Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm Thread
Apr 30, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #391 of 706

I just got a response from the seller. He says he got them 5 years ago from Guitar Center, but he's only used them "for only a month". I'm trying to find out the impedance. Of course I just purchased the 250 ohm Pro's from Adomara for $120 (after rebate), and I already have the 80 ohm version. I was just curious.

Any reason to jump on this? Are the old ones better, by any standards?

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #392 of 706
I think they're 80ohm.

pic is small but it looks like it says 2 x 80 ohm. As far as I know there are no differences between older 80ohm and newer in terms of sound, only cosmetic changes to make it look more modern I guess. 

May 1, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #395 of 706
Hey guys, I hope this is appropriate here. I've been reading up on these headphones and I am pretty set on them (I absolutely love my DT990s), but I just wanted to check that the portable DAC/amp I'm looking at (The Geek Out 450) would drive them. Given that they are 80 Ohm and a lot of people find they run well on their portable players/laptops I'm guessing that these could sound even better with a bit more amplification. I just don't want to lock this portable combo in and find that the amp doesn't actually benefit these headphones! Thanks for any help :].

May 1, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #396 of 706

No amp, it's plugged straight into the back of the computer (using Spotify)

Spotify HD ?

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #397 of 706
Asus Orion headset vs Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm

Not really a review, but first impressions. After 2 days of listening to the DT 770s and then comparing several songs (hip hop, trance and stuff like that) with both headphones I can say that DT 770 does sound a lot better than the Asus Orion. It's pretty much like you compare your chitty IEMs that came with your phone to the ones you bought later - the old ones sound like chit in every way - they have really noticable worse audio quality. People say DT 770 are bass heavy, but when I first put on my bass heavy song I was like - well, where is the bass then? For people like me who doesn't take audio seriously and just want a pair of good headphones for gaming, movies and music - I wouldn't take audiophile suggestions and reviews for granted, specially now that I bought 2 headphones based on their reviews and suggestions. I'm not attacking anyone here, by the way. So the bass was really almost non existent, but it was simply fixed by upping the low frequencies (in Asus Xonar DG) which are 30 and 60 khz (?) for about ~10 decibels, but you would have to adjust them yourself to what you like. 

If you want to use DT 770 80 ohm headphones with Asus Xonar DG or similar sound card then you definitely don't need an amp for this, unless you're deaf. I have reduced windows sound levels to 50% and youtube sound level to about 1/4 and it is loud enough.

Comfort - earcups feel nice, not as plushy as Orion's though. The velour earcups seem to have memory foam in it, it slowly is taking shape to my head. Headband is not bad either, doesn't hurt top of my head so that's great compared to the AKG K612 naked leather on top of my head joke.

p.s. Might edit this post and add what I think about positional audio in Battlefield 4 and/or CS GO when I try it out. With Asus Orion there was none.

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #398 of 706
What do you guys think of a topping nx1 to power a dt770? Good or bad match? I am mostly going to use this gear on a ipad air 2 and a note 4.....

I am mostly a rock indie (stuff like thom york, metronomy, artic monkyes, maximo park, bloc part, biffy clyro)) pop (coldplay to ellie golding) and edm (old school tiesto, ferry corsten and above & beyond trance, prog stuff like guy j and pryda).... Would you guys recomend me the 32, 80, or 250 ohm version?

Usually i prefer low impedance headphones that dont need amps but is it me or the 32 ohm pro seems to be a softer sounding headphone than the 250 and 80 ohm versions?

My favourite headphones so far are the cal!, hd25-1 Ii, ath m50 and the over ear sennheiser momentum....

A little help please....

Cheers...

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #399 of 706
What do you guys think of a topping nx1 to power a dt770? Good or bad match? I am mostly going to use this gear on a ipad air 2 and a note 4.....

I am mostly a rock indie (stuff like thom york, metronomy, artic monkyes, maximo park, bloc part, biffy clyro)) pop (coldplay to ellie golding) and edm (old school tiesto, ferry corsten and above & beyond trance, prog stuff like guy j and pryda).... Would you guys recomend me the 32, 80, or 250 ohm version?

Usually i prefer low impedance headphones that dont need amps but is it me or the 32 ohm pro seems to be a softer sounding headphone than the 250 and 80 ohm versions?

My favourite headphones so far are the cal!, hd25-1 Ii, ath m50 and the over ear sennheiser momentum....

A little help please....

Cheers...

Anyone please?

Jul 16, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #401 of 706
Hey everyone,

I received my pair of DT 770 80 Ohms yesterday. Good, solid headphones. But you might of guessed it, It's time for an AMP/DAC. ( I plug them into my PC directly, I listen to almost all types of music, but I'd say mostly Hip-Hop.

Now this is what I could really use some help with: I can't decide what AMP ( Or DAC? ) to get. 

This is what I've been looking at : 

The Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2: http://www.amazon.com/AUDIOQUEST-DRAGONFLY-V1-2-USB-DAC/dp/B00H00VLZQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

The Fiio e10K: http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10K-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00LP3AMC2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1437097120&sr=1-1&keywords=e10k&pebp=1437097123066&perid=0ZNZ5ZCN4FCK5630WB6M

Both look good to me and I'm totally fine with spending 150-200$. I'm just looking for something that will improve my sound the most. 

( I live in The Netherlands, almost impossible to aqquire Schiit stuff )

Cheers! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #402 of 706
Thanks!

Really enjoying DT770 with my Qinpu A3 tube amp, such a nice combination.  Now I think I understand what's special about Beyers + tubes.  That reminds me, I haven't tried my T50p with the A3 for kicks.

Update: sold off that first DT770, and two sets later (lol), I've got one with much tighter bass and better mid/upper treble.  Now I've got a keeper.

You went through 3 different pair of 80ohm dt770s? Variations on the sound on each unit?

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #403 of 706
You went through 3 different pair of 80ohm dt770s? Variations on the sound on each unit?

Oh yeah.  Manufacturing tolerances aren't that tight on Beyerdynamic headphones.  I rolled DT770-80s and heard more variations than I expected.  I'm now on a 250-ohm DT770, though.

Jul 24, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #404 of 706
Oh yeah.  Manufacturing tolerances aren't that tight on Beyerdynamic headphones.  I rolled DT770-80s and heard more variations than I expected.  I'm now on a 250-ohm DT770, though.

Damn.... I am really wanting a 80ohm one but that scares me a bit.... Were they very different? How is a 80ohm dt770 supposed to sound then?

I was about to buy at thomann due to the 3 yeara of warranty but that way ill just buy rhem on amazon since they are top notch with returns. A couple of months ago i had a xperia z ultra... 2 first ones has weird display so amazon not only trade me for as many times as it was necessary but also they extendes me the period to return the faulty items so that i could compare the good z ultra with the faulty ones and to check that everything was fine.

Just a ciuple more. things by the way.... tou think the 250ohm its better than 80? For someone that listen mostly to indie, pop, rnb, a bit of agressive and punky rock and edm (specially progressive and trance) wich would you recomend?
Also the dt990 (250) its costing pretry much as the dt770 right now... Wich would you guys reconend as a better all musical all rounder and as a better fit to the genres i mentioned?

Jul 24, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #405 of 706
Damn.... I am really wanting a 80ohm one but that scares me a bit.... Were they very different? How is a 80ohm dt770 supposed to sound then?

I was about to buy at thomann due to the 3 yeara of warranty but that way ill just buy rhem on amazon since they are top notch with returns. A couple of months ago i had a xperia z ultra... 2 first ones has weird display so amazon not only trade me for as many times as it was necessary but also they extendes me the period to return the faulty items so that i could compare the good z ultra with the faulty ones and to check that everything was fine.

Just a ciuple more. things by the way.... tou think the 250ohm its better than 80? For someone that listen mostly to indie, pop, rnb, a bit of agressive and punky rock and edm (specially progressive and trance) wich would you recomend?
Also the dt990 (250) its costing pretry much as the dt770 right now... Wich would you guys reconend as a better all musical all rounder and as a better fit to the genres i mentioned?

They all varied in bass and treble quality.  Nothing noticeable in midrange, though.  In addition to those three I've repaired a few dozen DT770-80s for other folks around here, mostly studio folks and "bedroom DJs".  Using my only my own earpads, I heard some with flatulent, one-note bass and some had sick, rock-solid bass that reminds me of my T50p.  Most fell somewhere in between.  Some had clear treble, some had dark and murky treble.  Some had both superb bass and clear treble, some had poor bass and treble, and most were somewhere in between or had great bass and poor treble or good treble and poor bass.  My current DT770-250 is rather an average sample.  I really don't feel like going through the hassle of getting a "golden sample".
All versions od DT770, and I've even heard a 600-ohm DT770, have the right kind of sound for those generes, it's just that the 250-ohm has a tighter sound than the 80-ohm if paired with a desktop amp and the 600-ohm is an upgrade over the 250, but also must be paired with a desktop amp.

If you use DT770 mostly with portable devices or USB-powered stuff, then the 80-ohm is the better choice.

I don't like anything about DT990-250's sound, I felt it is just a terrible headphone, but it has its fanbase here.  I loved the 600-ohm version, though, really sounds like T90's predecessor of sorts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back