholders is bent differently compared to the other so I got to wear them with left cup over right ear to fit comfortably. Cant comment on the sound yet as I need to burn them in overnight.

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #454 of 706
  Edit: The VERY loud knocking noise that the adjustable part of the headband where the right earcup attaches is concerning though. I know about minor creaking noises, which mine also do make, but this loud pop happens when the metal bar holding the right earcup is rotated (along the axis of the bar itself, not at the normal hinge). When they're twisted slightly and then they realign when I put the headphones on my head, it sounds like they're going to break. Has anybody else experienced this?

Yes, thats a problem with the extension mechanism... It won't break (according to my own experience at least) and should stay silent after positioning them on your head. This was corrected with the updated extension mechanism used in the DT1770...

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #455 of 706
I've never noticed that creaking issue in my DT770pro-250 or the DT770pro-80 I had before it or any of the many DT770s I've repaired for other people. Maybe the screws aren't tight enough?
Those plastic headband end blocks that allow adjustment consist of two halves plus a little plastic clip of sorts that is on each cup fork, that is what allows the cups to lock into positions, maybe that clip needs a bit of WD40?

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #456 of 706
Thanks for the responses.

I found an old thread from 2006 in which the person described what I assume to be the same problem:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/193577/dt770-headband-making-clicking-noise

Guess it's been happening for a while. As in his case, the issue didn't arise until after some time (one month of use for me). If it's true that the two parts that make contact are metal and durable, I won't dwell on it. I definitely want to avoid fiddling with the plastic blocks on the ends of the headband because I've heard that they tend to be the most breakage-prone part of the headphone, along with the pins that allow the earcups to rotate.

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #457 of 706
Oh, I understand now.

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #462 of 706
E10k is practically one the few worthwhile options at less than $100.  I like Schiit's Fulla better, it is punchier and with a less colored sound, plus the E10k's crosstalk gets on my nerves a bit.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #463 of 706
I've been using testing these recent days.. One thing I noticed with DT770-80 is that you should wear them very tightly gripped on your head, almost not letting them go over your ear.. Mine is set at tightest possible headband setting . If you wear them loosely, you will gain 5-10dB treble and they will sound ****ty and sibilant. With a tight fit you may lose some soundstage but the sound is much much more balanced..

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #464 of 706
Anyone using the Dekoni memoryfoam leather pads with ther DT770's? I joined a Massdrop on these, but paypal screwed me over so I'm not getting mine 
angry_face.gif
 Still interested in hearing impressions if anyone has them. I like the Alpha pads, but they are a bit bulky. I'f you have a massdrop account, please help me out by requesting another drop for these:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dekoni-earpads-for-m50x-and-beyerdynamic-dt

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #465 of 706
Guys.... Please dont be mean.... Just got a pair of custom one pros.... Is it too bad to like them more than a dt770 pro 80? :\
Yes the bass is a bit loose and the separation and soundstage are noy as good, but overall i like the sig a lot more then on the 770 wich to my ears is flatter..

To be honest after all the bashing o was expecting the cops to be horrible but i really liked them.... Its a sound that its smoother but at the same time not further from the m50x.... Its like a m50x and a dt770 had a smooth ass baby.... :D

If i am crazy shoot ahead.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back