Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread
Jul 24, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #406 of 706
They all varied in bass and treble quality.  Nothing noticeable in midrange, though.  In addition to those three I've repaired a few dozen DT770-80s for other folks around here, mostly studio folks and "bedroom DJs".  Using my only my own earpads, I heard some with flatulent, one-note bass and some had sick, rock-solid bass that reminds me of my T50p.  Most fell somewhere in between.  Some had clear treble, some had dark and murky treble.  Some had both superb bass and clear treble, some had poor bass and treble, and most were somewhere in between or had great bass and poor treble or good treble and poor bass.  My current DT770-250 is rather an average sample.  I really don't feel like going through the hassle of getting a "golden sample".
All versions od DT770, and I've even heard a 600-ohm DT770, have the right kind of sound for those generes, it's just that the 250-ohm has a tighter sound than the 80-ohm if paired with a desktop amp and the 600-ohm is an upgrade over the 250, but also must be paired with a desktop amp.

If you use DT770 mostly with portable devices or USB-powered stuff, then the 80-ohm is the better choice.

I don't like anything about DT990-250's sound, I felt it is just a terrible headphone, but it has its fanbase here.  I loved the 600-ohm version, though, really sounds like T90's predecessor of sorts.

I am almost 100% sure tha the 80 ohm version is for me.... I am a guy that likes solid base but also some raw power in guitars and thats why i love the hd25 so much. My favoutrite headphones so far are all fun, hd25, m50, cal! And the over ear momentum. Since all of the other versions of the dt770 seem to be softer sounding and since the 80ohm version seems the one that gets more compared to the m50 and hd25 i am pretty sure that the 80ohm is the one to get. I am just a bit affraid now because i had no idea there were so many variations... One more reason for me to buy on amazon.... If i think tsomething sounds odd i can always ask for a replacement pair on the first 30 days.... Thing is i never tried any beyer so unless it doesnt sound good to my ears i want be able to iknow if it sounds like is supposed to.... :D

Lets see how it go's....

But once again how should a standard dt770 80ohm sound like? Or the variations are so big that there no such thing as a standard dt770 80ohm sound...? :D

Oh and yes i am going mostly to use them on my air 2 and my note 4. I also got a topping nx1 as a starters amp...

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #407 of 706
Standard DT770 will make an unmodified M50 with stock earpads sound like flabby crap with poor soundstaging.  It's sound attack will be close to HD25.  I'm sure you'll like it.

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #408 of 706
  Hey everyone,

I received my pair of DT 770 80 Ohms yesterday. Good, solid headphones. But you might of guessed it, It's time for an AMP/DAC. ( I plug them into my PC directly, I listen to almost all types of music, but I'd say mostly Hip-Hop.

Now this is what I could really use some help with: I can't decide what AMP ( Or DAC? ) to get. 

This is what I've been looking at : 

The Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2: http://www.amazon.com/AUDIOQUEST-DRAGONFLY-V1-2-USB-DAC/dp/B00H00VLZQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

The Fiio e10K: http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10K-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00LP3AMC2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1437097120&sr=1-1&keywords=e10k&pebp=1437097123066&perid=0ZNZ5ZCN4FCK5630WB6M

Both look good to me and I'm totally fine with spending 150-200$. I'm just looking for something that will improve my sound the most. 

( I live in The Netherlands, almost impossible to aqquire Schiit stuff )

Cheers! 
smily_headphones1.gif

The e10k will do a fantastic job. I am extremely happy that I went with it. It has a bass boost for when you really want that low end and is more than capable of driving the DT770 80-ohm to uncomfortable volumes without distortion.

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #409 of 706
Really, any amp Fiio makes will drive the 80-ohm with authority. I used the DT770 80-ohm for about a YEAR out of the Fiio E5 and had no complaints at all, especially at the $26 price. I would personally recommend the Fiio E12 if you're going for portability. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #410 of 706
got a pair of 80 ohm dtt770 pros this week and i also thought people exagerate about their bass quantity. They have very nice and forward low end but from what i recall of the ath m50s they are very similar in terms of sound signature....

Now that i had the ath m50, the hd25 and the dt770 pro imo opinion i think that i can say that there are people who exagerate when comparing the 3 and they almost describe them as being completely different at times.... The sound signature on the 3 is very very similar, its just a question of a tiny bit more/less bass quantity, tighter looser bass, more natura vs unnatural highs and the mids are all very close... Maybe the m50 as less mids, the dt770comes next and the hd25 imo opinion as the better mids but once again this are very subtle things....

Oh and soundstage is also of course better on the beyers..... it is also true that a amp helps with the dt770.... whats curious for example is that without an amp they still sound great out of my 4th gen ipod touch but not so much on my ipad air 2..... weird....

Aug 11, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #411 of 706
(long time reader...)

i too would like to chime in on this appreciation thread with my purchase decision, thoughts and comparisons (to HE-400):

purchase reason:

last year, i took up learning bass guitar and over time that has worn on the woman so i needed a pair of closed cans that would allow me to practice in the office as opposed to non-temperature controlled garage.  also, the headphone plug on my Fender Rumble 40 bass amp seemed very under powered so, i needed to look for a lower-ish Ohm headphone.   i did quite a bit of research which lead me to five finalists in the under $300 category:

ATH-m50x, Sony MDRV6, AKG 550/ 551, BD DT-770 pro 80ohm and the Sennheiser HD380 pro

i heard the Sony's, m50x and Beyers at the local guitar center and 770's delivered on what i was looking for - tight, clear and pronounced bass.   the others, while nice just weren't in the same league.   i tried the AKG 550's at a local Magnolia - and while the environment wasn't the best, i couldn't get a good seal at all with those things.  and, i already have a pair of the HD380's.   since my skillset isn't anywhere close to being into music creation, reference class cans weren't my goal.  

initial thoughts:

on the way home, i played them through an iPad air 2 with the Can Opener App (if you haven't bought it, check it out - well worth exploring for headphone junkies).   at first listen, i noticed they *may need an amp with an iPad.   the music was clear, but i did notice the volume at around 70-90% as opposed to my regular listening levels of ~50% with IEM's / earbuds.  

i actually may be one those (noobs) most Head-Fi'ers make fun of in that i appreciate a V Sound- very rarely leave the EQ flat.  most of my favorite music consists of 80's new wave, ska/ punk, classic/ alternative rock, industrial and some EDM 

Lossless .WAV
English Beat - Save it for Later
New Order - Regret
Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains the Same
Daft Punk - Phoenix
NIN - Sin

While not completely comprehensive, this is my playlist for initial headphone listening but, my goodness... the SIBILANCE!  a play through of about five songs almost had me package the 770's back up for return before even getting home.  trying to avoid buyer's remorse, i decided to burn them in.    ~70 hours of burn-in and a week of usage later (Win 7, Foobar/ AIMP w/ ASUS STX at med/ high gain) i have a much different appreciation for the cans.

i have toned down the EQ to a warm-ish setting and these things are surprisingly enjoyable.  maybe its a placebo but i am no longer bothered by the upper end and in fact, kind of appreciate it's forwardness.   however, where these things shine is in the BASS - they are just as advertised in that department.  controlled, clear and has the punch when needed.  the High's are still there and need to be tamed, but they are

i have a pair of HiFiMan HE-400's that were a nice set to compare against.  initial thoughts are as you'd imagine - its very easy tell the how much more "forward" the closed cans sound against the open planars.  when alone, i think i prefer a more open, wider soundstage, calmer listening experience while not worrying about the bleed for others in the room (a.k.a the whiny woman).   in all other circumstances, i can easily wear and enjoy the BD 770's without constantly thinking i am missing pieces of the songs playing in my ears.

and last but not least, these things are FANTASTIC when plugged into my BASS amp for practicing the four stringer.

one last thing to mention that's got me scratching my head:  these things are rated at 80ohm but the HE 400 seem to be at 35ohm yet the BD's seem way easier to drive.   on my sound card, i need to set the BD's to HIGH Gain and HiFiMan's to Extra HIGH Gain to achieve the same results.

my final impressions:

PRO's:
Fantastic Bass, clear treble
Velour pads - very comfortable
"fun" sound
long, non-coiled cord - (10'?)

CON's:
treble needs taming (and this is coming from someone who loves a brighter sound)
Velour pads get warm
plastic casing looks cheap
a little tight on the temples

amateur equipment used:
Apple iPad 2 air
Win PC, ASUS STX
Fender Rumble 40 Bass Amp
Vintage record player, amp (Sansui and Dual 1019)

Aug 12, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #412 of 706
TA DA!!!!!!! :D

http://postimg.org/image/mhxz0uxlz/

Going to compare both tonight..... :) But the hd25-1 ii is still my favourite....

No disrespect to my fellow headfiers, but.... can someone tell me where the hell is the dt770 pro 80ohm is a bass monster??? Ok its obviously boosted above neutral and it has a generous amount of bass that is enough for edm but some people describe them as super bass heavy.... they have (a litlle) less bass than the ath m50x, the difference is that the m50x is of course easier to drive and as more midbass wich makes them have a bit more impact while the bass on the dt770 does not hit as hard but is no slouch either (also the fact that on the m50x the drivers are almost glued to our ears makes the bass impact a lot more noticeable while on the m50 they are more distant wich results in a bit less impact but on the other hand much better soundstage), the mids are about the same if not better on the beyers (but mostly the same) and the highs are maybe even more prominent on the m50x (just a tiny bit)..... of course the m50 is more versatyle as it can be used at home and outside due to the size and sensibility, amping the m50x on my nx1 tightens the sound a bit but is barely noticeable while on the tdt770 the nx1 adds volume, tightness to the bass and everything is even better separated and smoother, but the thing here is.... people make describe them as being sooo different when in fact, IMO they are more similar than different.... i think its mostly a question of "do you have an amp?" or of "do you plan to use them outside"? Not that the dt770 sound svery bad without an amp but on them it helps while on the m50x not so much... confort and soundstage there is not even a contest.... dt770 wins....

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #413 of 706
Need someone to recommend me pads for the DT-770 pro. Current problems I find with DT-770 pro are the velour pads, does not really suit me so wanting leather. Also the DT-770 Pro feels clampy, so maybe a pad that lessen the clamps? I am in United Kingdom, so overseas pads are a no-go for me. Apparently Alpha Pads from Mrspeakers are good, however they only sell those overseas and delivering here to the UK is a huge hassle.

Apparently there are these pads, they are pretty expensive but anyone know if they are any good? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-Replacement-Earpads-for-DT770/dp/B008XHU9ZS/ref=pd_sim_267_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0AXE7388NYAJHTXJE7FV

Aug 15, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #414 of 706
I seriously doubt they'll be any less clampy that way.

Instead bend them outwards little by little until they are loose enough for you. The headband is stainless steel covered in padding, so no, it won't break.

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #415 of 706
I seriously doubt they'll be any less clampy that way.

Instead bend them outwards little by little until they are loose enough for you. The headband is stainless steel covered in padding, so no, it won't break.

You removed your quoting about my experience with the dt770?

Its not that they are bass light, the still have very present bass but when compared to the m50x they have noticeably less impact.

Not that i dont like them, i do. I am also not very interested in trying different unit and sending others back to amazon since that requires a lot of patience.... to be honest i really did not want much more bass as well. The bass impact on the m50x is sometimes too much... something between the hd25 with pleather pads and m50x bass is perfect for me.

From what ive been reading like me many others had the same impression as me. They are not bass light but like me many others were thinking they would be super bass heavy and afterall its not the case. From what ive been reading from malveaux posts also theirs are bassy but no super bassy as many describe.... my dt770 as written on the box that was produced in 2014 so is one of the most recent ones. I also read that manu people were expecting them to be all bass and trebele and found the mids, although recessed, not that bad...

Is it possible that the newer versions are morr balanced?

Even amped to mu topping nx1 the bass impact gets a bit better and punchier but still not m50x heavy or impactfull.

Aug 15, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #416 of 706
Need someone to recommend me pads for the DT-770 pro. Current problems I find with DT-770 pro are the velour pads, does not really suit me so wanting leather. Also the DT-770 Pro feels clampy, so maybe a pad that lessen the clamps? I am in United Kingdom, so overseas pads are a no-go for me. Apparently Alpha Pads from Mrspeakers are good, however they only sell those overseas and delivering here to the UK is a huge hassle.

Apparently there are these pads, they are pretty expensive but anyone know if they are any good? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-Replacement-Earpads-for-DT770/dp/B008XHU9ZS/ref=pd_sim_267_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0AXE7388NYAJHTXJE7FV

I did not find the part number on that Amazon page, but it looks like the right thing. The soft skin pads go by 'EDT 770 S': http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/ohrmuschelsatz-73.html

Beyer lists them at €19,90 btw., but shipping outside of Germany is rather expensive when ordering from them directly.

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #417 of 706
Hey everyone, recently I've been looking into 'good' headphones and have decided to buy the BeyerDynamic DT 770 PRO. I am using it like a week now and it is without any doubt the best headphone I have ever had. Today I received my FiiO E07K. Combined and I am very please with the sound I have. There is one thing I don't know so much about yet and I'm hoping people with experience here can help me. In the gain settings there is an option to select 0, 6 (default) and 12. Despite the fact I have read many blogs and posts on different forums I don't know exactly which the ideal setting would be with my headphones. 6 or 12? Can the BeyerDynamic handle both without any problems? Can someone give me a bit of in-depth information about gain without it becoming extremely complicated? Thanks!

Sep 5, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #418 of 706
Hi, been lurking (no have not read through all the thread!), but the dt770 gets rave reviews for gaming here in Norway. Uhhm ok (have been an akg guy til now, with k612, k271mkii and older k171's). However, given reviews, dying to try a pair. However, Beyer is pushing their Custom One line at the moment....anyone had any experience with them versus the pretty well-known dt770 (and 880 etc)?.  Are they worth looking at or a gimmick? Frankly not sure at this point whether to spring for dt770 or dt880/990...for gaming cans (with a mod mic)...soundstage etc should be better with the open cans/990's....

On the other hand, have to decide on ohms as well...it will either be low impedance, for mobile, or something that has to be driven by my old v-can's on the desktop....supposedly custom one is made for this (dunno iff I can see myself with giant studio cans on the bus, but whatever!)...any thoughts?

regards!

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #419 of 706
I powered mine with an E10K and they sounded pretty good but I felt the bass was a bit much with the bass switch on or off. I am currently trying out some HE400's which I feel sound better across most genres. Might try them on a different amp in the future to see if they sound any better.

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #420 of 706

Not actually leather, but the HM5 pads fit my DT770's with no problem.

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1-pair

Ships from China, so hopefully getting them shipped to the UK won't be an issue....

I have no experience with the pads you linked to, but the Mrspeaker pads are simply fantastic and fit well also. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back