Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread
Dec 2, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #437 of 706
I currently running the DT770 pro-80 that I just got a day ago off ebay from the Burson Lycan that I have. Which I have a pair of OPA627AU's installed which works nice with them so far. I had V5-OPA-D in lycan at first but with them the Highs was a little too harsh with the DT770 pro-80 but every thing else was great. The bass was controlled as well. Out the bunch of op-amps I had the OPA627AU and the Bursons worked. Later on after they burn in more I prolly try the bursons again with them and see what happens. For a second I though they sent me the 250ohm one instead as they had them inside the box, but it was wishful thinking for the amount I paid for the Pro-80 which was $99 mfg refurbished.

They won't be my main headphones of course but backup or when I on my laptop away from home or when I want something different then what my HE-500s me. In the future i may get a schiit fulla or something for my laptop usage over that X-FI Pro go usb that I have which isn't that good any way in the future.

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:54 AM Post #438 of 706
  I currently running the DT770 pro-80 that I just got a day ago off ebay from the Burson Lycan that I have. Which I have a pair of OPA627AU's installed which works nice with them so far. I had V5-OPA-D in lycan at first but with them the Highs was a little too harsh with the DT770 pro-80 but every thing else was great. The bass was controlled as well. Out the bunch of op-amps I had the OPA627AU and the Bursons worked. Later on after they burn in more I prolly try the bursons again with them and see what happens. For a second I though they sent me the 250ohm one instead as they had them inside the box, but it was wishful thinking for the amount I paid for the Pro-80 which was $99 mfg refurbished.

They won't be my main headphones of course but backup or when I on my laptop away from home or when I want something different then what my HE-500s me. In the future i may get a schiit fulla or something for my laptop usage over that X-FI Pro go usb that I have which isn't that good any way in the future.

$99 for a set of these is a great price, even refurbished. You can't even buy them used for that amount unless they have some issues. Nice buy!

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #439 of 706

Why not just import from amadon.de?

To those who offered, thanks for the offers on the used pairs, but I'm sort of a fetishist for buying new. I did end up importing them from Amazon Germany and they arrived today.

Buyer's remorse isn't an issue, but it is taking time to get adjusted. For context, I used V-shaped equalization for ages but stopped a couple of years ago in preparation for a more balanced audio experience. The cans I've been using for the past thirteen years are the Sony MDR-V300 (Google it for a good laugh), which are almost surely V-shaped on their own. The first thing I noticed when trying the Beyers for the first time is that the music sounds hollow and not so engaging, like it's coming from a telephone speaker. I already know that this is how some mid-focused pairs can be described by those without a taste for a flat signature. Have I just been abusing V-shaped hardware and EQ for so long that I'm too much of an idiot to hear that the Beyers are also V-shaped? They just sound kind of... plain. I read about "bloated bass" and "bright highs," but I can't imagine listening to a pair flatter than these. I can deduce that the FR (as opposed to some other aspect of the headphone) is the issue because when I adjust the EQ to be more V-shaped (which I do not want to make a habit of doing), the sound does become more appealing and familiar to me. Should I keep listening or start thinking that I made a boo-boo?

Since this is Head-Fi, I should clarify that I'm using these unamped from my desktop PC, but the volume ends up being about the same as the Sonys.

Dec 3, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #440 of 706
I'm very interested in these headphones, they are pretty cheap on amazon.de now but I'm little bit concerned about recessed mids and high sibilance to be honest. I would be using them with my Fiio E10K, desktop PC usage only (music, movies, games).  Looking for that FULL sound for a while.... I'm not a music producer and I don't work in a studio but really appreciate great sound...

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #441 of 706
Hey guys, not to sidetrack this thread but just sold my DT770 80s for the newer Beyer Custom One Studios.  They sound quite a bit like a refined DT770 80.  Tighter sounding and less mid-bass and a less sibilant treble at least on bass position 1,2, or 3 (light bass, neutral, extra bass) .  I posted some comparison photos over on the Custom One Studio thread.  They're also 80 ohm as well (possibly the same driver?).  I'm a Beyer fan and also own the DT1350 and DT880-32.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/750881/beyerdynamic-custom-studio

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #442 of 706
Hey guys, not to sidetrack this thread but just sold my DT770 80s for the newer Beyer Custom One Studios.  They sound quite a bit like a refined DT770 80.  Tighter sounding and less mid-bass and a less sibilant treble at least on bass position 1,2, or 3 (light bass, neutral, extra bass) .  I posted some comparison photos over on the Custom One Studio thread.  They're also 80 ohm as well (possibly the same driver?).  I'm a Beyer fan and also own the DT1350 and DT880-32.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/750881/beyerdynamic-custom-studio

I have to disagree with most of this. I owned the 770-80 for a while and sold them to try other things. I missed Beyers so I decided to try the COP. They were very nice for the most part but they were so sibilant they made my ears ring for a few hours after using them and I ended up selling them. I tried the M50x since I never got into any AT headphones but still missed the character of the Beyer bass. I gave the M50x to a friend and purchased the 770-32 with velour pads and have stuck with them for my office cans.

Everyone's ears are different, and my COPs were not the plus model (from what I read the only difference is accessories) but I did not find them to be a suitable replacement for the 770. Also, the COP is 16 Ohm not 80 Ohm so they aren't the same drivers.

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #443 of 706
Everyone's ears are different, and my COPs were not the plus model (from what I read the only difference is accessories) but I did not find them to be a suitable replacement for the 770. Also, the COP is 16 Ohm not 80 Ohm so they aren't the same drivers.

Im referring to the Custom Studios which are a recent release not the Custom One Pro. The Studios look to use the same housing but different drivers plus comes with velour pads.

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #445 of 706
Im referring to the Custom Studios which are a recent release not the Custom One Pro. The Studios look to use the same housing but different drivers plus comes with velour pads.

Oh, my apologies. Sounds like I will be trying a new Beyer soon then!

https://audiotraveler.wordpress.com/2015/01/25/ces-2015-the-personal-audio-perspective-beyerdynamics-custom-street-custom-pro-plus/

Yeah there's not much out there on these new guys. I linked to a bloggers quick intro to them at CES 2015. I'm trying to drum up some exposure on here and if people are up for another midfi Beyer :D (also my link to the other thread has a comparison photo with the Custom Studios, Dt880, and dt770)

Dec 13, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #446 of 706
Im surprised people say the mids on these headphones are recessed, they have the most forward vocals of any headphone I own and heard (LCD-2, hd650, dt990). Its also the least bright one of these. Im pleasantly surprised by these headphones. The subbass is heavenly!!

IMO, these are on the same level as the hd650. You trade some clarity (brightness?) for MUCH better low end, its so atmospheric. 

Dec 27, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #449 of 706
Hi everybody, im new in this thing of HiFi audio and want to buy a pair of cans (i actually have just a Bose IE2) and reading this thread i made my choice, i'll buy the DT 770-80, but im a bit worried about the sound variations of the same model, someone here related that bought 3 DT770-80 and they all sounded different, i cant go to a store to hear them before a i can buy, i will buy it online, can someone tell me something about it? The DTs have this variation of sound in the same model?

P.S. I will pair it with a FiiO E12

Thank you all for the attention :)

Dec 27, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #450 of 706
Already ordered these, and will compare to the V-Moda M100 which I have.

I only listen to EDM, and the M100 is great for that, but I feel the bass bleeds into the mids too much, and the upper treble part seems to be cut-off, which doesn't give a sense of air or sparkle at all. The M100 sound kind of muffled and somewhat muddy to my ears. After the initial 'Woah, that bass' feeling from the M100, I was kinda disappointed that the mids and treble were not up to par. Soundstage is kind of closed, but the main thing is that the clarity and detail were lacking.

Hopefully the DT770-80 will be an improvement in those areas, while still delivering on the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back